What got you into mythology?

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm

How did I come to myth?

I got to a place where I felt the world was beautiful and didn't need a God to justify it.

I threw out my previous belief system, as well as any of us is capable, I guess and after a time I drifted into anarchist philosophy and was pretty happy with that for quite a while. Through this experience (which was joyous in its own way) and my further readings I discovered the Tao te Ching. This was quite a long time ago, now. I believe I may have described myself as a quasi-Buddhist for the first time around about 1971.

Taoism/ Buddhism and a touch of admiration for the pantheistic/monotheism found in Hinduism. . . and then somehow, along came Joe. The Hero with a Thousand Faces, I believe. and then Moyer and then Masks of God and . . . well, in the words of Albee in The Zoo Story, "Sometimes you have to go a very long distance out of the way, in order to come back a short distance correctly."

Peace.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Dionysus wrote:How did I come to myth?

. . . well, in the words of Albee in The Zoo Story, "Sometimes you have to go a very long distance out of the way, in order to come back a short distance correctly."

Peace.
Is being on the path enough? Sometimes we need results, and everytime I realize how far I am from "heaven" and how close I am to Texas, I wonder whether I've gone from the frying pan into the fire.

I'm a feminist who looks to a man (Joseph Campbell) to help me work out the problems of being a woman. That's not an exaggeration. I've read a lot of things by monumentally learned women that just don't touch the issues in quite the way Campbell managed to do it. I keep asking myself,

What is wrong with this picture?

~
Once in a while a door opens, and let's in the future. --- Graham Greene
Dionysus
Associate

Post by Dionysus » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 pm

I think being on the path is enough. I think if every one were awake to the path and were making a valid attempt to walk it, that the world would be a better place. I think being on the path is the reward. D.
charliecrose
Associate

Post by charliecrose » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 am

I could almost quote "wags" verbatim except for not having kids of my own. Saw the 8 hrs of Bill Moyers, love STAR WARS, and now on a complete life re-do as I embrace the Christian symbols and myths and look at the world in a completely new way. The mythology we encounter on a day-to-day basis be gins to reveal itself and life itself has taken on a new meaning. Suddenly, I'm a new born intellect and life just got better.

As far as my feelings about God, I believe God has answered a prayer, to use Christian terms, that reveal the true nature of a creator spirit, Anything beyond that doesn't fit into my vocabulary at this time, but who knows what's next.....
-Charlie Rose
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 am

charliecrose wrote:The mythology we encounter on a day-to-day basis be gins to reveal itself and life itself has taken on a new meaning. Suddenly, I'm a new born intellect and life just got better.

.....who knows what's next.....
Welcome to the conversations, Charlie. Happy to hear that life has become better for you. My life was transformed as well, and it's a common experience.

Campbell re-wrote the truth text and made us free to search for our own spiritual center.

:D
Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra » Wed May 05, 2010 6:23 am

charliecrose wrote:
Suddenly, I'm a new born intellect and life just got better.

As far as my feelings about God, I believe God has answered a prayer, to use Christian terms, that reveal the true nature of a creator spirit, Anything beyond that doesn't fit into my vocabulary at this time, but who knows what's next.....
:) Good for you, charliecrose, thanks for sharing this good news with us.
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com
Persephonespring
Associate

Post by Persephonespring » Wed May 05, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm not sure any path is the path. As a person of Tao, I've learned to follow my internal path. Before that, I followed the cultural and religiously written path for a woman of my generation, it got me going, I raised my children, I did my best, and felt hollow and worthless.

Tao, Jung, and Campbell go well together, imo. Each supports my inner knowing and quest. My culture doesn't support that quest. Only the ideas and knowing of many of the world's great thinkers, from the beginning of writing, support my quest. Its all been there all the time, it just didn't look like what I was told it was supposed to look like.

Each of us has to find our own individual way. Our way is not another's way. The path Robert Frost described in "The Road Less Traveled," has been part of my journey. Campbell's work, Jung's work, Moyer's work, all offer clues and suggestions on finding oneself. That is the journey, imo.

J
Might be a drop in a bucket, but, as I like to say, no drops, no ocean. :-) Clemsy
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Each of us has to find our own individual way. Our way is not another's way. The path Robert Frost described in "The Road Less Traveled," has been part of my journey. Campbell's work, Jung's work, Moyer's work, all offer clues and suggestions on finding oneself. That is the journey, imo.
I agree. :D It isn't "the path" it's "a path". And it appears, from my experience, we all seek the same destination which is much different from the prescribed path. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 am

Persephonespring wrote:I'm not sure any path is the path. As a person of Tao, I've learned to follow my internal path.

Each of us has to find our own individual way.J
Your path is the path. That's a path. Good one.

If I let myself become quiet and I find a still point, it's like sliding without any choosing or working. There's no awareness of any difficulty whatever. Time stops. Movement is irrelevant. The path becomes clear and progress happens as if by magic.

Once the quiet time is over and time starts again, there is work, struggle, and pain. They deepen the experience, and the challenges do not seem to knock me off the road. I find that the road was paved and straightened in advance. I just keep going and enjoy the ride. Any complaints I might have are for those whose path has not been paved in advance. For many, there is no quiet and there is no path. Their struggle and pain have no relief. For those with such an experience, I cry out with a profound sense of urgency.

America is my rock, and "whether the pitcher hits the rock or the rock hits the pitcher, it's always bad for the pitcher" (Man of La Mancha?). I feel for those we so needlessly fear. I feel much more for those who fear us. I fear they may have good cause to dread the very idea of America. We don't know our own strength.

~
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 am

Neoplato wrote: It isn't "the path" it's "a path". And it appears, from my experience, we all seek the same destination which is much different from the prescribed path. :wink:
Hi Neo......How's your path these days?...... 8)