Worthy Quotes in Interesting Times

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Worthy Quotes in Interesting Times

Post by Clemsy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 am

Found something precious which exemplifies this mad world we live in? Come up with something of your own? Put it here!
I’ve always believed that America’s government was a unique political system — one designed by geniuses so that it could be run by idiots. I was wrong. No system can be smart enough to survive this level of incompetence and recklessness by the people charged to run it.

...The story cannot end here. If it does, assume the fetal position. ~Thomas Friedman
Once again, America struggles to find the ripcord after the sudden stop. ~Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 am

Great Clemsy,

I think we should amend the Constitution to reflect reality. I would like to change the word PRESS to PATSY.
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:45 am

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.
George Bernard Shaw
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:48 am

I wonder...Do anybody deserve Sarah Palin!?!
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Miracles plus LIES equals MIRACULOUS CHAOS.
Ned Kelly
Associate

Post by Ned Kelly » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:33 am

1. "My fellow God..."

...spoken by "RIchard Nixon" in the 1973 LP by Burns and Schreiber, "The Watergate Comedy Hour".

http://www.tias.com/stores/bothellj/pic ... tehr2a.jpg

2. Prime Minister of Britain, 1781, after hearing news of America's victory in the War of Independence: "We are ruined!"

Adam Smith replied to him: "There is a lot of ruin in a nation."

3. John Adams, American ambassador to Britain after the War of Independence, circa 1782, in a letter:

"The pride and vanity of that nation (Britain) is a disease; it is a delerium." Cf, America today.

4. Henry Kissinger to Chinese Premiere Zhou En Lai, circa 1972: "What do you Chinese think about the French Revolution?"

Zhou En Lai: "It's too early to tell."

5. "Ozymandias", by Shelley (c 1820):
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
6. Old man born in the Russian city of St Petersburg in 1900, interviewed c. 1988:

Q: Where were you born?

A. St Petersburg.

Q. Where did you grow up?

A. Petrograd.

Q. Where do you live now?

A. Leningrad.

Q. Where do you expect to die?

A. St Petersburg.

7.. "Continuity is as strong as change." - American historian Barbara Tuchman, 1978.

8. Abraham Lincoln, 1865:
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:39 pm

nandu,

Do we deserve Sarah Palin? Oh YES!
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 pm

Speak for yourself, dude. We may deserve what we allow, but we haven't allowed her yet.
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:42 pm

Clemsy,

She's the Home Coming Queen and it's football season. Animal instincts prevail in the Wild West.

I could be wrong. I have been wrong before, and I surely hope I am wrong about our future, but alas history is a very good teacher.
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Excuse me, I mean Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild,Wild West!
SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:37 am

Sarah Palin reminded me a lot of George Bush, only better spoken.

I think she probably has more heart, too.

So conservative Republicans are improving, even if only slightly...but then she came out today with her 'Obama is a friend of terrorists.' LOL Doesn't she know that Sam Adams was a terrorist?

It is as if her view of the world was fully formed at age seven, and never progressed.

After my recent experience in politics, there is one thing I can say with complete certainty: Many of the people who participate the most have a very low emotional level. They are very much like children, and the voters are not much better.

Plato believed in a ruling elite, but a wise man cannot govern fools any better than fools can govern the wise. The challenge has always been the same: Only a wise people can create a wise society.

The funny thing is, I don't think that wise people leave much of a paper trail. What we study in history are the grand failures, not the successes. (The Greeks, Romans, etc.) They clutter the world with pyramids, pricelists, laws, roads, etc. There is a lot of ground to cover studying them, whereas the wise slip in and out unnoticed.
You can only see the height of a mountain from its valley.

The radical myth towards which the helix aspires is beyond the desire for money or power, yet which has greater returns than all the power and money in the world could not achieve.
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:49 am

Steve,

The truely wise will not be able to nomad away from this one.
Joemac
Associate

Post by Joemac » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:54 am

Isn't what Sarah said slander because they were not convicted? Would that include the Fox Network?

Oh boy this is it, World War III ! Armageddon!!!!!!!!!! Finally, I was running out of Patience.

I thought Obama and Biden were going to dragon for eight more years.

Remember you are not suppose to kill anyone even your enemies.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:16 am

Out of this modern civilization economic royalists carved new dynasties. New kingdoms were built upon concentration of control over material things. Through new uses of corporations, banks and securities, new machinery of industry and agriculture, of labor and capital - all undreamed of by the Fathers - the whole structure of modern life was impressed into this royal service. It was natural and perhaps human, that the privileged princes of these new economic dynasties, thirsting for power, reached out for control over government itself. As a result, the average man once more confronts the problem that faced the Minute Man. These economic royalists complain that we seek to overthrow the institutions of America. What they really complain of is that we seek to take away their power. Our allegiance to American institutions requires the overthrow of this kind of power. In vain they seek to hide behind the flag and the Constitution. In their blindness they forget what the flag and the Constitution stand for. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Ned Kelly
Associate

Post by Ned Kelly » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:43 am

"And in the Happy Kingdom there were no grumblers or malcontents, because Wise King Otto had had them all put to death years ago, under the 'Happiness Act'".

- Monty Python's "A Fairy Tale", from "Monty Python's Previous Record", c. 1972