cosmological function of myth

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

TangoUniform
Associate

Post by TangoUniform » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

can someone explain this to me?

or point me in the right direction?

Poncho
Associate

Post by Poncho » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hi TangoUniform,

A warm welcome to the forums.

According to Joseph Campbell, it's one of the four functions of myth: mystical, cosmological, sociological and pedagogical.

I could tell you more, but it's probably best if you were to mosey on down to your local book store and order a copy of "The Power of Myth". In the large format version, with photos, it's on page 31; in the small format version, without photos, it's on pages 38-39.

Alternatively, you can order the book on-line from amazon.

Good luck.

ivor orr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ivor orr on 2004-05-26 14:51 ]</font>
TangoUniform
Associate

Post by TangoUniform » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Thanks! I'm on it! *smile*
Raphael
Associate

Post by Raphael » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Tango I have come to the conclusion that what defines myth depends on two things.

Man vs. Nature.

Because we are as human beings created equal, what defines how myth is structured is our relationship to the transcedent and to our environment, our Mother Nature which is very diverse.

With the result that at the core of myth we find similar stories defined by local wildlife and plantlife, physical geography and weather patterns.

Detectable patterns emerge.

"According to Joseph Campbell, it's one of the four functions of myth: mystical, cosmological, sociological and pedagogical".

Would you like me to explain how even Joseph Campbell fell into the pattern exposed by the number four?

Namaste

Raphael

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raphael on 2006-05-06 16:44 ]</font>
Waka
Associate

Post by Waka » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I really dont know how this relates to mythology but it might seems insightful experience.
http://www.solarvoyager.com/gmartin.asp
The artwork is really spectacular. It put at awe with the beauty of our universe.
Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.- Buddha<br>Let yourself be free. :-)
Raphael
Associate

Post by Raphael » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

This came up in another conversation, another thread here.

Myths cosmological function could be to mesh the subjective (microcosm) with the objective (macrocosm).

The inner universe with the outer universe.
Know thyself.

namaste

Raphael
ENERGY = GOD ... Share Him is the Message...<br>God can be neither created nor destroyed; he can only be transformed into other forms of God. However there is a penalty for committing sin, for transforming God and it is called Entropy.