On Consideration of the New Year

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:10 am

It's foggy here in Abu Dhabi.

It seems that we have all become English, discussing just the weather. ;)

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:15 am

:lol:

Indeed Nandu; just nice to see some our old friends popping in for a moment.
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am

Here's popping, James!

My New Year is happy, because I'm managing my feelings fairly well.

What makes this such a great year is that I feel safe in spite of everything. Like Professor Joe, I live in circumstances that are lacking in funds, but I am able to write my thoughts as they occur to me, and if anyone objects, they rarely say so in my presence.

I do not know whether political doors can open for me, but I have a meeting soon that may tell me whether life in politics is closed to me or still a possibility. It is nice to live a limited life, because I can write about it openly. The drama in my life, such as it is, tends to be mostly about the struggles of a disabled woman who remains a concern for her former live-in caregiver and the innermost thoughts of a somewhat eccentric old lady from the American southwest.

Writing in journals and here at JCF is easy, and it is simply about writing whatever is inside my head at any given moment. The next prose book is not much more than a shoe box of notes and cards and scribbles.The book of poetry is a file folder that dates back to the early 1970's. Not much art work. I am slowly giving away my art supplies and paintings, because I do not want the distraction. Like romantic love, there is not much room for it any longer.

If I write what I know, then it has to be obvious that I know my observations on my life experience better than any other subject.

Writing is like thinking out loud, except it involves another medium than sound waves travelling to ear canals. It is one kind of bliss, like breathing. Who settles for just breathing? Plants do it. I am not ready to lay down and die, but that's honestly where my thoughts tend to go when the energy leaves me and rest feels less like respite and more like fate.

~
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:39 pm

Carmela that's very interesting about your writing and your current reflective mental state you mention. Indeed Joseph Campbell points out that as we move into life's later stages our thoughts turn more inward and we start to access many of our life experiences from a different point of view.

I know for myself much of my attention lately has been concerned with experiences I have had in my life and examining certain meanings for me in relation to where I am now. Also I think it is good to think about new avenues of growth as well so I have been trying to try to approach this new stage from that direction and the new year I hope will offer even more promise for that; but perhaps I should explain. For instance since performance in music is no longer the main doable option for me it once was because of my age I have been trying learn the new art form of photography since it allows for intense mental stimulation yet at the same time does not have the physical requirements or demands I previously had to put forth to achieve the self-expression that was one of the main driving forces of my life. ( And I think that finding " meaning " in the things that we do as human beings is one of the most important needs we are called to address at any life stage; especially as we grow older. )

The Carl Jung insights that Joseph Campbell suggested throughout much of his work have been tremendously helpful within this transition for as I get further along into this life process it helps me to more fully understand what is happening to me and some of the reasons why my mental outlook has changed; how to look at this; and how better to cope with it's realities. So much of my reading and the time that I spend now is focused grappling with all of this change; and the support that it has provided in making these transitions has been enormous. It doesn't make life easier to experience by blocking out it's pain; but instead helps me to better see the meanings in the things that my life is telling me. It also has helped me to recover better from being blind-sided as much by certain types of experiences or life events by being able to step back for a moment and perhaps get some mental distance to assimilate them a little more effectively. ( I've had several circumstances recently where either by way of relationships or other types of life encounters where things from my past or from my present reality has presented me with emotional conflicts and this has made a very big difference in how I respond instead of just reacting or not dealing with them. ) And I have been better able to either reconcile or work my way through them than I otherwise would have in the past.

At any rate I thought I would share some of those things since as Nandu has suggested some actual input might be good here instead of just polite conversational exchange; ( these are forums for higher discourse after all ); and you have been made a much better effort here than I have.
:wink:

Cheers everyone. :)
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:19 am

James, I can't remember where I read it, but data was collected on what most people, (both male and female), think about most of the time. A high percentage, about 85%, think more about relationships than any other subject.

As you said, Campbell and Jung help give us the clues we need to make our way through life. It is so much easier, knowing that the human experience can make sense at some primal level, where we discover universal stories of the hero of billions and billions of faces.

It makes all the difference to be able to use myth as a tool for reflection and learning, and most especially when the years pile up like dry leaves on the autumn grass. What once filled our lives is being thrown over in favor of the work of aging.

The inward journeying is the luxury of being somewhat retired. We're lucky.

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:14 am

Carmela you might find what Joseph Campbell says about this of interest from Diane Osbon's " Reflection From the Art of Living ":

Page 88;

" The Image of decline in old age is a bit deceptive, because even though your energies are not those of early youth - that was the time of moving into the field of making all the big drives - now you are in the field, and this is the time of the opening flower, the real fulfillment, the bringing forth of what you have prepared yourself to bring forth. It is a wonderful moment. It is not a loss situation, as if you're throwing off something to go down. Not at all. It is a blooming. "
:idea: :)
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:42 am

I hope that we won't be deflowered by any power greater than the transition into the extended consciousness we hope to experience when the brain ceases to function.

Perhaps we can remain innocent after all. That appeals to me as a survivor of the myth known as "The Fall". IMHO, true believers of this myth are the scourge of the Western world.

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Indeed Carmela; concerning so many things we as human beings have certain ideas we connect with. Religion is certainly a big one and politics or relationships might be others to consider here as well. Here is an article about " projection " from the " Jung in the weeds " thread that illustrates just how powerful this influence is. And whether religion or politics or the interaction within our relationships is the subject matter; much less in so many other areas of human life; I think it is very difficult to escape how it colors everything we experience.

I had a rather humbling moment the other day when I was viewing what I found to be a particularly irritating political story. At one point my frustration prompted the inspiration to post my feelings; ( read vent here ); to relieve my exasperation. Then something caught my attention that allowed me to look at the issue from another point of view thereby exposing my projections; ( read see yourself as others see you ); and it illuminated to me how this could be construed in a totally different way; ( and not so complimentary; read hypocrite ); and I immediately took it down; ( thank goodness ). But the point shook my sensibilities of how blinded I might be to my own opinions. So what I'm driving at in this case is we all have " New Years resolutions "; and another one of my " Considerations for the coming year " on my list is to try to become more conscious of my " projections ". We all project it seems but the article is an excellent insight into this process.

Here is another quote that Cindy mentions about developing awareness concerning things of this nature that really got my attention. ( Now if I can only remember to keep this in mind every time I get frustrated. lol ):
Remember, “Emotion is the chief source of all becoming conscious.” --Jung

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7178,d.b2I

Cheers :)
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 pm

The article makes a distinction between fantasy and objectivity that adds more than a dollop of skepticism, (and perhaps a touch of cynicism), to all our experiences and observations. This kind of awareness may have a moderating influence, but at the risk of putting a damper on creativity and authenticity.

Projection sometimes makes sense.

~
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 pm

CarmelaBear wrote:The article makes a distinction between fantasy and objectivity that adds more than a dollop of skepticism, (and perhaps a touch of cynicism), to all our experiences and observations. This kind of awareness may have a moderating influence, but at the risk of putting a damper on creativity and authenticity.

Projection sometimes makes sense.

~

Carmela my friend you lost me on this one; but perhaps my post may have drifted somewhat from yours on what you had originally intended. If you'll permit me I don't see the connection here to dampening creativity and authenticity. At least as far as one's interpretation of reality is concerned; that is part of the point I was getting at in relation to my own experiences; ( how blinded we may become by our projections; and how emotions are a clue to point out how strongly they affect us ). Or are you saying something completely different here? :?

Let me add an addendum to try and clarify a little better what I'm saying about " projection ". If I say to someone you do not see the world in the same way that I do; that could be a recognition of a difference in a point of view. But if I say you are not a " true believer " with regards to my religion; depending on how it is presented that can be seen or experienced as a projection that implies a negative, demeaning, or derogatory intent. That said compliments as well as many other types of verbal or mental connections associated within ones mental state can also be projections; but my point here is that they color everything we do and say to some degree. Joseph's point had to do with how to keep a proper balance in our perception of things. When he quoted the old saying of: " not taking the splitter out of someone's eye before taking the log out of one's own "; IMHO he's talking projection; perception; and balance. We all have to use judgment but to be careful when we criticize someone because there may be something else at work within our own mental state that we may not be aware of. ( This of course would apply within a reasonable context; and the context that I quoted happened to step out of that zone. I was demonizing instead of looking within at my own inner reasons as to why I felt as I did and part of the issue I was attempting to address resided there. ) This was not about being creative but yes I guess you could say that in one sense being " authentic " might apply here. So yes I'll have to give you that one and own up to it; but I would also interpret efforts toward controlling projection as a means to help in one's journey towards authenticity; not dampen it.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion about what I was trying to convey concerning my " New Years Resolution ". :lol: :wink:
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:35 pm

When I re-read my post, I no longer remembered what was in my head when I wrote it. The subject is over my head, and going back to the article did not jog my memory.

Maybe there was a cogent thought there, but it's as clear as mud now.

:?
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:46 pm

CarmelaBear wrote:When I re-read my post, I no longer remembered what was in my head when I wrote it. The subject is over my head, and going back to the article did not jog my memory.

Maybe there was a cogent thought there, but it's as clear as mud now.

:?
Not to worry Carmela; that's fine. But if you want to discuss this further the topic has probably evolved to the point of moving it to another more appropriate thread.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
:)
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:02 pm

This year, I'm on the ground in New Mexico, studying and making paper plans to run for Governor in 2018. Baby steps. Library and online research, meetings with individuals and groups, testing old social skills, and the list goes on.

~
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Edited 1-10-15

~
Carmela my friend is this a rant; or are you just frustrated? Because if it's a rant I would suggest you stop and think about how others might see this. I'm glad you are working towards your goal for the new year and I get the intended sarcasm. Most of us I think try to make the effort that whenever we go on someone else's thread to keep in mind the tone and context. We all get frustrated and carried away sometimes; I know I do and I get passionate about issues and sometimes get absorbed in the moment; but you might want to consider the context where we just left off about this one. That was part of the point I was trying illustrate with what I just shared about my own difficulty with projection. There can be a fine line sometimes between carefully considered and directed passion and a rant. That is one of the great attributes these forums have to offer is that we can really get to the heart of an issue when we are aware, thoughtful, and focused. ( We all have a tendency to do this and being " mindful " is the challenge. ) Passion has it's place I agree; and I certainly admit I'm guilty of this too sometimes; but this might need a second look. :?

( Just so you know after a considering this subject on another discussion you and I were having on the Mythology and Religion thread I just caught myself drifting towards this same behavior and added an extra footnote illustrating the issue. It's a difficult taskmaster to grapple with sometimes. ) :roll:
Last edited by JamesN. on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah, it was kinda ranty. I took some down.

:wink:
Last edited by CarmelaBear on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.