Sentience

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

romansh
Associate

Post by romansh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 pm

nandu wrote:Ethics is subjective, isn't it, jon? That's the whole problem.

Nandu.
In an absolute way, are ethics and morality non existent?

I agree though, I feel queasy about animal testing but I really do enjoy my lamb chop.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am

y'all are off on a few tangents, but I thought I'd share this -
Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.
~Max Planck
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 am

Good one Al. :D

One caveat is that humanists (by their official "dogma") are atheists. And the Dalai Lama is a "non-atheist" (for lack of a better term :wink: ).
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am

I remember reading this in class in the 8th grade. Always stuck with me. (Catholic school too! Progressive religion teacher...)

"Politics and Religion are obsolete. The time has come for Science and Spirituality." ~Jawaharlal Nehru, (Although it might have been Vinoba Bhave.)

Perhaps a separate discussion on Humanism is warranted?
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 am

Sense of Self

If our interconnected universe is continually expanding, shouldn't our identity do the same? In this short, entertaining video, we look at the dynamics that promote and inhibit our expanding sense of self.

Kenji Williams is an award winning filmmaker, electronic music producer, theatrical show director, and classically trained violinist. Combining unique skills in film and music, Williams has earned international film awards from the CSC to Sundance. He is the composer and producer of 6 music albums, director of 15 films and music videos, 3 feature length projects, and 2 multimedia theatrical live shows. Williams is internationally respected for pushing the boundaries of audio visual art and performance.

Dan Dippery, who kindly donated his great voice talent, is a former senior advertising executive at BBD&O in San Francisco. Some of you may recognize his voice from a famous Chevron commercial from the 1980s that he wrote encouraging energy conservation.

http://www.global-mindshi...SenseSelf/sense_self.swf
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com