Jung Quote

Are you looking for a quotation that you can't quite place? Trying to track down a hard-to-find publication? Here, folks can help you find the answers, or discuss ways for you to discover them for yourself.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Siddha
Associate

Post by Siddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

In "Man and his symbols" I read a line from Jung that said something like:

"We encounter ourselves a thousand times a day in the people we meet"

I'm not sure I wrote it exactly as it is translated in this book and I'd prefer not to read the whole book over again right now just to find this passage. Can anyone help?

Cliff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cliff on 2004-09-25 14:01 ]</font>
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

That certainly rings a bell. Though i'm not inclined to flip through Man and His Symbols right this moment either, i'm confident one or another of us will track the reference down in the next day or two.

I am, however, reminded of a parallel point Joseph Campbell makes in Creative Mythology, p. 197:
The modern reader will think of the Rohrshach Test, with its ink-blots in which different people see different forms, symptomatic of the psychology of their own fantasizing minds. And the world itself, it is said by some, is such an ink-blot, into which people read their own minds: the ordered universe, the great course of history and evolution, the norms of human life. There is a passage to this effect in Ulysses, in the scene where Stephen, in the library, is arguing a point with John Eglinton. "We walk," Stephen states, "through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love. But always meeting ourselves."

Stephen Dedalus, in this conversation, has just quoted a line from Maeterlinck: "'If Socrates leave his house today he will find the sage seated on his doorstep. If Judas go forth tonight it is to Judas his steps will tend.'"
We seem to participate in the creation of reality by our experience of that reality - which brings us by a round-about way to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle in quantum physics, where the observer determines what is observed

... certainly spins my brain!

bodhi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodhi_Bliss on 2004-10-03 16:52 ]</font>
Myrtle
Associate

Post by Myrtle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Bodhi,

I was browsing through some of the earlier messages and noticed this question:
Siddha wrote:In "Man and his symbols" I read a line from Jung that said something like:

"We encounter ourselves a thousand times a day in the people we meet"

I'm not sure I wrote it exactly as it is translated in this book and I'd prefer not to read the whole book over again right now just to find this passage. Can anyone help?
The quote looks like this one from Jung's Collected Works: The Practice of Psychotherapy
"Hence, unless we prefer to be made fools of by our illusions, we shall, by carefully analysing every fascination, extract from it a portion of our own personality, like a quintessence, and slowly come to recognize that we meet ourselves time and again in a thousand disguises on the path of life." C. Jung
Waka
Associate

Post by Waka » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:56 am

This quote now makes me want to read my copy of man and his symbols.
Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.- Buddha<br>Let yourself be free. :-)
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks Mrytle, for identifying the quote from Jung Siddha mentioned (Jung has such a massive body of work that it can be quite a task sifting through the volumes for a specific line).

Waka - When I have a free weekend there is little I enjoy more than immersing myself in Carl Jung's work. True, Jung's writing is dense (in the sense that so much is packed into any one sentence) and sometimes he makes the reader work for it, but no one apart from Campbell, James Hillman, and Heinrich Zimmer (whose work in English is really proto-Campbell) so spins my brain and stirs my soul ...
sladeb
Associate

Post by sladeb » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Good morning from Australia. Just wanted to mention that a Jungian Analyst by the name of Daryl Sharp has put together a VERY useful lexicon of Jungian Terms. I use this reference regularly, although in this case there was no hint to help with this enquiry. The lexicon can be obtained at:

http://www.psychceu.com/Jung/sharplexicon.html
The one thing I have learned about the quest journey is that as soon as you draw to the close of one quest - another calls and the journey begins once more.