The Art of Discourse II

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Great idea Cindy;

I had forgotten about this thread. There is alot of great stuff here. I need reminding now and again. It also lets me know what special company I'm keeping when the weather gets a litttle cold outside.

Thanks for dusting this off. 8) :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am

Yeap, this is a nice one, thanks.
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki
Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Clemsy wrote:[In the years] I've been here, posting patterns have remained the same. Indeed, there's research to back up that what happens here isn't much different to the participation patterns in other forums. Participation ebbs and flows. (Weekends and summers tend to seem less busy which may be a concern to bosses worldwide!) There's a core group of veterans, and those who come and go. The overall number varies but not by very much...
This came to mind when I reread this thread and Clemsy's post...

There's more daily activity on this board than one might think, and that's mainly because just moderators have access to nifty info. displaying the entire forum in real time. (The "Who Is Online" data box at the bottom of the index page gives a taste of what I'm talking about.) Not a minute goes by that someone in the world isn't reading here, literally. Just before I came to post, I saw that there were folks checking out the index, reading in the Mythology and Religion forum, the Thousand Faces forum, the Dutch forum, that Andreas had signed on within the past couple minutes and no doubt was reading, too. (Then there are those days when our trickster gremlins decide that everyone is fascinated by the index page...) But mainly what I want to draw your attention to is another core group of associates who is always with us, and that's those who routinely come here to read rather than to post. I tend to follow them via "Who Is Online," not because as moderator I must but because I can, and I'm always glad to see them here again. The typical "associate reader" pattern is one of regular visits to the board for some extended period of time then moving on; it's not unusual to see them pop back in later every now and then, too, for a look. So it's not all just about us. :P And how we posters choose to have discourse among ourselves is equally significant to our silent partners.

As I said, not a minute goes by that someone in the world isn't reading here. 8)

Salut!

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:26 am

Salut!
What a military note :lol:
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:38 am

Haha, we got to out watch out for the moderators, too much power in their hands. :D
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki
Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:42 am

Nermin wrote:
Salut!
What a military note :lol:
Think French equivalent of the casual Italian "Ciao!" (Can mean either "hello" or "good-bye.")

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Andreas wrote:Haha, we got to out watch out for the moderators, too much power in their hands. :D
ha ha ha :D
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:14 am

Cindy B. wrote:
As I said, not a minute goes by that someone in the world isn't reading here. 8)

Salut!

Cindy
I'm curious. How many associates have never posted? How many regular readers are there? What sorts of professions and organizations are most interested in reading the Conversations? Which countries and regions are represented by the core writers?

I honestly do not expect you (or anyone else) to go out of the way to answer my questions. If you have access to such data and you're willing to share, however, I would be humbly and forever in your debt.

Either way, thanks and thanks.

Carmela
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Jcf.org's three-month global traffic rank is 769. The site belongs to the “Transpersonal” category of websites. The site is based in the US. About 70% of visitors to Jcf.org come from the US, where it has attained a traffic rank of 185. Compared with internet averages, the site's audience tends to be between the ages of 45 and 65; it also appeals more to high-income, childless, highly educated women browsing from home.
:lol:
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Thank you, Nermin.

OMG!

:shock:
romansh
Associate

Post by romansh » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:43 pm

CarmelaBear wrote: I'm curious. How many associates have never posted? How many regular readers are there? What sorts of professions and organizations are most interested in reading the Conversations? Which countries and regions are represented by the core writers?
I must admit I am also curious from a technical point of view.

One of the the things that I think hurts this forum is that I have to log in to view the posts. As a potential new member way back when this was off putting.

I am also curious as how spambots are handled?

Just looking through the members list, I saw a few that I thought were obviously bots?

edit
Just did a quick review - of the last 500 "associates" to join, six have posted for a total of about 25 posts.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Don't be curious, my folks :D
Unlike most social media, here's a place for quality rather than quantity.
That's probably forum #1 on popular mythology. I feel this from the feedback
I receive when I'm posting links to JCF :wink:
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:41 pm

It is amazing how articulate, thoughtful and polite our posts tend to be. Some of the most prestigious sites include stupid and mean posts that just send me running and screaming away.

~

I have a toolbar that includes my favorite icons, including my "custom" ones. When I click on the JCF icon, which features the familiar circle trademark, I can enter the forum directly, without having to log in every time.

~
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Rom, you have to enter your username and password every time?

Also, There is a filter for the spambots, but it doesn't get them all. However, they can't post to the boards.

Also squared... The last time I took data for a board report, we were averaging about 200 new associates per month. Historically, the number of new associates who become regular posters is very small. However, and as Cindy has observed, many do browse the site.

I wonder if we'll see a surge of new activity when we move to the new platform.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Hello all,
I cannot say that it was easy to start posting at the start.
It really takes time to synchronize one's thoughts with other associates;
one has to get familiar with topics that often go far beyond our
usual talk about everything and also takes some courage :D