General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 am

One of the things Ron's post brings to mind is something I think is important about some of the recent things I have been seeing concerning " compassion " in the Robin Williams tragedy. The effort to reach out; even if you are going through suffering of your own. This need to feel connected is I think huge in it's various manifestations across the internet. This post of Robin Williams really got to me as an example; but the article about twitter helped to illustrate this idea about connection even more; ( that you are not alone ). Facebook of course would be another example; but that message of connection and compassion in all of this is one of the examples I think that Joseph Campbell was trying to convey that much of the human community must come to more fully realize.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb ... 21492.html

https://news.yahoo.com/jack-dorsey-on-t ... 43463.html

( I might mention here that I'm going to post a thread on " The Giver " as soon as I can get organized for anyone that may be interested since there are many areas that this topic has relevance to concerning Joseph's themes such as the " Hero's Journey " and also I think " memory " which is one of it's major subjects. I asked Clemsy and he agrees that this would be a good avenue to explore. )

Cheers :)
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:22 pm

This is a news item that might be worth keeping an eye on.

http://news.yahoo.com/kroger-cross-hair ... nance.html

Firearms in grocery stores might provide a helpful debate in bringing some sanity and clarity concerning the general public's perception of the conflict and confusion between " open carry " permits and gun control. :idea:

On another note but in one sense somewhat connected is the video link listed at the bottom of the page. I live in a part of the country where the bravado of firearms is accepted as part of the landscape; and where the solution to fear from violence is introduced to children who are not shown a better way. Unfortunately some earlier examples of mentors who might have served this function were from bygone eras that are not seen as relevant and have long faded from view. One that I have always thought of as a model was the legendary athlete and sportswriter Grantland Rice; whom I doubt many sports fans have ever heard of but in this particular clip below would without a doubt be worth mentioning as an example within this same context.

Here is some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grantland_Rice

When you view this clip listen to this little league coach's voice and especially look on the faces of these young boys and you will see why this is so important. Kids need not only to be imprinted with the ability to utilize good thinking skills; but to have a sense of self-worth and the feeling that they have value. ( Life lessons are the theme here. ) This message I think is one of the understandings that Joseph Campbell tried to illuminate that the myths must be able to provide in guiding a child through adulthood to be able to navigate the inevitable challenges that must be faced throughout the stages of a lifetime. ( Perhaps if we had more of this understanding witnessed below we would have less of a problem with the issues listed above. )

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/leagu ... -1.1908818

Very moving. 8)
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:49 pm

What is it about the sense of connection to someone or a pet that gives meaning? This short flicker clip I think can communicate at least some of this feeling that can be so difficult to put into words. :idea:

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2014/08/22/m ... heir-pets/
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:15 am

This video about a lion has gone viral. It speaks for itself. All I can add is "mommy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLB_u695wTg
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 am

Powerful Ron. It's hard to believe after watching the video that an animal like that is one of the most ferocious predators on the planet. I don't know what it is about this mystical bond with animals that connects us. Perhaps it has something to do with what Joe talks about in " The Power of Myth " that goes back to ancient prehistoric times when the sound of thunder would wake us in terror from the wildness that lies somewhere in the darkness of night or the deep caves where sacred rites of passage were experienced and displayed with animal paintings upon the walls. Or maybe when ceremonies around campfires evoked their spirits to guide us or become our spirit envoys providing wisdom or food to help us with our survival. But there is definitely something recognizable there when you look into their eyes that stirs within us.

I find it amazing sometimes that when in the quiet of the morning or at dusk when surrounded by nature one can feel this kind of deep interconnection when the land is quiet and still; just barely stirring; and will reach out to talk to you if you will only listen. ( Not always of course for nature has it's many moods like people do; and some of them can be unpleasant or worse. ) But it's wonder and awesome power; especially within all it's creatures and fauna are more than enough wealth for anyone to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that. 8)
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:55 am

I bet that lion was fed though... If it was hungry the result would be much different.. Sorry to rain on your parade.
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Andreas wrote:I bet that lion was fed though... If it was hungry the result would be much different.. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Well that might depend Andreas. The Hollywood movie " Born Free " was based on the actual research of George and Joy Adamson; who spent their lives working on the issue of human interaction with wild African Lions and the concept of domestication verses the wild and it's preservation. ( Yes as to the lions the results were mixed. ) The actual point of the research was to reveal and promote a better understanding of wild African lions and their habitat along with their relationship with humans. The impact on the world's previous misconceptions of these issues was enormous in ways unimaginable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4cHOZgbWQ

But yes I take your point about naivete. :wink:
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes James. I am the last person who wants to believe that aggression and preservation are some innate mechanism that we have to act upon. And I have seen to many examples in nature to believe otherwise. But there is a fine point to everything.

:)
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Andreas wrote:Yes James. I am the last person who wants to believe that aggression and preservation are some innate mechanism that we have to act upon. And I have seen to many examples in nature to believe otherwise. But there is a fine point to everything.

:)
Yes Andreas I certainly agree and that was one of the main points brought out within the above documentary. The movie: " Born Free " of course was a kind of Hollywood fairy tale. ( The ferocity of nature and man's relationship to it ) was the reality to be addressed as part of the theme. But the documentary also showed ( that is not the whole story ) and those people gave their lives toward that breakthrough in human perception and understanding. Indeed within the " Ecological Movement " itself whose very beginnings were also directly connected to this early effort of considering our relationship to " The Wild "; ( yes ) it is a balance that involves common sense.

I had a cold but illuminating experience once when I took my daughter to a traveling exhibit of the Big Cats and it was around feeding time. As we were strolling from cage to cage I looked over my shoulder at one point only to see one of them starring with a laser focus on my little girl as prey and it sent a chilling and unmistakable definition to me of what the reality of " the wild " meant.

The point as I understood it in the documentary was not only the reach and the actual depth of the connection itself; but also man's understanding of it and how to respond in a realistic but also compassionate way because this is something we are part of. The breakthrough was in the realization that we are interconnected in ways we may not fully understand along with living in the world as it actually is; not being separate from it. Of course one does not walk in front of a freight train or stick their hand into a fire. But the relationship connection with this wild predator as a fellow creature was the " clue of a doorway to something more to be discovered " was actually the message I think. At least that was my impression. I'm certainly not saying you disagree with this point of view; but just trying to clarify a little more what I was getting at. If you do disagree with any of this though that's fine; everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I am deeply reminded of this connection every single time I pet a fellow four-legged companion. And also when I get hungry for something to eat as well. ( The requirements within the acts of living can be a difficult thought to reconcile. But in the end this is the reality we must live with which you may have been referring to. As Joseph mentions: Life continues on by the killing and eating of itself. )

Cheers :)
Last edited by JamesN. on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:28 pm

James I dont disagree with anything you say on this particular subject. Unfortunately nature does not share or own notions about life.

I didnt have time to watch the documentary you linked but I will definitely see it especially after explaining its subject-matter. You got my attention.

Here is another documentary of man's greed and effort to control nature. A tragedy, but the result was to be excepted.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545118/
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 pm

My apologies Andreas; for I was refining my post when you responded and indeed it seems like we are pretty much in agreement. ( The documentary looks interesting; thank you. ) 8)
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Every now and then after checking the daily news and seeing the usual assortment of what might be called " challenging or depressing " stories; you come across something very special:

https://gma.yahoo.com/sanitation-driver ... 19996.html

:wink:
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 am

ONAM GREETINGS TO EVERYBODY! :D

Saying that in Malayalam...

എല്ലാവർക്കും ഓണാശംസകൾ!

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Cindy B.