Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I wonder if anyone has read Robert M. Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". It's a riveting read.
Why I've posted it up under the Call to Adventure forum is because he travels through the US on his motorcycle and travels through his mind (the most intriguing journey in the book) and presents an adventurous tale of breaking through the mould.
I'm currently on chapter 11, where he discusses the our world as figments of our imagination. He also talks about it being an illusion, a notion that is quite prominent in Hinduism.
He talks about science and art, theory and aesthetics, and empiricism from Scottish philosopher David Hume's angle and Immanuel Kant's perspective.
It was written in the 70s but is quite relevant today, as philosophy in this form never seems to die.
The author, Pirsig, studied chemistry, philosophy and journalism. He attended university in Minnesota and Benares Hindu University in India. He's quite something.