Critique on Proportion

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

The Cove
Associate

Critique on Proportion

Post by The Cove » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:42 pm

Greetings -

Another post out of nowhere.

I have marked that this is a very scholarly forum. Part of the reason I found it difficult to post. There is a place and a purpose for that context of human interaction and surely this is one of them.

My rumination deals with the concept of the brief post. A small thing with a greater point. When one takes the time to ingest and respond to a post that is as long as a short chapter in a book - one is strong believer in what one is reading and responding to.

Indeed. Is that true? Is the idea better in definition by varied depth of illustration? Hmm....

Troubled I am by this. Because I wish to interact but - I have not the written constitution to do so - nor do I want to have it.

I now spend most of my posting time on the Occult Forum - the level of bullshit is much higher - but the dynamic of exchange is excellent.

So my critique is this - no need to test your thesis - or edit your chapter - or dreadfully and fully illustrate your point till the point is an excuse for the use of many, many wonderful words.

This is or should be a forum of thought in action.

My critique is most open to critique by it's nature. It is full of errors. But the point remains weak or strong as it is.

Luck.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Cove,

Great post. A few things from my point of view (as if I would have another's!).

First off, I prefer to keep my own posts to an economical length for two reasons. One, I enjoy trying to pack as much as I can into as few words as possible. Two, I don't want to subject others to overly long posts. Sometimes my posts are quite long... especially when I'm in rant mode, but usually I keep them down to a length that I would personally read. (Not much longer than the length of the screen.)

Epic length posts I tend to skim, unless my moderator radar is pinging. I haven't the time and/or the attention span to make my participation an academic study for which I am not getting inservice college credit. (Especially huge block paragraph posts. Makes me shudder.)

I'm of the mind that it's important to make your point and allow others to respond. Too many points and your sifting some associates out of those reading your post.

Neither right nor wrong the case may be... but I would suggest tailoring your participation to your own needs, respond where and when you will at the length comfortable for you.

Yes, this forum enjoys a high degree of scholarship and does so by nature of the theme. However, I dislike the idea that some may be hesitant to post here because the 'waters are too deep and swift.'

Sometimes the newbie with the fresh questions is what this place needs the most... at whatever level.

Indeed, I've been here for 5 1/2 years and the practice I've had at wordsmithing has improved my skill as a writer quite a bit. I have to be careful writing in other contexts! (Comes in handy with my administrators at school, though. Engaging Clemsy in a memo war could be risky.)

I would like to see your thoughts shared here at whatever length.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:17 pm

Ironic - I just posted five hundred words in another thread, and felt bad for just skimming the surface ...

:wink:

The only rule of length I find worth following is whatever it takes to cover the subject - whether five words, or five thousand.

Fortunately there's no rule that says anyone has to read every word of any post, so I'm not worried that those who aren't interested will be forced to wade through the outpourings of my creative psyche, nor that I need devour every word everyone else writes. As a moderator I do glance at most posts, but like Clemsy I find there are a number that I'll just skim, as the content doesn't leap out and grab me.

Other posts do call to me, and I regret only having the time to dip my toe in the water.

Like our Conversations of a Higher Order, the Joseph Campbell Mythology Group on Yahoo has no limits on length - but the JCMG was originally a Yahoo Club, and Yahoo Clubs had posting limits of roughly 500 words - which meant it often took me at least three separate posts (Parts I, II, & III) to complete a thought.

Fortunately, these are conversations of a higher, rather than briefer, order. There's not a lot of back and forth mindless chatter or superficial banter here; what we do have is the space and luxury to develop deep and profound thoughts.

Of course, not every deep and profound thought is succinct as a Zen koan.

The chance to stretch my metaphysical wings and take flight is what draws me to both the JCF and the JCMG.

I don't expect every associate to read every word of my posts. Sometimes my longwinded ramblings amount to little more than intellectual masturbation and are ignored - but then, some of the posts that have generated the greatest feedback have been my 4,000-plus word monsters that spill forth when the spirit strikes.

However, brevity is also evident on these message boards - Cove's comments, for example, are almost always brief yet poignant, using but a few words as keys that unlock myriad doors in the imagination. That mode of expression works well for The Cove, but less so for me (though now and again I can be pithy and to the point).

Fortunately, there are no forum guidelines that cover this area, so no moderator will come along to tell us that we have exceeded or fallen shy of mandatory minumums and maximums.

On the other hand, as the Cove points out, those of us who are more longwinded might not actually be communicating.

That becomes evident fairly quickly - if I'm not getting my point across, I'll soon have no one to play with and will be mostly talking to myself. That sometimes happens, and I find myself then regrouping and taking stock, looking for a better way to articulate what is important enough to me to devote hours and energy communicating

... but then sometimes individuals do need a public forum to work out their thesis, and I'm pleased they feel free to do so here.

We aim to provide a space where individuals feel free and safe to express themselves, and for the most part I believe we do fairly well. Certainly our Conversations of a Higher Order aren't as dynamic as they have been in the past (on July 1, for example, we had 145 individuals in these forums at once - so many that the system kept crashing); however, since the webhost switch, we have thousands less receiving the weekly UpDate, so thousands less are regularly prompted to visit these forums. As those numbers are gradually restored, we'll notice the same zip and frequency as in the past (ironically, many of the contributions to those dynamic exchanges were dense with ideas and information to the point of excessive verbosity - and yet conversations didn't necessarily suffer).

So the rule of tumb I suggest is, "To each his own."

(No gender bias intended - but "To each his or her own" seems lacking in rhythm.)

:lol:

namaste,
bodhibliss
Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:19 am

:lol: Aww, dear Bodhi, while I am around you are never talking to your self only! Just wish I could write like you do!!!!!

Evinnra :)
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com
Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:54 am

Oh, please, please, please keep your messages long Bodhi, your short and snappy response on the 'Drums of War' thread (1-11-2007) made me cry . :lol: :lol: :lol:
As I am writing this message, tears pouring down my face ...
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com