On Consideration of the New Year

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

edgeyy66
Associate

Post by edgeyy66 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:18 am

Happy new year Campbellians.

I've enjoyed lurking around this board for a while now. I am new to JCF and finding the high level conversations stimulating but it can be tough to jump into them cold.

I'm wanting to do some work around writing my own hero's journey. Putting a narrative together that I identify with that I can use as a sort of overarching vision and mission statement of sorts - maybe a road map to following my bliss.

I'm sure I'm not the first to want to do this. What sort of resources are out the that the JFC veterans can recommend? I am looking for a process to follow - an outline and samples of others work if possible.

I need a solid answer to the question "Who am I" The potential to gain insight to this question I see in JCF is why I am so intensely drawn to this material.

Any help is appreciated and all the Best in 2014.

P.S.

I wrote a post on goals, value and anxiety for 2014 on my Blog "Notes from the Edge" - I write about my own journey of discovery and my purpose in to share it with others to give a little back.

here is a link if you are interested. http://www.edgeynotes.com/2014/01/the-e ... -year.html

I know "link dropping" is frowned on in some places. I try to only share where it is relevant to ongoing conversations. I welcome dialogue on the subject either here or on my Blog. Let me now if this is inappropriate and I will make the necessary adjustments.
Free eBook "Planning for Success" when you subscribe to my Author Blog here: http://bit.ly/samfree
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 am

Hello Edgeyy66.

I think you might like a trip to the JCF bookstore for there is certainly plenty of resources to look through. A couple of recommendations I might suggest would be the DVD " Mythic Journeys " which may need a Google search for I'm not sure if it is listed there. Also Diane Osbon's excellent book "Reflections on the Art of Living: A Joseph Campbell Companion " might also be of help. " The Hero's Journey " and " The Power of Myth " books and DVD's you may already be familiar with but if not are perfect for beginning introductions to this material. Depending on your time and interests there is quite a bit lecture and media resources available within the website and links to others as well. Clemsy our forums moderator may have other suggestions to offer and I'm sure would be more than happy to be of assistance if asked.

One thing in particular that might be useful is to let your heart and interests lead you and to see where some of this takes you while you are sort of ( getting organized ) as it were. The associates are always very helpful here and I'm sure you will find much to peruse within the threads as I'm sure you have already noticed. ( A very nice blog you have by the way and seems like you already have some good feedback. )

I Hope this is helpful.

Cheers :)
Last edited by JamesN. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
edgeyy66
Associate

Post by edgeyy66 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 am

THanks - I'm just working through the Power of Myth Book for the first time and finding it great. I will def find "The Hero's Journey" now that I know there is such a book.

I am in the place where the thought and ideas are still gelling and I haven't fully gotten my head around all the big picture yet. I want to get it all yesterday but I think you're advice is more realistic - pick a starting point and follow my heart and thoughts - see where that take me.

Cheers
Free eBook "Planning for Success" when you subscribe to my Author Blog here: http://bit.ly/samfree
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Hey edgeyy66. I went to the JCF bookstore and came across some things that might also be helpful:

http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php?categoryid=123

( Right side of the page - go to Categories; scroll down to click on Popular Voices; then click on Personal Myth; then click on second page - and go to the top left corner ) ( In particular these selections might be good: " Your Mythic Journey: Finding Meaning in Your Life Through Writing and Storytelling (Inner Work Book) " By Sam Keen, Anne Valley-Fox ) The whole " Personal Myth " section is excellent but from what I gathered in your post this work book seems to focus in line with what you might be interested in. Also Stephen Larson's: " The Mythic Imagination: The Quest for Meaning through Personal Mythology " might have something to offer. He was the one who wrote Joseph Campbell's biography: " Fire in the Mind ". ( Just some more suggestions. )

Both Sam Keene and Stephen Larsen were a friends of Joseph Campbell who influenced much of their work.

edgeyy66
Associate

Post by edgeyy66 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 pm

On Man James that's pure gold for me thanks!!!!!

I found a course online - I wonder if anyone here has heard of it?

http://www.livingtheherosjourney.com/

It's reasonable priced a about $30.00 US but as far as I can see it's not from the JCF or any link directly of Campbell.

I think i will get it and review it here.[/url]
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:23 am

Hey Edgeyy66.

You might want to hold off on the " website follow through " for the moment. I ran this by our moderator and there may be some serious copyright issues with the foundation. ( They are charging money for using someone else's intellectual property and that is definitely a concern. ) He's going to send it along to the foundation's head administrator to check it out. Thank you very much for bringing this here.

Much luck in your new journey.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:13 am

Hey edgeyy66.

I just got word from Clemsy our forum moderator who ran it by Bob Walters the Foundation president; this is definitely in violation and may have legal issues so I would not recommend this resource.

On the bright side I went to the library and checked out: Stephen Larson's: " The Mythic Imagination: The Quest for Meaning through Personal Mythology "; ( outstanding recommendation here. ) 8) Also later after you are further along the foundation's: " Pathways to Bliss " would be a really good addition; ( but you already have plenty to go with at the moment ). This is all really great material and should be very helpful for you.

Best Wishes; James :)

Addendum: Another suggestion you might want to consider is perhaps offering a post on Clemsy's " The Story " thread in this same forum category. An excellent place for sharing something of your own journey.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 pm

From Google, about 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-sY_z8MNs

On achieving the calm, cheerful, rich life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaHDCcUcmc0

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 am

It's that time again; New Years is approaching when we mark the cycle of time passing and the relevance of what is meaningful both past and present as well as the future. And as we reflect there may be something inside that is calling to us that we can't quite put our finger on pointing past the temporal towards the timeless. May you all have great holiday moments as you bring in the new year!

http://www.weboflove.org/060309cabride

http://www.kindspring.org/story/view.php?sid=24087

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:28 am

Taken from the new " MyBlast " page concerning fundraising for the foundation; ( you can choose which area you would like your contribution to be applied ). I might also mention that if you sign up for " Amazon smile " through this website a small portion of every purchase you make may also be applied here. For myself there would be no way I could possibly measure how much he has affected my life.
Contrary to popular opinion, Joseph Campbell was not a wealthy man (he only became famous after he died). The Campbells lived in the same tiny, cramped apartment in Greenwich Village for four decades, sleeping in the living room so Joe could use the bedroom as his office (where a picnic table and a bench with no back served as desk and chair). Campbell worked a three-quarters schedule at Sarah Lawrence College, taking a cut in income so he would have time to pursue his reading and his writing (following bliss, rather than following money); in fact, Campbell earned no retirement from Sarah Lawrence.

And yet, despite his lack of material wealth, he was rich in the living of life. Joseph Campbell followed his bliss and doors opened for him, bringing opportunities to travel, study, and play—opportunities that today most associate with a life of leisure and great wealth.

Campbell's observations about money reflect his experience and that of friends and kindred spirits:

MONEY is congealed energy and releasing it releases life possibilities.

Money experienced as life energy is indeed a meditation, and letting it flow out instead of hoarding it is a mode of participation in the lives of others...I always think you can translate sociology into psychology. It has to do with energy distribution. What are you going to do with your money? What factor in your own consciousness are you going to favor in the spending of the money?

What do we value? What do we want to see grow?

Happy New Year everyone! :)
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:30 pm

The New Year has arrived in Abu Dhabi.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everybody!

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:02 pm

Also wishing happy new year to all of us -from an Istanbul in stormy weather!
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Hello Ercan and best to you as well. So nice to hear from you and hope things are good for you these days. :)
Ercan2121
Associate

Post by Ercan2121 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 pm

So nice to have such a prompt reply from you, James;
as I said, it's a little stormy here :?
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:17 pm

We're just off and on " rainy-gloomy " where I am at the moment; your days are good I hope. :)