General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri May 31, 2013 7:40 am

Hey everyone.

I just caught this interview on Charlie Rose about: ( why the inside of Washington politics is so dysfunctional ) by ( Politico's ) Journalist's: " Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei ". It is one of the more informative things that I have seen in quite awhile, and I was truly startled by not only how much the political climate has changed concerning the gridlock; but also why. It confirmed some thoughts I have long suspected concerning agendas and gamesmanship; but it also helped me to understand some of the reasons which are relatively new that I did not know which is driving this insanity.

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12947
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 am

Here is an interesting article about a brand new technology that caught my eye concerning the future of manufacturing. It sounds like it could be a real game-changer on many levels with the economy. :o

http://news.yahoo.com/3-d-printing-goes ... 23371.html

Here is part of the article about 3-D printers:

Once a science-fiction fantasy, three-dimensional printers are popping up everywhere from the desks of home hobbyists to Air Force drone research centers. The machines, generally the size of a microwave oven and costing $400 to more than $500,000, extrude layer upon layer of plastics or other materials, including metal, to create 3-D objects with moving parts.

Users are able to make just about anything they like: iPad stands, guitars, jewelry, even guns. But experts warn this cool innovation could soon turn controversial — because of safety concerns but also the potential for the technology to alter economies that rely on manufacturing.

"We believe that 3-D printing is fundamentally changing the manufacturing ecosystem in its entirety — how and where products are made and by whom," said Peter Weijmarshausen, CEO of New York-based Shapeways, an online company that makes and sells 3-D printed products designed by individuals. Products include a delicate, twig-like egg cup (cost: $8.10) and a lamp that looks like a nuclear mushroom cloud (cost: $1,388.66).

"We're on the verge of the next industrial revolution, no doubt about it," added Dartmouth College business professor Richard D'Aveni. "In 25 years, entire industries are going to disappear. Countries relying on mass manufacturing are going to find themselves with no revenues and no jobs."

On ground, sea or air, when parts break, new ones can be made on the spot, and even the tools to install them can be made, eliminating the need for staging parts in warehouses around the world, said Jeff DeGrange, vice president of Direct Digital Manufacturing at Stratasys Inc., currently the industry leader in a field of about 50 3-D printer companies.

"We're going to see innovation happening at a much higher rate, introduction of products at a much higher rate," said DeGrange. "We live in an on-demand world now, and we'll see production schedules are going to be greatly compressed."
ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck
Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 am

Ercan,

Are you in Turkey right now? If so, are you and yours safe?

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:54 am

We're at the tipping point of the year! Happy Solstice everyone!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
jim baird
Associate

Post by jim baird » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:55 am

Here you can tell the year's turning when the squirrels start cutting hickory nuts off the trees.
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Just spotted this and thought it might add a cheery note to the day! :)

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/george-lucas- ... 58613.html
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm

I've never had the honor of witnessing squirrels cutting their hickory nuts.

:shock:
jim baird
Associate

Post by jim baird » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 am

Carmela,

Here's how we know. The nuts hit our metal roof and rool, roll, roll.

We live in an oak/hickory forest.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:12 am

So cool, Jim.

I must say that the sounds on the roof inform much of our observations of weather, bird life and the condition of things like the swamp cooler and cable TV wiring.

8)
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 am

Seasons keep changing and how come bird flocks know how to react by intuition?
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Nermin,

Speaking about migrations, I saw Flight of the Butterflies in IMAX.

http://www.flightofthebutterflies.com/home/

It is an amazing movie about the annual migration of the Monarchs which takes three generations of butterflies to complete. It also presents the story of the journey of the married couple who devoted their lives to researching the migration.

If it wasn't true it would be unbelievable. Its fun to think about how this 4,000 mile migration might have evolved over time. Its really hard to imagine how it could have happened.

If there is an IMAX near you, I strongly recommend going. It is amazing.

Ron
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Here is another amazing video I'd like to share. It has nothing to do with butterflies, rather an old man from Canada flying kites.

The link came to me from Marge Shove who wrote:
The guy flying the 3 kites is in his 80s, and he's from Canada . He comes to the Washington State International Kite Festival every year. His skin is like leather as he normally flies with his shirt off. He is deaf, so when he flies we hold our hands up and wave them for applause. He flies 2 with his hands and the 3rd one is attached to his waist. Enjoy!
You must watch to the end to see the amazing landing of that last kite! I would have those kites so tangled up, you could never get them separated again! And of course, make sure the volume is turned up because the music is wonderful and totally reflects the soaring of the kites. Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=nr9KrqN_lIg

Ron
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Ron that was stunning!

Truly one of the most exquisite and elegant displays of the ( human spirit dancing with the wind ) one could imagine. " Life as Art ". Just awesome! ( Equal applause also to the filmmaker for capturing this essence. ) 8)

Here is something else you might enjoy. Yet another example of nature's " wonder of creatures " in this documentary from PBS on " Hummingbirds ".

http://video.pbs.org/video/1380512531
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:19 am

Thank you folks for all the reference and wise comments to ponder:-)
True friendship is based on trust, honesty and sincere generosity of our hearts