General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

That sport is simply a violent distraction and I don't follow it nor do I support it. Someone had to tell me that Sunday was the Superbowl. I stayed for snacks and left before the game began. Today I heard the score. Big whoop.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:56 am

I don't know who played the big game or who won or anything. Does it matter?

:roll:

I have a friend who was swimming in the ocean in a Moslem country. A mother and her very young daughter were in the water. An undercurrent nearly drowned the girl, and when rescuers were responding to the emergency, a small crowd surrounded the scene.

The girl's top had to be removed, and her pre-pubescent chest was exposed. Her mother screamed at the rescuers to let her daughter die, because having her breasts exposed made her unable to marry, and therefore a dishonor to her family. When she was revived, she had to be placed under protection from her family, because she was in danger of becoming the victim of an honor killing.

---

As a rape victim, I sometimes think it's possible that I may be regarded as too damaged to earn money or do good work or be trusted, etc. People might think that it is my fault if it hurts, I am ruined and useless, should "move on", "be positive", and on and and on. The pressures fall like rain and never stop. People think I am in danger of suicide.

I speculate all of the above, because I have no idea. I'm in the eye of a storm. I have spent a lifetime feeling punished, and it's not clear what my crime might be or what forces are at work. I envy those who have physical injuries. Their challenges are obvious. Mine are invisible, mysterious and total. I think maybe people think it is a distraction, a permanent and complete bar to any normal condition. They don't call it dishonor here. They call it "damage". I am ruined.

The reaction that is most common is the idea that I MUST be completely broken and emotionally disabled. Examined repeatedly by experts, I have been given a clean bill of health, but doctors cannot account for the social response.

Secrecy is the answer.

Please don't tell anyone I was raped!

~

The work of Campbell helps. I only have to read and be here, and I know everything is fine and dandy. Bliss is mine. Nobody can take it from me.

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene
Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Bear, You are one of the bravest women I have ever encountered. I am humbled by your honesty. I know that there are many who have benefited from you courage and compassion. You are worthy and you are loved. -- Peace.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:07 pm

If not me, I don't know who I'd be.

~

Everyone suffers.
Everyone suffers grief.
Everyone suffers grief in waves.
Everyone suffers grief in waves that change.
Everyone suffers grief in waves that change us for the better.

~
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:32 pm

As our associate, maik, reminds us, life is too short to be too sad, too much. The "r" word is hard to take when it is used too frequently. I think that in this forum, I have hammered my point down with too much force and for too long. I will refrain from mentioning it again any time soon. Don't want to bring everyone down!

~
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Something by Robert Reich on the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, a free trade agreemment:

http://robertreich.org/post/109593544790

~

The takeaway:

Obama's agreement is supposed to protect us from China by favoring big business profits at the expense of public safety, consumer interests, health and environmental protection. In other words, Wall Street and the big corporations are going to get rich at our expense to "save " the world from Chinese commercial dominance.

One of my favorite little sidetrips was a look at a lawsuit against the government of Uruguay by Phillip Morris. The corporation alleges that anti-smoking health regulations violate an international treaty that protects tobacco profits. They may actually win the suit, because big business is succeeding at making it illegal for governments to protect the health and safety of the public to the detriment of the super rich.

The Trans-Pacific Agreement is trying to make this a reality for everyone, not just the poor Latin American countries who are too weak to defend themselves against Obama and his Wall Street pals.

Welcome to the new version of free trade.

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 am

I saw this very cool article on the Google news page this morning and thought it might be worth sharing. It's always nice running in to things like this: 8)

http://www.coloradohometownweekly.com/n ... -sunday-at

( Here is a little more about it. ) :)

http://donalauritagallery.com/blog
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 am

Thanks, James.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:32 pm

James, the links lifted my spirits on a lonely day. Many thanks. It does my heart good to feel connected to such inspired work. We are all so lucky to have Campbell's work available to us. He really put meat on the bone. It starts with art and meaning, but the substance is in the sense and feeling.

Our personal journeys are challenging, and the soft touch of a resonant symbol has the effect of lifting the soul and melding experiences, one to another, as if they were all one again. I had no trouble imagining the profound recognition of meaning in the metaphor of the open door. Beautiful pictures and wonderful ideas.

Once again, James, you and Campbell and the great work he inspires have made my whole day. I am grateful.

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:49 pm

Dionysus wrote:Thanks, James.
Carmela wrote:
James, the links lifted my spirits on a lonely day. Many thanks. It does my heart good to feel connected to such inspired work. We are all so lucky to have Campbell's work available to us. He really put meat on the bone. It starts with art and meaning, but the substance is in the sense and feeling.

Our personal journeys are challenging, and the soft touch of a resonant symbol has the effect of lifting the soul and melding experiences, one to another, as if they were all one again. I had no trouble imagining the profound recognition of meaning in the metaphor of the open door. Beautiful pictures and wonderful ideas.

Once again, James, you and Campbell and the great work he inspires have made my whole day. I am grateful.

You are very kind Dionysus and Carmela; it lifts my spirits too when I come across these fellow travelers on the same sort of spiritual journeys many of us struggle with. It's nice to think we are not alone on these paths and warms the heart to know there are others of like mind seeking their own individual way in a kind of shared spiritual community. ( Pretty cool I think. 8) )
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:24 am

I cannot say that I have ever heard us referred to as "spiritual community". The philosophical and psychological outlook of Campbell and his followers do form a belief system, and the social bonds are strong enough to keep interaction going on over many years, online and through verbal and visual interpersonal connection.

The physical person is both all too real and mostly imagined. We are real people with virtual lives online, where we converse at will and leave a virtual mark. It is a kind of writing made possible by this computer technology, the global economy, global democratic social interaction and a worldwide acceptance of our presence here. We are free. We are connected to one another. We support each other in ways that promote personal health and well-being, general happiness and community.

By his relentless searching and his optimistic outlook, Joseph Campbell started a shared journey of fellow travellers, whose mission is to see ourselves to and through the gate leading to what we can only imagine. Through imagination, we anticipate our personal path and we find where we belong among the layers of social and institutional interconnections that shelter and challenge us, nurturing and guiding, knocking us about and testing our mettle as we proceed.

We are alone with our computer hardware, tapping out letters on a keyboard and feeling a bond to ideas we not only have in common, but that we use as necessary everyday tools to recognize and understand our individual experience, however it occurs and changes and evolves over time.The people we encounter here are as close as our screens, as easy to touch as the emoticons we add to our text and as personal as we dare to feel.

It is spiritual, but not religious, as they say at the dating websites. It is not only virtual and technological. It is not just ideas, as compelling as those might be. It involves emotion. It is, for me, deeply personal. This is no ordinary conversation. It is a journey through time and space taken by Campbell's own students; aspiring heroes all.

To me, this is a great privilege.

~
Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Bear, I loved your line, "The physical person is all too real and mostly imagined." -- very nice. As for the rest of your post, I can only say that it is an honor to share this virtual space with you. -- dio.
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm

For me the most important thing Campbell said was that we try to enjoy the transcendent mystery of life. I take him literally.

I think that most of us strive for the transcendent in the forms of wisdom, love, honor, beauty, happiness, awakening, etc. For me this is a very real force. It is the force that may, in a few thousand years, take us beyond these dark ages and past this savage world. On the other hand, the Hindus may be right and this is Kali Yuga, I hope they are wrong.

I think of the imagination and dreams as transcendent gifts for those born before their time.
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Roncooper wrote:For me the most important thing Campbell said was that we try to enjoy the transcendent mystery of life. I take him literally.

I think that most of us strive for the transcendent in the forms of wisdom, love, honor, beauty, happiness, awakening, etc. For me this is a very real force. It is the force that may, in a few thousand years, take us beyond these dark ages and past this savage world. On the other hand, the Hindus may be right and this is Kali Yuga, I hope they are wrong.

I think of the imagination and dreams as transcendent gifts for those born before their time.
Nicely stated Ron. In a more general sense I tend to look at this or interpret it as the " higher self "; or put another way as: " Leaning towards the light ". :idea:
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 am

Dionysus wrote:Bear, I loved your line, "The physical person is all too real and mostly imagined." -- very nice. As for the rest of your post, I can only say that it is an honor to share this virtual space with you. -- dio.
Dio,

This is where we can all make sense out of what tends to bend away from the center. This place on the net is a sacred space, where we can be ourselves and slip past all the boundaries that limit us in any way. Here we are, and this is our time. So cool.

8)