A Perfect Example of What?

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Robert G.
Associate

A Perfect Example of What?

Post by Robert G. » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:50 pm

I was channel surfing the religious shows the other day, and two things have been bugging me ever sonce. On one show, the speaker was extolling the life of Jesus as the perfect example for all the ways we should live our daily lives. No offense, but what is up with that? A man with no family, no sexual relationships, no children, no job, no responsibilities, living off the kindness of strangers and the largess of his community? Most importantly for me, the Jesus of the New Testament knows/experiences the ultimate nature of God and reality and has no uncertainty whatsoever. That strikes me as being very different from ordinary human experience. Don't get me wrong, as I've discussed elsewhere in these threads I have come to consider myself a Christian in my own way, but this has me baffled. I find the life of Jesus relevant to my spiritual experience, but I'm hard pressed to take his (few) comments on his family and turn them into practical guidance for my own relationship with my parents, brother, and sister. It seems to me that the way this speaker tortured the text to come up with his practical advice, I could take any book of the shelf and do just as well.

The other show was going on about the extraordinary, unparalleled suffering of Jesus on the cross, and how this was just the most amazing and unequaled sacrifice in history. This is something that has bugged me ever since the Mel Gibson movie a few years ago. Again, without intending to offend, but the man hung on a post for a day. I live in a small town of around 10,000 people, but I've been involved in social work long enough to know that there are children being raped every day within a 10 mile radius of my home. There are people living and dying in the agony of meth, heroin, and alcohol addiction. I know people that were beat to death over many hours over drug deals. I've worked with terminal cancer and AIDS patients in inconceivable pain that lasts much longer than a day. What is up with the fascination with the cross? Don't these people have eyes? There is as much suffering in their town every day, often just as brutal, as there was on Calvary. Go worship at the feet of your suffering brother or sister today, and do something useful - help them off that cross! Good grief, they seem like the people that rush to a car crash just to look at the bodies.

Sorry about the rant :-)
The Cove
Associate

Post by The Cove » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Greetings Robert -

I have also spent time with the product of the human despair.

Jesus or What You Shalt Will does not ask you to accept it.

It only asks you to recognize it in time.

There is no excuse for the evil that humanity can perpetuate.

There is no excuse for humanity.

The gods are not human.

We must raise the bar as much as we can.

Do not lose faith - you are not alone.

The evil of the mortal shall be without a balance.

It shall never do so.

(Easy to read isn't it?)

There is no balance in evil, nor in the realm of good.

All these folk posting on this forum shall quote wondrous knowledge that will lead the way out of your troubles.

But I say to you - be the rapist, be the beater of wife and children, be the killer of people. Revel in being it. Being it. Let your mind accept it - the 'evil'.

Let the demons run over your soul -tearing it to pieces- let all the pain of the one who rapes and the one being raped enter you.

Let it all come down into your heart and make peace and be...

Game on.
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:51 am

I think the agony of Jesus on the cross becomes unparalleled when viewed at a metaphoric level. If we take it on a factual level, there is nothing much to it: the Romans were crucifying people every day! It is said that Spartacus and all his followers were hung up on crosses on both sides of the road, after the failed rebellion.

In my opinion, a real life situation has been raised to the level of metaphor in this instance. That is why I mentioned elsewhere that Jesus was never on the cross (historically); I'll add here that Jesus shall always be on the cross as long as humans pursue their spiritual journeys. I'm talking about the inner Jesus here: the one who lives in the psyche: the mythical Jesus, not the historical one. It is here, in the Jungian shadow realm of the collective unconscious, that Jesus lives. It is here that we should try to emulate him: casting off all attachment and pursuing enlightenment.

The cross is inevitable. One has to mount it, die on it, to be resurrected and achieve oneness with the Holy Spirit. That is why the Crucifixion becomes Jesus' passion, and the central theme of Christianity.

Just my take on things...

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu