He Wonders

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

On 2006-06-10 00:18, ShantiSong wrote:

"Billeen mentioned ignorant bear baiters who visit and sometimes move to Alaska. I just wondered how safe camping is in Limpopo with so many animals. Are nature lovers ever attacked?"

ShantiSong, there are no reported incidents where people have been attacked. And if there are, it is quite rare.

And camp sites are normally in safe areas. HoweverI stayed nearby a river at the Limpopo campsite, which is home to a number of crocodiles. So we were told not to go in the river, or too near the banks of the river as some of them bask in the sun there. But the campsite has experienced no fatal incidents.

Not a lot of animals roam around the areas where there are human settlements or suburbs. I suppose the animals have established their own territory and have realised that humans have also established their territory.
Kind of an understanding between the two.

But I must say, the Limpopo province is one of the most beautiful provinces in South Africa, alongside the Eastern and Western Capes of course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shamin on 2006-06-12 03:13 ]</font>
Billeen
Associate

Post by Billeen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Shanti was asking if Alaska is the friendliest place on Earth. Anchorage, not so much, but the rest of the state... More or less. I've never been afraid to be out alone after dark, even in Anchorage. We have more than our share of predators, of course, but they usually have four legs, rather than two, and are, therefore, far more reasonable about who they have for dinner.

We even have Good Samaritan laws requiring us to help anyone we PERCIEVE to need it. My cousin, an insurance adjuster, says that we live in a "litigious" society (which is why she believes so much in her Evil Empire job), but we are the only state that a person can't be sued for trying and failing to help. As long as we try. We are even REQUIRED to pick up hitch-hikers if the temperature is below freezing.

My town only has a population of 2500 and we are spread out across an area the size of Delaware. I absolutely detest cities (I've lived for a time in Seattle, St. Louis, and Annapolis and visited many others). But I have a cousin that lives in Reno and she seems to like it just fine. She misses home, but... And speaking of cousins, I have another who lives in Tulsa, Susan, and she HATES it!

I've just discovered that State easement ends right at the edge of the Montanans property line, so our State Troopers can't do anything about it. We could, like you were saying, get a lawyer to write a letter, but, like our local "Officer Friendly" told me, we're probably going to be better off not trying to "out money" them. They'd definitely win. And, as everyone has probably seen in the news, Alaska is suffering from a serious lack of moral fiber among our law makers (King Frank Murkowski defied TWO COURT ORDERS to release info about this deal he's cooking with the Canadians over a gas pipeline, the jerk!). So, I'm just going to smile big, play cute, and blather on about my 75-year-old grandmother needing to get her truck down there. Hopefully they will provide gate access to us and the other dozen people along the bluff.

If not, there's always good old-fashioned, grassroots SHAME. A nasty, well-written letter signed by everyone who lives along this bluff and published in every newspaper from Homer to Anchorage ought to grab there attention. In pioneer days they called that a "Blue Ticket." It was a one-way ferry ticket back to Seattle for anyone the community didn't like or couldn't deal with.

Susan, I liked what you said about "half-way to China and as far up as I can shoot." There is a streak a mile wide in me that says that I ought to burn that fence and drag those bastards down the beach behind my four-wheeler shouting something appropriately cowgirl/redneck-ish. (Can I get a "Hell, yeah!"). However, they, I'm sure, feel the same way, and if everyone felt that way, none of us would be able to share anything. DANG IT! So, we have to remained "civilized." Take and keep to the high moral ground. And lead by example. DANG IT, again!

Maybe Jesus is a redneck trying to find a place to mud-bog or run his dirtbike. Maybe He is a trapper trying to snowmachine down his trap lines. Maybe He is a aireal wolf... NO... DEFINITELY not. Nevermind. I like the tree idea, though. Reminds me of a grown-up version of Fern Gully. Good stuff. Good myth.
creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Well, now, Tulsa has it's good points. It used to when I lived there and everybody had oil money, anyway.

She should try the hinterlands.....make her appreciate a good traffic jam....with something beside sleepy sheep.

Susan
creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

And check with the Indians! They might have something to say about the shoreline. I really liked what they wrote about their general stewardship philosophy when I did some research about pipelines, etc. If they have any rights, they are most inclined to pursue and protect them and their rights supercede State rights, in this area anyway.

Susan
Billeen
Associate

Post by Billeen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Good point. I think that our Natives have subsitance rights to set-net for salmon along that shore. Would be a shame if they couldn't pull their nets because of some nasty land-owners. Hmmm...