Joseph Campbell and Feminism

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Painted Owl
Associate

Post by Painted Owl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Scarlett,you sound like you have some fine sensibilites,and yes on an idividual level,I think we can if fortunate return to that garden.I am afraid however I believe society is somewhat less than the sum of it parts,or as Campbell put it,it is a mess,a wasteland.If we are fortunate we might find the people and place to realize something special.Personally I believe it is the people in ones life that can make it truely something fine or depending again on the people in your life,something of a lesser degree.
"Those whom know the most must mourn the deepest orr the fatal truth, the tree of knowledge is not that of life." Goethe
Siddha
Associate

Post by Siddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Interesting thread,

I just wanted to add that one does not have to agree with "everything" Campbell wrote or said. I disagree with a couple of his statements and ideas.

As a matter of fact what I like about people like Jung and Gandhi is that in their writings they say something like "this is the best conclusion I have been able to come to, but I am sure more insightful ones will be developed." I'm sure Campbell cheers on any attempt to evolve his and related ideas.

Otherwise I just want to say that I really enjoyed the comments written so far and will refrain myself from repeating what has been already said.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

During one of the episodes with Bill Moyer, in which JC was discussing the female influence in human life, he mentioned of older cultures in which woman carried lot more significance. I rememember him mentioning that influence of Judaism destroyed this female significance or made man superior than woman. Watching him during this episode I thought JC felt that we had lost something.
In older civilizations woman played central role, e.g. in Asia and some part of India, matriarch societies existed. In modern days they have turned more in to patriarch societies. I wonder if this is due to westernization of those parts of the world. In India even to-day goddess worshiping is prevalent. Shakti- a female goddess – a female persona of energy was familiar to JC.
For those who are “macho man” type, it may be important to remember that no matter what they do in their life it all depends or due to their mothers. At human conception woman is the only one contributing to the mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondria which are subcellular components are the power-house for the energy (ATP) production and all human functions are energy dependent.
Siddha
Associate

Post by Siddha » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I think eastern societies celebrate both the masculine and feminine spirit. As a male I wouldn’t be here without my mother’s care and sacrifice, however, I, my brother and sisters would also not be here if our father hadn’t been involved :wink:

I think arguing that life depends on woman vs man is pointless. It takes two to tango! Maybe science will do away with this sometime in the future, but then again why go and spoil all the fun?