Mythos Diagram Please

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

trimtab
Associate

Post by trimtab » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Campbell said that this was his masterpiece.

You know, the diagram he presents in the Mythos lecture series available on video. I want the diagram. I could freeze the video and recreate it. However, I was actually expecting it to be under "The Metaphor" tab. Instead, I find a meld of a tribute to Bucky combined with tribal images.

Would somebody please email me a copy:
[email protected]

Since Campbell said this diagram was his masterpiece, shouldn't it be more prominent on this site? Or, am I lame and just can't find it. Or, did Campbell claim to have multiple master works?

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely

Ben Mack
http://www.pokerWITHOUTcards.com
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hi Ben and welcome to the forums! I'll check with my colleagues and see what we can find.

Don't hang up!

Michael
JCF Forum Moderator
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
trimtab
Associate

Thank you Clemsy.

The warm vibe of this site is invigorating. I fear I am more crass and angry than most of the spirits I have read here.

I am most appreciative of your efforts to find this image. Tom Depriest is in Tampa tonight and tomorrow. I would like to have him turn Campbell's masterpiece into a tattoo.

with gratitude,

Ben G S Mack
trimtab
Associate

no luck finding a jpeg or anything I guess.

Thank you for looking

Best wishes,

Ben
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hi Ben, sorry for not getting back sooner. I did find out recently that when Campbell said the diagram was a "masterpiece" that he was really making fun of his own poor drawing skills.

The diagram is not available at present, but may be included in an eventual publishing of Mythos.

Michael
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Poncho
Associate

Post by Poncho » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hi trimtab

As a consolation prize, you might be interested in this image if you press HERE and HERE

They were provided by David Kudler and by Martin Weyers on other threads.

ivor orr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ivor orr on 2004-09-16 07:23 ]</font>
porcupine
Associate

Post by porcupine » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

There are a lot of diagrams in Mythos so I'm not exactly sure which one you want, but maybe you mean the corpus hermeticum? If so, here is the image: http://www.izwuz.com/corpus_hermeticum.gif
Bryan<br><br>"My patron saint is fighting with a ghost. He's always off somewhere when I need him most."
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Porcupine, that image is actually from a book called Practicum musica by Garforius. I've been interested in it for some time, and thought I'd take this opportunity to ask if anyone knew if there was an English translation of the book.

Thanks - Robert

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert G. on 2004-09-18 00:57 ]</font>
porcupine
Associate

Post by porcupine » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

You got my curiousity with that name Garforius. I googled him and absolutely no results appear. Is it possible the name is different...ok, tried it again, it's Gafurius. Here's a pretty cool link where you can search libraries in america for the book. I found several copies in my homestate alone.

http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/o ... 7cbeb.html
Bryan<br><br>"My patron saint is fighting with a ghost. He's always off somewhere when I need him most."
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Thank you so much! I got the spelling out of the Transformations of Myth Through Time book, and just assumed he was really obscure ....
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I hadn't noticed this inconsistency before - i first came across Gafurius in The Masks of God, Vol. IV, Creative Mythology, where Campbell spells the name correctly

... but sure enough, the same name appears as Garforius in Transformations of Myth Through Time ...

Not hard to imagine the origin of this discrepancy. The books published during Joseph Campbell's lifetime were written in his own hand (i understand he preferred yellow notepads and several sharp pencils - boggles my brain in today's computer age, especially considering the man's output!), so he would have spelled the name correctly.

Transformations of Myth..., however, is transcribed from a series of lectures Campbell gave in the last years of his life (which comprise the core of the Mythos presentations), published after Campbell's death. My guess would be that whoever prepared the transcript spelled the name the way s/he heard it - easy to make such errors, based on misunderstood pronunciations of the spoken word.

My guess is that the stenographer who transcribed the lectures wouldn't be expected to tell a Gafurius from a Garforius - but i am surprised this wasn't caught in the editing process. It's hardly a common name, and not well-known, like Kant or Aquinas, so a quick fact-check would seem common sense.

But then, such minor errors slip through in every book. It's no biggie when the occasional mundane word is misspelled - though it is a major drawback when an editing error makes it more difficult for the average reader to track down a primary source.

Ironically, when first reading this thread, i thought the error was Robert's - so i'm glad you pointed out the discrepancy!

bodhibliss

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodhi_Bliss on 2004-10-03 12:40 ]</font>