Myth and Music

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

TRWolfe
Associate

Myth and Music

Post by TRWolfe » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:48 am

What music gets your juices flowing? Music, that to you, transcends the earthly realm and is probably, possibly, partially created by the divine? :lol:

For me, this music is Shpongle. Any body else listen to these guys?

Here's the track: Divine Moments of Truth

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g-8mG5uCU2g
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:13 pm

MineOwn2012, after a few moments of that piece, I had to ask myself whether I had gotten high today. :lol:

Really cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Applying the "What comes to your mind first" formula to your question supplies the following answer:

Pink Floyd, Echoes
"Echoes"

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine
And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the where's or why's
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can
And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks
And no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning
And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2hFZ8KnsSo

That's just part 1. If you find it as tasty as I do, go for part 2. The video is of the rather dated variety. Just close your eyes and let go.... Unfortunately the sounc capture isn't very good. The DVD of the concert is awesome, as is the studio cut of Echoes on the album Meddle.

Legend has it that this was composed to also synch with the last 23 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Fun fact: Roger Waters (bass) is quite certain the Andrew LLoyd Webber ripped off a riff of this piece for Phantom of the Opera. If you're familiar with both, the similarity does stand out rather starkly.

Clemsy, probably dating himself
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:36 pm

It’s very funny HUMILITY requires getting very low, being the least in the kingdom.

Remember in the 1960’s when love, music, sex, and drugs burst on to the scene with Timothy Leary. I was very leary because it seemed love was loosing while music, sex and drugs were winning.

Now prejudice has been replaced with jealousy. It's also very funny that if the world were truly fair even those who are currently jealous would get a significant reduction in living standard.

Are you satisfied Mick?
cfheery
Associate

Post by cfheery » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm

What a great topic, MineOwn2012!

There are several musicians whose music does it for me, but if I had to choose the one who really seems to have broken through it would be Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer.

The Texas-born son of a mathematician father and an evangelist Christian mother, Dave Carter, who died suddenly in 2002, was a classically trained turned country musician with a degree in mathematics, a penchant for transpersonal psychology and Eastern philosophy whose songs mostly got their start as dreams.

Tracy Grammer, who continues to tour, keeping Dave’s songs alive, plays a violin/fiddle that does me in every time, has a lovely voice and plays a mean guitar and mandolin.

Together they created what they called “Postmodern Mythic American Music”

But enough talk. Go listen to:

a song about dying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imf2GYV0xNo
( the song itself starts at about 2:45)

a song about grace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILgEavonpQU
(and listen for Dave's descant sung in Sumerian)

a song in the well known genre of Eco-Spirituality Country Music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAGMATHlSK4

He was a poet of the highest caliber. I lament never having seen him play live...

For more: http://www.daveandtracy.com
or: http://www.tracygrammer.com
TRWolfe
Associate

Post by TRWolfe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:55 am

Clemsy wrote:MineOwn2012, after a few moments of that piece, I had to ask myself whether I had gotten high today. :lol:

Really cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Applying the "What comes to your mind first" formula to your question supplies the following answer:

Pink Floyd, Echoes
"Echoes"

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine
And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the where's or why's
But something stirs and something tries
And starts to climb towards the light

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the land
And help me understand the best I can
And no one calls us to move on
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks
And no one tries
And no one flies around the sun

Cloudless every day you fall
Upon my waking eyes
Inviting and inciting me to rise
And through the window in the wall
Comes streaming in on sunlight wings
A million bright ambassadors of morning
And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J2hFZ8KnsSo

That's just part 1. If you find it as tasty as I do, go for part 2. The video is of the rather dated variety. Just close your eyes and let go.... Unfortunately the sounc capture isn't very good. The DVD of the concert is awesome, as is the studio cut of Echoes on the album Meddle.

Legend has it that this was composed to also synch with the last 23 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey

Fun fact: Roger Waters (bass) is quite certain the Andrew LLoyd Webber ripped off a riff of this piece for Phantom of the Opera. If you're familiar with both, the similarity does stand out rather starkly.

Clemsy, probably dating himself
God, I love Echoes. Especially when the singing comes back in after 20minutes of ambient passages. Talk about "bliss". Hahaha!

Here's another group of musicians that I'm obsessed with, playing live, known as Shulman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtyGy2tc3cg

and here with live guitar!!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld1JGAUl ... re=related
Taliesyn
Associate

Post by Taliesyn » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:11 pm

One of the best pieces of music I have ever heard that I never ever get fed up of is Steve Vai's "For the Love of God". I dare you to listen to it and not be moved or fail to believe that he has been touched by the hand of God when he composed it.

Let me know what you think.

Sandra :P
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:22 pm

cfheery, MineOwn2012 and Taliesyn,

Thanks for those links. I enjoyed tasting all of them.

Here's the YouTube address for Steve Vai's "For the Love of God:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk

Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Taliesyn
Associate

For the Love of God - Steve Vai

Post by Taliesyn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks for the info on You Tube. I have seen it and also have Steve's DVDs which are awesome!

Sandra (UK)
TRWolfe
Associate

Post by TRWolfe » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:50 pm

I finally got to see one of my favorite acts, Secret Chiefs 3, last week. It was amazing. Still reeling from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnsW04tDb1c

:lol:
bill von Franz
Associate

Post by bill von Franz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:03 am

MineOwn2012, the band that “does it” for me is Tool. Like Shpongle they use the artwork of Alex Grey in some of their videos. There’s a documentary of an Alex Grey art exhibit at the Netflix website called The Chapel of Sacred Mirrors that is definitely worth checking out. Tool has a video on Youtube of their song Parabola http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4 which “gets my juices flowing” like few others. The video, the lyrics, the music; they’re all combined to create an opera of redemption and triumph.
If you’ve never seen a Tool video, beware! The images can be disturbing. The videos were created by Tool’s guitar player, Adam Jones. Before he joined Tool, Jones was an artist working in the movie industry. He helped bring the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park to life. The videos are a tour de force of technical and artistic wizardry that can be rather dark. In grotesque images of twisted and nightmarish figures they portray life suffering “under the terrible mutilations of ubiquitous disaster, battered by time, hideous throughout space… horror visible… cries of anguish still tumultuous… dreadful mutilations” that Campbell refers to in Hero with a Thousand Faces,

“This deed accomplished, life no longer suffers hopelessly under the terrible mutilations of ubiquitous disaster, battered by time, hideous throughout space; but with its horror visible still, its cries of anguish still tumultuous, it becomes penetrated by an all-suffusing, all-sustaining love, and a knowledge of its own unconquered power. Something of the light that blazes invisible within the abysses of its normally opaque materiality breaks forth, with an increasing uproar. The dreadful mutilations are then seen as shadow, only, of an immanent, imperishable eternity; time yields to glory; and the world sings with the prodigious, angelic, but perhaps finally monotonous, siren music of the spheres”(p. 29).

The above is in reference to the successful hero’s journey. The Parabola video portrays the conclusion of such a journey in an Eastern context where the animated Alex Grey figure realizes the opening of his third eye at the end. The layers and lines of power that surround Grey’s translucent figures reminds us of Campbell’s passage again where he talks about "an all-suffusing, all-sustaining love" and “Something of the light that blazes invisible within the abysses of its normally opaque materiality breaks forth… an immanent, imperishable eternity; time yields to glory.”

In Parabola, Jones’ guitar is, simply put: power. To stand at the base of Niagara Falls, feeling as well as hearing the titanic collision of rock and water is what you get in Parabola. Jones’ wall of sound is the intimate “knowledge of… unconquered power” that “breaks forth, with an increasing uproar” that Campbell mentions in the above passage. The roar of the music feels like the crushing power of the rising Sun described in Faust where Ariel warns, “Listen. Listen to the tempest of the hours. The new day is being born, the spirit’s ears can hear it. Rock-portals grind and rumble. Phoebus’s wheels are rattling along. What noise comes with the coming of the light. A drumming, a trumpeting. Dazzling the eyes and staggering the ears with more than they can hear!”-Faust Part II, Act I; trans. Barker Fairley.

At the same time, the eerie, echoing distance of the sound of the guitar in the intro and the lead guitar breaks gives us a feel for,

“The silence of the night and the unconscious, the dark realm of feelings, finds a voice of its own in the magic flute[or, in our case, Jones’ guitar], the symbol of music. Those beloved of the Feminine, the Queen of the Night, are the poets and singers, the musicians of the heart, who not only bring the silence of the feminine darkness to the light of rational recognition and illumination but also let it resound and make music”(The Fear of the Feminine, Erich Neumann, p. 164).

It is this heiros gamos, or divine marriage of the light and dark that opens the third eye and allows the hero to perceive that “the world sings with the prodigious, angelic, but perhaps finally monotonous, siren music of the spheres”(Why does Campbell use the word “monotonous” as a descriptor of the “siren music of the spheres”?).

The lyricist for Tool is Maynard Keenan. I can’t say for certain that he is familiar with the works of Jung or Campbell(though I think he must) but he could certainly sympathize nonetheless. In Parabola he sings,

In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be
Here in
This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am
Not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

And

This body holding me reminds me of my own morality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, we are eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

This is Samadhi! Especially the line “we are eternal/ All this pain is an illusion”.

To use Jungian terminology, this is a realization, at least in part, of the Self: “There are … a number of… associated themes and images that refer to the Self. Such themes as wholeness, totality, the union of opposites, the central generative point, the world navel, the axis of the universe, the creative point where God and man meet, the point where transpersonal energies flow into personal life, eternity[“Embrace this moment. Remember we are eternal”] as opposed to the temporal flux[“this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality”], incorruptibility, the inorganic united paradoxically with the organic[“this body holding me”], protective structures capable of bringing order out of chaos, the transformation of energy, the elixir of life-all refer to the Self, the central source of life energy, the fountain of our being which is most simply described as God”(Ego and Archetype, Edward Edinger, p. 4) This paragraph of Edinger’s seems to me to describe the Alex Grey image at the end of the video.

A reason that I think Keenan must be familiar with Jung and Campbell, among others, is the following lyrics from Tool’s song Parabola,

Twirling round with this familiar parable,
Spinning, weaving round each new experience,
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be
Alive and breathing.

Then if you go to the “About Parabola” part of the website of the heavily Jung/Campbell influenced “Parabola” magazine http://parabola.org/content/view/13/37/ you’ll find the following explanation,

What is a Parabola?

A parabola is one of the most elegant forms in nature. Every path made by a thrown ball, every spout of water from a fountain, and every graceful arch of steel cables in a suspension bridge is a parabola.

The parabola represents the epitome of a quest. As stated in our first issue, it is “a curving line that sails outward and returns with a new expansion[“Spinning, weaving round each new experience”]—and perhaps a new content, like the flung net of a Japanese fisherman.” It is the metaphorical journey to a particular point, and then back home, along a similar path perhaps[“Twirling round with this familiar parable”], but in a different direction, after which the traveler is essentially, irrevocably changed[“Recognize this as a holy gift”].

Listen to the guitar at the part of the song where Keenan sings “Twirling round … etc.” You’ll hear parabolas in motion being created. Jones slides up then down the guitar neck creating audible “curving lines that sail outward and return… along similar paths perhaps, but in different directions”(paraphrased). So maybe the title for the song is inspired by the magazine; probably a stretch; but you never know.

Sorry about the lengthy quotes; they’re my attempt to transmit a “feel” for what I’m trying to get across-but the mode of feeling is the only proper one for the appreciation and discussion of music.
Muxter
Associate

Post by Muxter » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Ah yes, "The weirder the better, the stranger the best." Funny, the haunting opening underlying theme on the track sounds like 'Yentel" track #11 off The Butthole Surfers album "Weird Revolution" which came out in 2001. Neither the Surfers or Shpongle mention each other as far as I can tell. If you like trance mixed with some good ol' Rock and Roll, check the Surfers out.

Musically speaking, beside the melodies and voices I hear in running water when in the wilderness, Wagner does it for me. Did Mr Campbell ever witness any of Wagner's operas? The U.S actually gets 3 (Three!) Rings in the next year plus a Das Reingold and Die Walkure (with Placido Domingo!) in L.A. early next year. If you have not seen Placido as Sigmund, check it out. Tragic theatre at its best plus a voice that may make you cry.
Cheers, MUXTER
No Doo Doo is too sticky to get out of.
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Re: Myth and Music

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:19 pm

MineOwn2012 wrote:What music gets your juices flowing? Music, that to you, transcends the earthly realm and is probably, possibly, partially created by the divine? :lol:

For me, this music is Shpongle. Any body else listen to these guys?

Here's the track: Divine Moments of Truth

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g-8mG5uCU2g
Just about anything composed by Mozart. It is the purest metaphysical language I have ever heard.
TRWolfe
Associate

Post by TRWolfe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:53 am

I'm a huge Tool fan as well. Had plenty of good nights intoxicated with Tool's Lateralus album blaring. I think it's by far their best work and has some of the most profound lyrics I've ever heard. Especially on the title track "Lateralus":
I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...
I get goosebumps just reading it. I think MJK has definitely seen some stuff beyond the veil. As have I, because I know exactly what he's talking about. :)
bill von Franz
Associate

Post by bill von Franz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm

I couldn't agree more. "Brother Maynard"- poet, prophet, saint!
joyful
Associate

Post by joyful » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm

One of the fan sites for Radiohead [atease]recently had a thread on their message board linking lyrics from the band to Hero With A Thousand Faces which was most interesting and being a fan of both made considerable sense especially in terms of artists helping to make the seemingly invisible made visible.I will try to find it and provide some detail but the band has many layers worth exploring and discussing in this most interesting thread.All the best,Joyful
Joyful participation in the sorrows of the world