Transcripts of audio downloads

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

grdnfrk
Associate

Post by grdnfrk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Does anyone have transcripts of the Man & Myth series? After listening to them a few times I find I want to answer back to Campbell or ask him things, and I'd really like to be able to note my commentary down on a copy of the text, as a way to organize my thoughts.

Thanks - Robert
Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hi Robert,

I have referred your query to David Kudler, the Joseph Campbell Foundation's Publishing Director.
David_Kudler
Working Associate

Post by David_Kudler » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I'm sorry I can't give you the answer that you're looking for.

We get this request a lot; the answer is posted in our FAQs, but I will reproduce it here:
I'd love to get a transcript of a Campbell audio/video recording. Can you provide these?
Many of Campbell's recorded lectures have been released in book form and can be found at your local library or bookstore. Search through our Campbell Works page to find what you are looking for.

If what you seek isn't there, don't despair; we're currently in the process of developing books from many of these recordings.

Unfortunately, because of these projects, we are unable to provide unpublished transcripts to Campbell's lectures at this time.
One of our long-term goals is to get a cross-referenced database fully functional on the Works page, so that you'll be able to see which lectures have been used in which books.

If it's of any help, four of the five lectures in Man and Myth have been incorporated as chapters in Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Psychological Transformation.

publications at jcf dot org
(take out the spaces and replace the "at" with "@" and the "dot" with ".")

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David_Kudler on 2004-09-14 11:41 ]</font>
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Thanks David. I'm embarrassed to say that I had read the FAQ but simply forgot. I think I will go ahead and transcribe at least one of the lectures, Society and Symbol, myself. This is the one where I most often find myself in conversation with the recording! Would the JCF have objections to that transcript being posted somewhere once it is completed?

Another question I had is: does anyone have info on where and when each recording was made? My understanding is that this information is not even included with the purchased CDs of the lectures. I would like to:
1) Have this information for myself; and
2) Suggest that it be added to the online descriptions of each lecture, and incorporated in the mp3 tag file information.

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robert G. on 2004-09-17 15:58 ]</font>
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

On 2004-09-17 15:58, Robert G. wrote:
Would the JCF have objections to that transcript being posted somewhere once it is completed?
Robert, I don't think it's a good idea to post the complete lecture somewhere, since this would be certainly a violation of copyrights. And to protect copyrights does make sense of course, because without, it would be difficult to distribute books and to do the work the Foundation does, partly based on earning royalties.
Another question I had is: does anyone have info on where and when each recording was made? My understanding is that this information is not even included with the purchased CDs of the lectures. I would like to:
1) Have this information for myself; and
2) Suggest that it be added to the online descriptions of each lecture, and incorporated in the mp3 tag file information.
Thanks for the suggestion! I would myself be interested to know more about the concrete time and place for each lecture.

David mentioned his new book PATHWAYS OF BLISS, and that some of the lectures from MAN AND MYTHS have been incorporated. I found some specifications concerning several original lectures, that (though incomplete) may be of interest: The Necessity of Myth (May 9, 1968, at Amherst College & April 17, 1969, at the University of Vermont); Man and Myth (Octobre 16, 1972, Canadian University Loyola of Montreál).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin_Weyers on 2004-09-20 14:58 ]</font>
Robert G.
Associate

Thanks Martin! I think it's fascinating to be able to place Campbell's work in time and space, and in the arc of his career. Does the reference to two separate dates for The Neccessity of Rites mean that the dowmload is composed of two separate recordings?

As for the transcripts, I don't want to infringe the copyright of course, but I'm a little hazy on what the harm would be since the lectures themselves are being made available for free downloading. However, I know that's not my call, so before I finish the document (I'm a little over a third of the way through) and do anything with it, I thought I'd email the JCF publication department and get their official position.

Thanks again - Robert
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Yes, Robert, if you still want to post it, you should ask for permission. David Kudler would be your contact person - you know, the guy with the encrypted e-mail address! :grin:

publications at jcf dot org
(take out the spaces and replace the "at" with "@" and the "dot" with ".")

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin_Weyers on 2004-09-21 07:45 ]</font>
David_Kudler
Working Associate

Robert--thanks for the interest.

I'm going to be a party-pooper again: please don't post the transcript. As Martin points out, there are questions of copyright, some of which we control, but...

In point of fact, permissions for citing from the recordings belong to HighBridge Audio, the distributor. And I'm pretty certain they would not wish you to post a transcript.

You are welcome to use the transcript for your own use, of course.

As for the pair of dates on Necessity of Myth.... Yup. Campbell often gave the same lecture in different locations. Combining the two allows me to fill in any gaps (Campbell often spoke without notes, and while his lectures were brilliant, there were occasional lacunae), and to expand the chapter both in its breadth and depth. Of course, we can't do that with the audio recordings, as you'd hear the switch from one lecture to another.
Robert G.
Associate

Thank you, David, for the information. I have sent a request to HighBridge Audio, asking if they can help pin down the locations and dates of the original recordings. I was only able to locate their general customer information email address from their website, and have not heard back form them. I wondered if you might know of a better contact for this type of request. If you do, and are able to share it with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you - Robert
David_Kudler
Working Associate

Robert--when it comes to dates and locations, they'll probably send you back here. We're the ones who pulled the recordings and packaged them--HighBridge is just the distributor. They however control the right to grant permissions, etc.

Which lectures do you want to know the date and time for? (Some are easier for me to figure out than others.)
Robert G.
Associate

Thanks David, I guess the lectures I'm most interested are the ones I've downloaded so far, the Man and Myth series and now starting on The Myths and Masks of God.
Robert G.
Associate

This is HighBridge's official position on The Joseph Campbell Audio Collection lectures:
Robert,
Although HighBridge produced the audiorecording, the rights to the
recording and the underlying work are owned by the Joseph Campbell Foundation.