The simple dictionary

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

The Gurgling One
Associate

Post by The Gurgling One » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I believe that a lot of what is the trick to "finding/following your bliss" is in knowing what it is. I don't mean a rigid definition, but the outermost, stripped down, basis which is the description of the bliss of everyone who has found it (you know, minus the particularities, something like you'd see in a geometry deifnition/proof dealing with A's, B's, and C's, meaning any number could go into their places). I just wanted to start this thread to see if it could and would be done. That is, I would be much gratified to see responses, posts, poeple come in here and write one or two or three or four on whatever they believe (or don't believe) they understand. I think, to a alot of strugglers in understanding concepts usual to Campbell's life, this could be of great help....in clarification, in learning what we all percieve as what Campbell ment, in learing opinion from definition, or in the mixture of both.

You don't have to be wordy, in fact I discourage it. Be concise, be simple, because these are, after all (to me at least) simple ideas. I suppose they aren't, I suppose they are :/.... ayway. Wouldn't you believe this effort to be of simple and great help to those new or struggling to understand these ideas? "These" meaning anything you've heard about while here at jcf.org, or otherwise anything. You can post as many as you believe possible within your comprehension, you may espouse edits for previously posted definitions, and you may repeat ones already stated, but, please, only if your take on something differs in this case.

If this is too naive, too impossible to be done, fine, let me know, but I think these concepts so usually unexplained can be put into simple compact thought. I read a post a while ago, which kind of first got this topic churning in my head, about "illusions." Yet, throughout that thread, I may have missed it, there seemed to be no clear-cut, majority-agreed explanation of what "illusion(s)" could be. Perhaps this is wrong, but I am not trying to get us to think in one way and come to agreement on a short lexicon of thinking about these mysterious ideas. I just want to see if people will come forth and contribute a little bit of themselves by at least, humanistically, trying to say "I think I know what is working about around me," or, "I'm willing to explore it to know." Isn't that a kind of naive propelling thought in humanity? That "we all could always do better," and that "that change-for-better may come around with a little understanding"...? This post is in the name of understanding, which I think is the opposite of the cause for all things negative (misunderstanding...?). w/e, and I'm not trying to eliminate "misunderstanding".

So, I suppose I shoud get the proposturous ball rolling by submitting the first definition(s). I believe this forum is the best one suited for this topic of disourse....if it isn't, I guess it will be moved. Oh well, here goes everything/nothing-

God- (1)the man made explanation for all things unexplanable, and anything.
-I think science will never end, and therefore is only an explanation for "how" our enviroment works. Some say it is the "why," but I believe once that is found out, it, science, will be finished and therefore cease to exist.
(2)That final step in the proof of the universe and everything is this, "God," and can also be considered the "why." (man this feels funny. I kind of broke the "concise, please" clause....;/!)

Well, I tried, maybe I'll post another and clear it up. Maybe this is ludicris, maybe... I'm sorry if I've offended anyone.
Siddha
Associate

Post by Siddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

hey gurg,

A very interesting question/idea which is further explored in over 300 entried in the "follow your bliss" forum.

I'm rereading a wonderful Taoist book called "The Tao Speaks"... and in it they say that as soon as we try to find the Tao or definite it is lost.

I think at best we can talk about what bliss is for each one of us, how we have tried to put it to use and what obstacles we have encountered along the way.

For me key is to first recognize it when it comes into our life, then try to surrender to it and follow it despite of all the fears and ego-resistances that well up inside.
The Gurgling One
Associate

Post by The Gurgling One » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I just thought stupidly to try to figure out "it"....
chittavritti
Associate

Post by chittavritti » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Trying to figure things out is one of teh mixed blessings of being human. Mixed because sometimeds the answer is not the one we wanted--yet llearning takes place either way. If a question is never asked an answer will never be found, without a seeking for some undefinable something how will a hero be discovered? I saw a quote recently outside a Unitarian church "Unanswered questions aren't as dangerous as unquestioned answers" if we blithely presume everyone "knows" what we're talking about and what we mean without bothering to state our peculiar definitions for the converstaional context all sorts of mayhem can result.
Siddha
Associate

Post by Siddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

chittavritti,

I like your quote!

Gurglingone,

It is not stupid at all. It is a "heroic quest" to try to define what "it" is for you. My suggestion is just that before you jump on a horse and ride all over Camelot, or take a plane to Nepal that you look within. But how do we find something within that that is formless? My suggestion is let it find you. Follow your curiosity and intuition and you can't but trip over it over and over again!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragen on 2004-08-28 23:17 ]</font>