Silence

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

A J
Associate

Post by A J » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:13 am

Nandu,

I've been where you are several times. I don't participate on message boards as often as I used to, but I still stop by, and occasionally feel the urge to respond. Hope we hear from you off and on. Your posts are always appreciated.

AJ
"Sacred space and sacred time and something joyous to do is all we need. Almost anything then becomes a continuous and increasing joy."

A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:57 am

Nandu,

I was a lawyer who wanted to enter politics on my own terms, who wanted to write and to make artwork. I left law to find a way to seek my dreams (delusions), and I backed into giving care., which turns out to be the Number One Core Value that underlies my interest in politics.

My love of writing is covered on the internet, and mostly here at JCF. My interest in art is on the backburner.

I envy your latest discovery that your bliss is in the field of engineering. I wish I could embrace the work I am performing. I do it with almost robotlike dependability, though precision is not my forte.

I care, even when I say I don't. I'm good at what I do, even when I'm not perfect or pleasing.

I feel completely frustrated on so many levels.

You're way ahead of me, Nandu. I can't even imagine accurately identifying anything vaguely resembling "bliss"......except via the imagination, where I've always been deleriously happy beyond all expectations. All I have to do to experience bliss is exit the world of the here and now, where the ice caps are melting and people are getting too poor and too rich, where a few are prepared to blow themselves up to promote a supposedly all-powerful god, and where race, class and gender determine one's opportunity to shine.

I love mythical metaphor and art, but it does not pay the bills or provide a roof over my head. I love people who live in the world of commerce, protected by guns and bombs, where people own homes and marry and have houses full of children, but I will never be one of them.

If it's not big enough and doesn't last long, I'm just not interested.

~
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:10 am

Carmela & AJ,

AJ, I will definitely be posting once in a while. You are one of the persons I enjoy talking to, mostly because of a shared love of literature and a flexible stance on religion.

Carmela, I did not find bliss in my chosen profession... the profession had chosen me long back! I was stubbornly refusing the call, because of the fear of failure. Maybe all birds feel it, when they first spread their wings and take off...

I have now accepted my calling, and am at peace because of it. The work schedule is still killing, but I am enjoying every moment of it! When I do my work, I concentrate only on that, and the joy is making it as perfect as possible. Maybe this is "Karma Yoga" as Krishna meant it.

Like I said once, we are all at the destination. I believe that the journey is just to recognise it.

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
sladeb
Associate

Post by sladeb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:09 pm

nandu,

Creativity exists in all fields. I certainly not an artists - my writing leans towards the technical rather than the creative and I am an engineer. I found my bliss in IT design at the conjunct between engineering and human factors / human centred design. At the point where these fields intersect. there is this newly developing body of work which considers the central roles of humans, sustainability and design. In the intersect, you will find all the fascination of creation (which as you have expressed is one of the great joys of engineering - to hatch a design and watch it grow to completion) coupled with understandning how systems design can be impacted by the experience of being human. All of the material that we see discussed here on JCF suddenly appears in my field in understanding how belief systems, world views etc all impact on the ways that people turn information into knowledge. (my field of engineering is sytems design for information management - particualarly in large scale disasters like the tsunami and the earthquake which occurred in your part of the world a few years ago). At the intersect, creativity becomes a way of operating - and for me - it is my bliss. Artists musicians etc all express the creative part of the human spirit - I take what they reveal about human nature and use it to design better environments for people to operate in. I have now reached a point where I have established a company and business in really starting to move for me - I have called the company ecothought.

So, the gist of all this - be an engineer - and understand how all of this stuff we talk about here on JCF can impact your engineering work.
The one thing I have learned about the quest journey is that as soon as you draw to the close of one quest - another calls and the journey begins once more.
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Nandu, there is not much to say which hasn't been said concerning your finding what is was to fulfill your life. I just want to say I am so very happy for you and to give you this"

"What I’m saying to you this morning, my friends, even if it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go on out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures; sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music; sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry; sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, "Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well."

If you can’t be a pine on the top of a hill

Be a scrub in the valley—but be

The best little scrub on the side of the hill,

Be a bush if you can’t be a tree.

If you can’t be a highway just be a trail

If you can’t be the sun be a star;

It isn’t by size that you win or fail—

Be the best of whatever you are.

And when you do this, when you do this, you’ve mastered the length of life. - M.L.King,Jr.
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com
boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi nandu,

Hey, maybe we'll work on a project together one day. It's what I do you know, boring under things, mostly for pipelines of one sort or another.

Also when you have time to write, maybe there is a story in your story, I know I'm wanting to cheer.
Like I said once, we are all at the destination. I believe the journey is just to recognise it.
Makes me think again as I have several times since you shared the story; that indeed, we are all the butcher of sorts. :)

So best wishes ahead and don't be to much of a stranger, as you obviously have friends here and your perspective is always an asset.

bg
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:33 am

Hello everybody,

We just completed a project at a very good profit, and moreover, the client appreciated the fact that we had done a great job. The project manager told me that he was going to recommend bonuses for all who were involved. I told him: "It doesn't matter."

And it really didn't... the satisfaction of a job done to the best of my ability was enough for me. The results, or reward, did not matter in the least.

Now I know what Krishna meant when discoursed the law of Karma to Arjuna: and how it ties in with following one's bliss.

Cheers
Nandu.
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 am

I am about to take leave of the forums once again... once in a while these periods of silence are required, I find now.

I'll be here, listening to all of you.

Au Revoir

Nandu.
Mark O.
Working Associate

Post by Mark O. » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm

We'll keep the light on for you, Nandu... Enjoy your silence.

Mark
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:27 am

I dusted up this conversation just to let my friends know that I've started writing again, and enjoying it. Anyway, I don't have to get it published :wink:

I think one can find one's bliss on many levels-sometimes I wonder whether I am a writer as well as an engineer.

Only time will tell.

nandu.