When God was a Woman

Do you have a conversation topic that doesn't seem to fit any of the other conversations? Here is where we discuss ANYTHING about Joseph Campbell, comparative mythology, and more!

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

nandu
Associate

When God was a Woman

Post by nandu » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 am

I have started reading this very interesting book, When God was a Woman by Merlin Stone. I was led here by numerous references in From Girl to Goddess, the book I mentioned under the "Sacred Feminine" thread. It explores the worship of the Goddess all over the world, before the male God forcibly dethroned her.

I will keep on posting updates here.

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 am

In chapter 3 now.

Ms. Stone has done an exhaustive review of Middle Eastern, Babylonian, Egyptian and Mediterranean archaeological writings (she has not reviewed any myths yet, other than passing references) to demonstrate what is common knowledge now, but must have been explosive in 1976 when the book was first published: all these areas were most probably ruled by women, and descent was through the female (this is the case among my caste in India even now). Also, the Goddess ruled supreme, with the god as her subordinate lover/ son who was many a time sacrificed yearly. This was changed, and the Goddess subjugated and married off to the God, after the immigration of the Indo-Europeans.

The only exception to the above were the Hebrew peoples, where women were not even considered human beings, let alone goddesses! They were considered rightful property of their husbands: a father could sell his daughter: an unmarried woman if raped had to marry her rapist, while a raped married woman was stoned to death.

:( :cry:

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:31 am

Nandu,

I have been reading about Shaktism, which is Goddess worship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaktism

I find it interesting that followers of Shakti believe that the physical universe is the Goddess and the transcendent world is her masculine husband. The physical universe is seen as the mother goddess which is divided into two, Durga and Kali, to represent what Campbell called the field of opposites.

It seems to me that this metaphysics is psychologically powerful in that it pits one's love for their mother against the horrors of the world. In spite of all the ignorance and terror one can use the powerful love of the mother to open their hearts to the mess.

After thinking about the image of the embodied goddess and the transcendent god I came up with this little ditty.

My inner world is my father. I shall be still and listen to my father. My outer world is my mother. I shall love, honor, and entertain my mother.