General Crosstalk - A Spot for the Odd Comment

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 pm

You are angry and sympathetic to the teachers, but what the superintendent and the president are trying to do is to get adults to be accountable to the children.

The fact that you work hard does not mean you can't be held accountable, either. There is a huge difference between working hard and working smart.

Although, on the basic point, I agree with you, neither Obama nor the superintendent are working smart. Not surprisingly, neither are the kids. The adults on both sides are setting a very poor example.

Painting Democrats with the same brush is unfair. These statements were made by two individuals. Nobody else is guilty by association.

When I ran for State Rep, I got some letters from school unions. Really, if you want to make people guilty by association, there isn't much for you to crow about. The unions never mentioned the children. They just wanted more money for themselves, as a matter of principle.

Hypocrisy is always a double-edged sword. It is easy to cut yourself with what you accuse another.

My kids are relatively intelligent, but in large part because I re-teach what they are learning in school, to undo/reveal the bias that the teachers have.
2 Peter 2:1
[ False Teachers and Their Destruction ] But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.
Ask yourself, how can a country based on the separation of church and state possibly survive? The first step was to exclude truth, The church excludes truth too, since it is unwilling to give up its tax exemption. Rather than having 'do not kill' we have 'do not shoot until you see the whites of their eyes.' The new scripture is taught all across the land, but we can't escape the basic fact that we can't serve two masters: God and money. Hypocrisy has long been institutionalized, and the new unions are as bad as the old robber barons. Who is teaching what, is a bigger problem than you realize.

In fact, your gripe sounds a lot like the factory worker, who puts in long hours for little pay. The workers unionized and got more pay, but now the products are even more expensive for the consumer, making everyone poorer, including the union worker. There was a reason why Lenin opposed unions! The democrats are confused, but the Libertarians and Republicans are not any better. Do what I do. Hold your nose. I have always described myself as a "hold-my-nose democrat." :-)

...and beware the mirror. It hurts.
You can only see the height of a mountain from its valley.

The radical myth towards which the helix aspires is beyond the desire for money or power, yet which has greater returns than all the power and money in the world could not achieve.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:42 pm

The fact that you work hard does not mean you can't be held accountable, either.
Give me a very large break here, Steve. Where did I say anyone shouldn't be held accountable? In fact, gee, I said:
Teachers should, indeed, be held accountable. But to hold no one else accountable, and this is my perception of the President's ill-advised education policy, is simply politically expedient.

:roll:
Painting Democrats with the same brush is unfair.
Not at all. The Democrats are taking my vote for granted, that's number one. Number two the party is filled with spineless cowards. I may disagree, vehemently, with the Republicans, but damn if they don't get things done when they have control. Wait. They are the minority party, and they're still in control.

And far too many in both parties are bought and paid for by the corporate interests that brought us the current economic crisis. Who suffers? Millions of middle class, working class and poor Americans.

The President's education policy is just one piece of the puzzle but this is the last straw. He's using Alexander's solution to the Gordian Knot. Let's see, what other analogies can I make... If the Titanic is sinking, and I don't agree that it is, he's firing the crew and rearranging the deck chairs.

The rest of your post is of no interest to me. Respond to this one if you want, but I know better than to get on the merry-go-round with you.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Clemsy wrote: The rest of your post is of no interest to me. Respond to this one if you want, but I know better than to get on the merry-go-round with you.

Although, on the basic point, I agree with you, neither Obama nor the superintendent are working smart. Not surprisingly, neither are the kids. The adults on both sides are setting a very poor example.

..obviously that part, too. You make it too easy.

The radical myth towards which the helix aspires is beyond the desire for money or power, yet which has greater returns than all the power and money in the world could not achieve.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:26 pm

...My own trust in our political leaders is at a personal low. And I actually know and like these people. I just think they are trapped in a system that buries their good qualities and brings out the bad. For the first time in my life, I think there is a possibility of a serious third party in America. ~David Brooks
S_Watson
Associate

Post by S_Watson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am

Clemsy wrote:
...My own trust in our political leaders is at a personal low. And I actually know and like these people. I just think they are trapped in a system that buries their good qualities and brings out the bad. For the first time in my life, I think there is a possibility of a serious third party in America. ~David Brooks
The common assumption that America ought to have a two party system is actually a relatively recent invention, going back to when Theodore Roosevelt split the Republican Party who consequently lost in 1912.

(I would say the result of that election was a tragedy for Mankind as it resulted in the election of Wilson who got us into WW I, protracted the war beyond necessity, and then buggered up the boundaries of Europe with his half-baked ideas of "national self-determination" which laid the ground for Hitler.)

At any rate, after the election of 1912 was when both major parties began to rely principally upon consensus in national party conventions for the sake of party unity.

George Washington was hostile to the very idea of political parties and I basically agree with him.
SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm

S_Watson wrote:
George Washington was hostile to the very idea of political parties and I basically agree with him.
I am not a fan of Washington. I think he was conceited, arrogant and a hypocrite. Very much like a lot of politicians, union bosses, business owners, executives, priests and non-profits are today. In other words, things haven't changed much.

There are five levels of reform: personal, town, state, national and global. In general, the more one thinks globally, the less they think personally. Washington wanting liberty from the King, for example, but failing to give it to his slaves, is a classic example among many.

On the issue of party, he was correct,and it is one of the more interesting aspects of his Farewell Address. Farewell Addresses, in general, are a breed apart. It was in one that Eisenhower warned about the military-industrial complex, and the general spiritual bankruptcy of American culture.

Will there be a third party movement of consequence? Doubtful. The tea-party are just uber-greedy, just like the other two parties. Of course, these two parties can be fractured into more or less disorganized wings, which is all that is occurring, again. The Bush Republican, the Eisenhower Republican and the Ron Paul Republican are all very different.

But if what Clemsy wants comes true, a political party made up of unionized government employees, whose only expectation is 'more', then we may well have a new revolution. They are the polar opposite of the tea partiers, and set up the perfect ideological collision. It will be the uber-democrats against the uber-republicans. The two extremist wings will assume dominance and become the mainstream opponents.

Since politics is layered upon a dysfunctional economic system, neither side will succeed as power flip flops between the two, just as it hasn't worked in the past.

Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Steve wrote:...The tea-party are just uber-greedy...
And uber-scary. :P The notion of a third party sounds good to me, but good grief...

Cindy
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 am

I'm test driving Google Chrome. Anyone have an opinion? I like it so far... loads pages a bit faster than Firefox, elegant design...
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Google Chrome?
Less secure but congenial for people
with visual memory :P
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:33 pm

Seems intuitively designed. What are the security issues, Nermin?
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:51 pm

You know, they say that's not good enough in malware protection.
They made tests and found several flaws.
You can look over the following if you like.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=9860
I just know that Firefox is really security minded
but Chrome gets better and better in each new version.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Interesting. Those links both a bit dated.... but, interestingly, I obtained Chrome with my Ad-Aware version update. Perhaps this partnership minimizes the concern?
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been in “the belly of the whale” the last few months, but I feel it’s time to reemerge (at least a little). Just in time for spring and the “new year”. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Nermin
Associate

Post by Nermin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Clemsy,
Most people are using Google products rather safely
and I like their human -imperfect- side :D
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Neo! Welcome back! Good to see your name!