Silence

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

nandu
Associate

Silence

Post by nandu » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Hello everybody!

Nowadays I find it impossible to post because whatever I say seems to be repetitive and boring.

There are many wonderful posts out here, but the moment I start writing something, somebody inside seems to say, "oh, what's the use?". It may be a passing phase, but I have started to find these conversations meaningless. Also, I am trying to revive my writing career, but I find myself procrastinating endlessly; and I find whatever I write to be fit only for the wastebasket. It's frustration, frustration, frustration; something welling up inside, and trying to break out.

So bear with me while I sulk in one corner...

Have any of you had such phases?

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Good Goddess yes, Nandu!!!

Happens all the time for me - I've come to recognize this as writer's block, which I had always thought of as simply being unable to think of what to write. But I've never really run out of words (clearly not my problem, given my excessive verbosity); instead, that sense of "what's the use?" and the utter frustration that accompanies it sneaks up on me to suck my creative juices dry at the source.

I'd suggest stepping away from the written word for a while: take walks, cook an elaborate meal, make love with wild abandon (preferably with another person present), go to a movie, read something silly, superficial, and fun, etc.

Joseph Campbell speaks of that inner editor, the censor in our head, whose job seems to be to convince us of the utter futility of our words - and, indeed, sometimes my writing comes across to me as little more than mental masturbation - the trick is side-stepping that inner critic

... so sometimes we need a little space, a little time, to reconnect with the sense of bliss that draws us to the empty page, for when we're in our bliss, nothing else matters ...

It does take time, but this too shall pass ...

namaste,
bodhibliss
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi Nandu!

The term has been phased writers block. I have been there, done that, and still find myself slipping into this cave at times. I can't speak for anyone else and how they get up and move forward, but for myself, the frustration begins, as you have stated, "what's the use?"

I find myself getting frustrated with being misunderstood on these forum by those who believe, or don't believe that others have something to say, but do not know how to say it to their comprehension. Or those who do not believe anyone elses ideas have no viable meaning because they do not conform to a standard of collective acceptance.

There is a phase which comes to me from I can'te remember by who, but it says - every person in this world has something to contribute at all times. And every person in this world should refuse to die until they have contributed that something for the benefit of all.

This phase in anyway I look at it tell me that I am the only one responsible to succeed in doing what is right for me. When I become responsible to me, allmy efforts go towards learning how to love myself properly. Should I achieve this monumental task within me, than I've come to realize there is no power in this world greater than my will to do.

Life is a continuous story of shattered dreams. We are continuously working on ourselves to put the pieces of ourselve back together, and we find ourselve continuously in the cave Plato talks about where we are afraid of the shadows we cast. They are only shadows, I've come to know. They are my shadows. But I am the light of my world, and I can, should I become responsible to that which I have to offer, let my light shine and dispel the shadows which appear to be obstacles.

Let the light shine out of me, and all within the path of that light will be nullified by man's will to do what is necessary to do to bring the love within himself to the surface.

jufa (You are never alone!)
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com
Scarlett
Associate

Post by Scarlett » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Nandu,

I've always valued your posts! I do hope you keep writing.

Sometimes our writing blocks are the stop signs that help us pause and reflect on our passing thoughts.

And I think bodhibliss is right when he suggested "stepping away from the written word for a while." (Even if it's only for an hour or two.) And bodhibliss I like your suggestions! I for one love to dance -- dancing for me is a way to get away from it all and really move with the moment!

For me, I've been away from the written word for too long and have enjoyed posting here (even if I'm responding to myself most of the time...I still have a lot of fun pondering ideas!)

Scarlett
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 pm

Where we stumble, that's where our treasure is - Joseph Campbell

Maybe something is trying to get your attention?
:)
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:16 am

Nandu, that happens to me whenever I try to write.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 am

Ever see "The Shining"?

As long as you don't go around chasing people with an ax, I think you're ok.

"all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....."

:lol:

Susan
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:14 am

Yes, I guess I'll stay away from writing and posting for a while. Maybe Robert is right, something is trying to get my attention. Whenever I feel frustrated, I have this image of a cocoon about to burst.

And Susan, your comment had me laughing. But if I grab an axe, I think the next scene will be my wife chasing me with a rolling pin. :wink:

Nandu.
Finegas
Associate

Hang in there

Post by Finegas » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:35 am

Nandu,

I have always enjoyed your posts.

I haven't been around much lately.

Sometimes silence is the answer.

Sometimes the well needs to be refilled.

Forcing it is seldom the answer.

As my jr. high school accounting teacher used to tell us when we were out a penny or two in our accounting "take a break, go for a walk, do anything but try to find that penny!"

Why don't you try painting for a while or photography or building a shed?

Relax and your muse will return.

I wish you well and look forward to your next series of posts whenever that may be....

As the landscapers say "Green side up",
Finegas
sladeb
Associate

Post by sladeb » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:22 pm

Ah yes. Hit that in the last week. Work / thesis blah, blah. In the middle of writing last Sunday afternoon, I just stopped looked at the screen, thought some appropriate blue words about the fact that I seem to spend all my life thinking these days. Got up, made a pot of tea (tea drinkers - have you ever noticed that while coffee is something you drink on the run - a pot of tea seems to be a sign to stop....

I went out and sat on my porch and looked at the mountains.. total loss of motivation...

Ah well another study year draws to a close and I can spend some time back here again...
The one thing I have learned about the quest journey is that as soon as you draw to the close of one quest - another calls and the journey begins once more.
Finegas
Associate

Post by Finegas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:12 am

Nandu, are things better yet?

Just thought I would check in to see if the "well" had been refilled yet for you?

I seem to recall Julia Cameron articulating this condition quite well.

She said something to the effect that when we express ourselves creatively we are drawing from our "well".

Eventually the well dries up and we need to refill it again?

How?

She suggests (and my limited experience would agree) that it is different for everyone.

Refilling is about reconnecting to the source of your inspiration, identity, purpose, etc.

For me that translates to playing with my kids, a good chat with my mom, a quiet afternoon sitting with the garage door open and watching and listening to the rain.

I am not sure what your "well" is. But thinking of you and hoping you have been able to refill it.

Happy New Year,

Fin
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 am

Hello once again, friends.

An amazing thing has happened which has turned my world upside down.

All my life, I've considered myself a writer who has wandered into the field of engineering by mistake. Two weeks ago, there was an important workshop in which my participation was crucial. For four days, I was analysing and explaining the design of a particular gas pipeline for which I was leading the design team. In the end, the work the team had done was appreciated, and I suddenly realised that this was my chosen calling! I am destined to be an engineer who writes part-time as a hobby, but first and foremost, I am an engineer. I was refusing the call all along...

Robert, you were right!
Robert G. wrote:Where we stumble, that's where our treasure is - Joseph Campbell

Maybe something is trying to get your attention?
:)
Cheers
Nandu.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:05 am

Well done, Nandu! "Always be ready to let go of your assumptions," is my motto!

I wouldn't be surprised that, as a result of this, something significant happens with your writing, now that you've taken the pressure off.

Life can be ironic like that, no?
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:04 pm

Nandu, I'm happy to hear about your latest experience! I regret that so many assume, to follow one's bliss necessarily means to become a writer, poet, painter. Why not engineer, advocat, hospital nurse? Too many people seem to believe that to be creative, you have to be an artist. And too many believe they are artists while they are just doodling. The crisis you described proves that you have a sincerity and ability of self-criticism, most "writers" are lacking. I second Clemsy and Finegas, assigning your priorities properly may help you to find your inexhaustible well, and the joy and quality of writing may improve.
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Clemsy and Martin,

Ever since I started school, I had pegged my future profession as "Engineer". However, after passing out with 84% aggregate marks from Engineering College (and the first rank in the university), I got a job in a government company in my hometown and settled down. I stayed there for more than 18 years! I started writing as a hobby, then as my dead-end job stifled me, I began find it to be a welcome outlet for my frustration. I deluded myself that my lack of success at writing "The Great Indian Novel" was the source of my frustration. Now I see that I was refusing the call all along!

I'll continue writing, for my own enjoyment. But it took me three years here in the forum to realise my true calling.

I may not contribute much in the future, even though I will keep on following the conversations. I'm off on my adventure...

Thank you, all my friends. My sojourn here in the forum was a part of my journey. I genuinely believe that these conversations and the past four tumultuous years (I left my old job in mid 2004) were of great importance in my life.

Love to all
Nandu.