Campbell: Psychological vs. Metaphysical

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

On 2003-07-17 02:05, Martin wrote:
Welcome Nautis!

I can not read in this thread without a little bit nostalgia! Nice to continue the discussion every now and then.
On 2003-07-14 16:51, nautis wrote:
campbell called into play schopenhauer's metaphysics by recounting the german philosopher's premise that the "other" was a part of ourselves ... and further that all things are connected.
Schopenhauer's view, which is coinciding to a large extent with that of the Upanishads, is a metaphysical assumption which is popping up again and again in the works and comments of the late Campbell. It seems to have been that metaphysical insight which Campbell was exceedingly fond of.
they did not spend alot of time trying to substantiate their metaphysical assumptions.
That is true for Campbell at least. It seems that he did not spend much time to substantiate the assumption of metaphysical identity of all phenomena.

Schopenhauer once was joking about German philosophers. He said that outside of Germany there is no philosopher who would ever contemplate the meaning of the word is or to be. (Bill Clinton is an exception, I suppose.) Probably Campbell's metaphysical assumption can be specified by enlightening the term to be. The deeper meaning of Campbell's postulation of an undifferentiated consciousness or his idea (inspired by the Upanishads) that "in deep sleep consciousness is still there, but consciousness of no specific thing" is, that there is pure being beyond the phenomenal world. Consciousness of no specific thing could also be translated into being of no specific thing. (I'm not sure, but maybe that's what AL was talking about, when he said that god is a verb.) Campbell did not talk much about those metaphysical concepts, he prefered to use metaphors instead of abtract philosophical terms. he was inspired by metaphors. Just a matter of taste; the meaning is almost the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2003-07-17 02:33 ]</font>
ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Martin,
Did I say that?..."God is a verb" :lol:

My life has been sooo.... full of irony! Where did I write that?

Your protestant friend,
AL
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

At least I thought you did. Since months I am brooding about the meaning. :eek:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2003-07-18 13:17 ]</font>
ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Since months I have been considering verb/noun as a ratio...in an , as yet, undecipherable and abstract mean (mathematical), or having something to do with, an artistic gesture...does that help in translation?

It is difficult to explain what it feels like to be dizzy, or disoriented...the best writers use their skills to comfort and mystify.

If I were to write a piece in Deutch, it would begin with a feeling of disoriented (noun = mind...that doesn't seem right for some reason...a verb is in motion and so is a mind, in other words)

There is a very difficult, and subtle, shift to be made. It is in the definition of mind, and how it is perceived in social, cosmological, pedagogical and mystical terms (NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER :grin:), or situations.

I think the language of the soul, the language of lovers, is in ratios. A verb is the action (love, or the reflection of the lovers' light), a nooun is the light itself.

Clemsy, where have you been lately?

peace,
AL