What got you into mythology?

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

JackNapier71
Associate

Post by JackNapier71 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:03 am

I was introduced to Joseph Campbell in 1988 as a Junior in High School. My English teacher at the time was a former student of Campbell's, and I had taken up "The Power of Myth" as an independant studies assignment .

I will say it was hard to absorb the true meaning of the message at the age of 16, but I have to say that at the time I was quite mesmerized as if a message was in fact being relayed to my subconscious.

I had watched the Power of Myth a second time.some 2 or 3 months ago, and was at this time fortunate enough to absorb the parallels of mythologies to our modern lives.

Personally I have always been a fan of contemporary American Mythology, and had seen Phil Cousineau on a Blu-Ray extras segment from Justice League- The New Frontier. I had researched Cousineau and was stoked to find that he was at one point a student of Campbell's for about 9 years!!!

Being a Documentary Editor, I have been searching a larger depth of understanding, the fortitude to proceed with my writing and creativity without it being swallowed by the outside entities or social views which give one a great excuse to plaster as obstacles.
SWSRCHR
Associate

Post by SWSRCHR » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi David,

I'm not sure if I have been brought to JCF or vice-versa, I mean, once I started searching for a higher understanding of our relationship to this existence things started coming up from different sources.

In fact I believe I'm just beginning my journey.

I've been reading a couple of things about religion, budhism, christianism, spiritualism, gnosis and so on during the last two years but I still feel like I have a long way to go once things still don't match (sometimes they do :wink: )

I'm not sure if I'll find THE answers here but I hope at least I can learn which are the right questions that may keep me in the track of the light.
Rev Nancy Ash
Associate

You are all so wise.

Post by Rev Nancy Ash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Dear friends of the sacred circle,

Wow! I feel as though I have landed gently into
a magnanimous flowerbed of beauty--every shape,
color and fragrance imaginable.

You are all so wise.

What a delight to share in these forums. Joe is
smiling on us! When he made his transition computers
were just beginning...he was learning to work with one.

Here we are...in global view: The delicious chatter.
He guides us still!

Best with Blessings
Nancy
www.doinga360.com
Doing a 360: Turning Your Life Around Completely to Follow Soul's Purpose <br>Being is the sacred ground for the "doing."
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:16 am

Rev. Nancy Hi!

This is an amazing forum.

Thank you for stopping in
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com
Coralskipper
Associate

Post by Coralskipper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:20 pm

When I was younger my grandparents had a picture book that told all the basic Greek Myths with beautiful illustrations to go along with them. I ended up "commendeering" the book, and reading through it about 20 or so times. The stories in there of heroes larger than life, and such love and tragedy enthralled me. While I didn't really activly seek out other books on myths, I was hooked.
lone_wolf
Associate

Post by lone_wolf » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 pm

I got into Eastern philosophy in my early teens, focusing mainly on Taoism and Buddhism. The tide really began to turn toward mythology when I read Richard Bach's Illusions, and Redfields's The Celestine Prophecy. That lead to an exploration of many ways of thought. My martial arts teacher gave me a library copy of The Hero's Journey, and said "This guy was really living it." I read that, and it tied a lot together, so I got Hero with a Thousand Faces. I never looked back.

LW
Scribe
Associate

Post by Scribe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Greetings Everyone!

My path to Mythology in general and Joseph Campbell in particular is twisted and winding; sort of like my life (which isn't a bad thing at all!)

I grew up in a secular household where the expression of religion was left up to the individual. I attended a non-denominational church with my babysitter for a few years (10 - 12 years old). Later, when I was about 14, I joined a local Baptist church for a couple years. I had so many questions and no one seemed to be able to answer them to my satisfaction.

All this time I was reading. Voraciously. I gobbled up everything I could get my hands on. I read fairy tales and all the "classics" for young readers (the Little House series, Black Beauty, The Black Stallion, 20,000 Leagues, Treasure Island, etc.).

Then, when I was about 11 or 12, my sister gifted me with a complete Chornicles of Narnia set. I became hooked on fantasy and science fiction, seeing within it every possibility, every dream I ever had. The fact that the majority of my reading had strong female characters central to the story leads down another path of self-discovery; Heroine Mythology. But I digress. Sort of... :)

Once in college I took a Myth & Literature class and JC's work was referenced. I watched his Power of Myth series on PBS. I began to explore a spiritual path that led me towards Paganism and the quest for my own personal myth began.

Now I sit, a few years shy of 40, still searching, still seeking questions needing answers. I turn to mythology and the works of Campbell to further my knowledge and experience in this fascinating, complex and often freaky world we live in.

Pax,

Kelly
&quot;A word after a word after a word is power.&quot;<br>~ Margaret Atwood
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Welcome Kelly!

Great first post and I particularly like this:
I became hooked on fantasy and science fiction, seeing within it every possibility, every dream I ever had.
That's very well said. What makes SF/Fantasy such great genres is that they do, indeed, incorporate every possibility.

Sometimes I feel that everything I know I learned from the tales filling my bookshelves.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Scribe
Associate

Post by Scribe » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Sometimes I feel that everything I know I learned from the tales filling my bookshelves.
Oh brother, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! :)

Thank you for the nice welcome!

Bless,
Kelly
&quot;A word after a word after a word is power.&quot;<br>~ Margaret Atwood
Sir Gawain
Associate

Re: What got you into mythology?

Post by Sir Gawain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:12 pm

David_20 wrote:I hope my post aren't getting annoying, but I wanted to know what got you into Joseph Campbell's works and mythology in general?.

For myself, I've always liked reading different mythologies - whether it's Hindu, Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian, Christian, etc. For myself, I love the messages they can convey, the tales of magic, gods, demons, etc.

What about you?.
I am just now becoming acquainted with Joseph Campbell. As a pursuant of the Warrior's Path I am always looking, searching and seeking. Myths teach morals and sadly morals are what are missing most in our modern world. I am looking forward to learning and listening.
Arthurus Quondam Rexque Futurus<br>Sir Gawain de Orkney, K.R.T.
nimbledancer
Associate

Post by nimbledancer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi there!

I'm new to all of this, but this looked like such good question to get my feet wet. I was introduced into the realm of mythology from PBS. I happened to turn on my TV, and Bi!ll Moyers started talking to Joseph Campbell. At that time, I had no idea what I'd stumbled into, but I shoved a tape into my VCR and hit the record button.

Up until that time, I'd never even heard of Joseph Campbell. But for all of that, I couldn't pull myself away from the TV set. What made my "discovery" even more significant was the fact that it was being broadcast in Japan! There I was, looking for anything in English to take my mind away from the Japanese language, and WOW!! I got sucked into yet another new world.

It was on for the whole week, and I recorded it all. After it was all over, I couldn't help telling my other friends about my new-found treasure. One friend in particular was psyched about my new video collection, and asked if he could borrow it. I let him take it. At that time, he was living with a Japanese amily, and, after he'd finished it, he asked if he could show it to his Japanese "mother." By that time, I wanted my treasures back, but I let him do it. To my utter surprise and astonishment, he told me he'd given it to her! I was floored!

Later, I happened to find the book in one of the bookstores here, and snatched it up. For some reason, though, the book seemed to be more intimidating than the video, and I couldn't bring myself to read it until last year. Now I'm reading it for a second time.

I'm still a rookie, but I'm absolutely hooked by his ideas.

I hope I can share them with all of you.
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Re: What got you into mythology?

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:39 pm

David_20 wrote:I hope my post aren't getting annoying, but I wanted to know what got you into Joseph Campbell's works and mythology in general?.

For myself, I've always liked reading different mythologies - whether it's Hindu, Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian, Christian, etc. For myself, I love the messages they can convey, the tales of magic, gods, demons, etc.

What about you?.
No annoyances. All my interests find their root in mythology. Every road kept leading me back to the same place. It is the source of culture, metaphysics, storytelling, literature, language, psychology, sociology, semiotics, and much more.
Jedi Strange
Associate

Arthurian legend

Post by Jedi Strange » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:01 am

Hi

Obviously I would have liked to have said that Star Wars got me into mythology, but it was actually Merlin and Arthurian legend that started the ball rolling. Robin Hood and Star Wars may have contributed somewhat aftwards, as did the legend of the Water Margin and the celestial heros and heroines of Lang Shang Po.

The world is full of mythology and adventure, and it continues today, though it may be tomorrows eyes that see it.

May the Force be with You

Jedi Richard Strange
Do or do not there is no try<br><br>Come see my journal at http://www.thestrange1.co.uk/
chloemarie
Associate

Post by chloemarie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Religion has fascinated me from the beginning. Before I was 3 years old I became absolutely spellbound by Ancient Egypt. Since then the past has always held a certain allure for me. Mythology is something that transcends time, certain archetypal ideas are found all over the world at all places in time it provides a link both to the past and to the future. I must admit though that i came upon the writings of joseph campbell on accident. I heard his name in the special features of a starwars DVD and recognized it as a book belonging to my mother. It was "The Hero of a Thousand Faces" since then i've read a great deal of his writings and i've enjoyed every one. :D
wierdfishee
Associate

Post by wierdfishee » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 pm

This is my first post in here, and my first visit to this website. I guess everything in my life led me to mythology and Joseph Campbell's work, although I came to it quite late in my life. I have a B.A. in cultural anthropology with a focus on India. I also took several courses in Religious Studies (Hinduism, Islam, Jainism). When I was working on my M.A. degree in anthropology I took a course in Anthropology of the Aging Self. Although we didn't read anything by Joseph Campbell, there was a strong focus on how we humans create a narrative of our lives in order to make sense of things.

Then someone told me I should read Joseph Campbell's The Masks of God, which I've started reading now. I started off by reading The Power of Myth since the Masks of God series seemed a bit overwhelming at the time... I guess I was aware that it was what i needed at the time, since I was going through my own 'journey' (as was the person that told me to read Campbell's books).

That happened in 2005, but back then I wasn't able to read (I just couldn't focus on anything). The only book I read back then was The Hidden Order of Art: A Study in the Psychology of Artistic Imagination by Anton Ehrenzweig, a fascinating book that led me to discover Jung and symbolism. I'd always been fascinated by psychology and symbolism, but had never read much about Jung or symbolism.

Since I couldn't read, what I did instead was interpret Radiohead's music. At first I didn't know I was actually making sense of my own life, but it really did help. Radiohead's lyrics are full of symbolism and their music helped me through the most difficult time in my life.

I've now read my first 'real' Joseph Campbell book (The Hero With A Thousand Faces).

I hope I learn more about mythology in here. Oddly enough I've never watched The Power of Myth on tv.