On Consideration of the New Year

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:11 am

Andreas,
no worries about approval - just a conversation and maybe we can both gain something like better understanding
Beautifully stated ! One of the best ways I have ever heard it put.

Most of what you are talking about I don't really think we are that far apart. Actually pretty close in a general sense with a few minor perception adjustment additions. But in the larger topic as Campbell stated: " We are riding on a mystery that transcends all catagories of thought "; and my understanding of that would be - raising the cousciousness level to a realization of that concept and openning out to the experience of that; while still keeping your sense of balance integrating the joyful participation in the " sorrows of the world ". ( Hard balancing act to do ) I also might add to compliment it's application: " He who knows he does not know - Knows; And he who thinks he knows does not know ! ( Which Joe also added as to his interpretation of perception. ) Also in the same quote you referenced: " Life is without meaning; You Bring The Meaning To It! " Question of Semantics ? Maybe. :wink:

As to one additional application point he stated: " The seat of the soul is where the inner and outer worlds meet - That's where you are. " Which I interprept as utilized in the interaction of not only the physical and spiritual planes; but also the interplay with the real world-at- large as well as trying to straighten out one's own life.

Now one could address this to healing the worlds wounds or in a multitude of other fashions in a multitude of other ways; But over all I think we are pretty close on most points. Might be Apples and Oranges. I certainly do not assume you agree with this but: ( just having a good conversation; and a rather nice one for me I might add ). :lol: One of the " True Joys Of Living "; ( Hendrik Wilhem Van Loon - favorite author of mine ) . 8)

Incidently the ( Link ) we discussed is already up there right after the Dialogue; just click it; whenever you want.

Best Regards :D
What do I know? - Michael de Montaigne
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:34 am

True Joys of Living indeed.
Incidently the ( Link ) we discussed is already up there right after the Dialogue; just click it; whenever you want. - J
Link? The only link I see is the imdb link you posted, is this the one? Found the movie by the way and will watch it when I find time, maybe we can discuss it if you are around.

Have a great one James..
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Andreas; You are most kind.

1) Indeed If I may say: " Like The Mocking Bird's Song That Calls To You In The Morning "; True Joy Experienced In Sharing The Rapture Of Life Itself With Others. Doesn't get any better than that! At LeastTo Me ! And in sharing the joys and sufferings of others hearing that song and perhaps discovering what friendship and understanding is all about. Something the world could use more of; no ? :wink:

2) Yes. That's the Web link to bits of the dialogue... But; :arrow:

3) If you have the movie much much better. Spencer Tracy's performance gives you the experience of the Import of the message .! Simply Outstanding ( to me )!
Highest Recommendation !

Best Wishes! Cheers :D
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 am

Hey Folks.

Here we are and another year has passed. I saw this link of the global fireworks already being set off as the world turns the clock towards the planet's start of a new year.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/new-year-s ... slideshow/

I also saw this whimsical treatment of the song we all sing but most do not know the words or what they mean. ( This Ole' World could probably use: " A cup of kindness " or two these days. )

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... ean-again/

At any rate; let us raise our glasses and our thoughts and wish each other well for the coming year; with hopes that all here at JCF; ( both staff and associates ); may have the best of fortunes.

Happy New Year Everyone! :D
Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Happy New Year...

...and Peace to all!
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 am

Came across this today. I always thought Mr. Twain has it about right about this. lol!

"Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink, and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever. We shall also reflect pleasantly upon how we did the same old thing last year about this time. However, go in, community. New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls, and humbug resolutions, and we wish you to enjoy it with a looseness suited to the greatness of the occasion." - `Mafk Twain, Letter to Virginia City Territorial Enterprise, Jan. 1863
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Time to dust off this thread and see if anyone has thoughts they might like to share. There will be " retrospecs " in the media as the years end approaches.

As the chime of the New Year begins I wish for myself the ability to be Open to Change instead of trying to Hold On to my old ways of thinking. To be grateful for the companionship and comeradere' of my Fellow Campellians who have taught me; pushed me; stretched me; and most importantly lead me in my growth of understanding of what it means be a better human being. To you all I wish these same good thoughts with the best of intentions.
And so I wish a hearty good journey to everyone here at the JCF in the coming new year as you look forward to what it will bring.

Cheers! :D
SteveC
Associate

Post by SteveC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Architect: Which brings us at last to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed, and the anomaly revealed as both beginning and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the Source, and the salvation of Zion. The door to your left leads back to the Matrix, to her and to the end of your species. As you adequately put it, the problem is choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we? Already, I can see the chain reaction - the chemical precursors that signal the onset of an emotion, designed specifically to overwhelm logic and reason - an emotion that is already blinding you from the simple and obvious truth. She is going to die, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Architect: Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.
Neo: If I were you, I would hope that we don't meet again.
Architect: We won't.
You can only see the height of a mountain from its valley.

The radical myth towards which the helix aspires is beyond the desire for money or power, yet which has greater returns than all the power and money in the world could not achieve.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:57 am

SteveC wrote: Architect: Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.
This year, I hope at least one of the things I misplaced will be found.

Finding stuff is becoming more of a big deal,

Especially the important little stuff

That contain big memories or help to achieve big things.

~
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:27 am

Happy New Year one and all!

Another dive into the unknown! I hope fate (what you can't control) is kind, but even if it isn't, make your destiny (what you can control) the envy of the gods!

Cheers!
Michael
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:35 am

Happy new year one and all.

\o/ **2014** \o/
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 am

Hey everyone.

I just came across this spectacular collection of " New Years Eve " celebrations from around the world and thought they would be fitting to put here. I hope everybody's holiday was enjoyable and will look forward to sharing our insights together in the coming year.

Cheers. :)

http://gma.yahoo.com/photos/new-year-ce ... slideshow/
Fishy Phil
Associate

Post by Fishy Phil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:38 am

Happy death of the old year and birth of the new everyone! 2013 was prophesised as the end of the world wasn't it? It seems symbolic - there were heaps of end of the world movies and zombies representing our fear that materialism and consumerism has deadened our souls. It feels to me the start of the pendulum swinging back towards people looking for something beyond the visible (maya) to tap into the great invigorating ground of existence again. Religion doesn't do it anymore so I think its myths and arts that will deliver it afresh.
Alexandre Orion
Associate

Post by Alexandre Orion » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

As it were, this is actually why religions don't "do it any more" - they are not current for the times in which we are living in a global society. We indeed do have the outer forms of religions, the doctrines and the authority of 'religious' leaders - yet it is the 'myth' that has been lost from it all.

Religions have given in to the 'temptations' of political domination and social duty.

As J.C. pointed out at the end of the 'Hero's Adventure', the myth of the future (and for that time he said that, we are the future, now) will be the myth of the planet itself ... The adventure is continuing ; we simply need to recognise the myth in our own lives to serve the world-as-self.

After all, when we take the responsibility for all of it, when we each answer the call to adventure, we effectively stop waiting around for someone else to 'take care of it'. Life is something we do, not something that just happens to us ...
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello Alex and Phil; thanks for your thoughts here.

I think you both put your finger on the dilemma much of the planet is dealing with which is the older order of things is not working. As Joseph Campbell mentions we may not have a new replacement for sometime to come but the growing pains are evolving towards something; we just know what that is yet. Clemsy mentioned recently that in the west " Enlightened Individualism " might be one direction of this manifestation. I think you could also say it is becoming more and more apparent through things such as the internet that the global community is beginning to see the interconnectedness of the human race and indeed the planet. The " Gaia " principle for example with Climate Change and Global Warming and the effects on the planets weather are just one example. His metaphor of ( the light bulb as a vehicle of the light it carries ) in terms of consciousness might be a little more difficult to get across. But getting any kind of global concensus on how to address and resolve any of the world's problems may take some doing as far as political or religious self-interest is concerned.

( Indeed a new year though and a hopefully a fresh beginning forward. )

Cheers :)