Hi all :) Seeking some options

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

this is me
Associate

Hi all :) Seeking some options

Post by this is me » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 am

Howdy!

I am looking for a bit of information/direction I suppose, and this forum seems to have a nice variety of opinions.

I have been reading about mythology from a very early age (my first name is the same as a mythological hero). Through the works of Joseph Campbell and others I have learned to explore a bit inside, and have come to find a sort of peace within myself, and with how I try to relate and work with others. Its my hobby I suppose.

I am just about 36, and want to make a change. II would like to further my pursuits in an academic setting to see how helpful and well I may be able to listen to and help others out there. I am a teacher now, and feel that I do a pretty good job of it, but would like to go into counseling/ teaching in a different field than I am in at present.

What sort of occupations are available to someone who has a fair amount of knowledge of mythology, Campbell, an interest in psychology, and can be a pretty good listener? I have a BS, but am willing to work for a MA or PhD if I can scrounge up the money. I am looking to "follow my bliss" to a feasible profession that I can find to be rewarding on various different levels

I am looking for all opinions on this one. What to study and where, what kinds of occupations are available and such.. I realize that this is a pretty broad request. Please think out of the box on this one, or even imagine that there is no box.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post.

Kindest regards,
Me :)
this is me
Associate

Post by this is me » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 am

ah shucks, 19 views and no replies :D

I suppose I will continue looking around, good luck to all!
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Re: Hi all :) Seeking some options

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:44 pm

this is me wrote:Howdy!

I am looking for a bit of information/direction I suppose, and this forum seems to have a nice variety of opinions.

I have been reading about mythology from a very early age (my first name is the same as a mythological hero). Through the works of Joseph Campbell and others I have learned to explore a bit inside, and have come to find a sort of peace within myself, and with how I try to relate and work with others. Its my hobby I suppose.

I am just about 36, and want to make a change. II would like to further my pursuits in an academic setting to see how helpful and well I may be able to listen to and help others out there. I am a teacher now, and feel that I do a pretty good job of it, but would like to go into counseling/ teaching in a different field than I am in at present.

What sort of occupations are available to someone who has a fair amount of knowledge of mythology, Campbell, an interest in psychology, and can be a pretty good listener? I have a BS, but am willing to work for a MA or PhD if I can scrounge up the money. I am looking to "follow my bliss" to a feasible profession that I can find to be rewarding on various different levels

I am looking for all opinions on this one. What to study and where, what kinds of occupations are available and such.. I realize that this is a pretty broad request. Please think out of the box on this one, or even imagine that there is no box.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post.

Kindest regards,
Me :)
Me is a mythological name? :wink:

You could go into guidance on the premise that you will help young people explore their personal mythology and follow their bliss.
Jedi Strange
Associate

You could be Jedi

Post by Jedi Strange » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 pm

Hello Me

With your present skills you could easily branch out into jediism, that is service in the jedi way,

To me jediism is a way to self knowledge and the bliss that comes with it, but it is also a way to help others, which can also be a pathway to bliss. I'm not here to recruit, however, but to learn, and I wish you success in your search.

May the Force be with You

Jedi Richard Strange
Do or do not there is no try<br><br>Come see my journal at http://www.thestrange1.co.uk/
nimbledancer
Associate

Direction

Post by nimbledancer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 am

Hi Me!

You and I may have something in common. I, too, am a teacher, but I'm looking for a different direction.
This is just off the top of my head, but could you get a position at your local YMCA or someplace similar? Maybe you could make your own unique class that focuses on discussing ways to find bliss and use mythology as a reference point. There are a lot of people out there who have lost touch with the old stories.

Like I say, this is just off the top of my head. I'll see if any more ideas come tumbling out of my head. Best of luck to you and your search.

Best regards,
Nim :D
Ned Kelly
Associate

Post by Ned Kelly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:50 am

What sort of occupations are available to someone who has a fair amount of knowledge of mythology...an interest in psychology, and can be a pretty good listener?
I'm not being sarcastic when I remind you that those qualities describe Jesus the carpenter.
Being a good mythologist, or even a religious genius, is not inconsistent with being a carpenter.
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Re: Hi all :) Seeking some options

Post by bodhibliss » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:01 pm

this is me wrote:What sort of occupations are available to someone who has a fair amount of knowledge of mythology, Campbell, an interest in psychology, and can be a pretty good listener? I have a BS, but am willing to work for a MA or PhD if I can scrounge up the money. I am looking to "follow my bliss" to a feasible profession that I can find to be rewarding on various different levels
Hi Me

Part of the problem with work within the field of mythology is that there really is no field of mythology. In most universities you might find courses on myth under the umbrella of literature on the one hand, mythology on the other, or religious study on the third

(Three hands? Sounds like a mythic creature already).

Pretty much one has to carve out one's own niche.

You might look into the Pacifica Graduate Insitute, near Santa Barbara, CA (which houses the Joseph Campbell Library and Archives). It wouldn't necessarily involve relocating - most of Pacifica's students are older, seeking a second career that speaks more to the soul, but also needing to continue working at their current career to keep body and soul together. The teaching schedule used to center around an intense three day weekend each month, with two weeks on campus sometime during the summer

(their programs have vastly expanded in recent years, so the schedule for various programs has likely changed somewhat).

Pacifica offers the following:
M.A./PH.D IN DEPTH PSYCHOLOGY
PH.D IN DEPTH PSYCHOLOGY WITH A EMPHASIS IN PSYCHOTHERAPY
PH.D IN CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY

M.A. IN COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY
M.A./PH.D IN MYTHOLOGICAL STUDIES
M.A. IN ENGAGED HUMANITIES WITH EMPHASIS IN DEPTH PSYCHOLOGY

The depth psychology programs aim more toward clinical psychology, but you might want to check out those last three programs - might find something that speaks to you there. (I'm not sure if there are other accredited institutions that offer Masters and Doctoral degrees in Mythological Studies).

Bliss On,
bodhibliss
Benyboy
Associate

Post by Benyboy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:57 pm

To do that for mony is hard. No license and a psycho-shaman do not, however wrong, have mainstream approval, and yet can work with people who will listen.

try http://www.imaginal.edu/

Mission
The Institute of Imaginal Studies exists to encourage care of the soul. Imaginal Psychology reclaims soul as psychology’s primary concern. The Institute offers graduate programs in Imaginal Psychology, as well as public programs and activities that support the creation of learning communities. These programs emphasize the role of transformative learning in catalyzing the emergence of core human capacities. The capacities for embodied self-awareness, courage, compassion, collaboration, and conscience are given special emphasis in the Institute’s graduate programs. The Institute seeks to educate psychologically aware leaders with the knowledge, skills, and capacities essential to empower individuals, organizations, and communities.

We inhabit a culture, both locally and globally, that is in dire need of transformation. Psychological practitioners who are deeply sourced in spiritual traditions can make a significant contribution towards catalyzing the transformation of culture. It is essential that our social institutions become more convivial, sustainable, and just. The practitioner educated to respond to the soul’s desires and suffering is in a unique position to address many of our social and cultural issues.

I call this "interdisciplinary" without the "inter" part all put together,
which may be good to keep it "real"

The Institute’s curriculum draws on spiritual traditions, somatic practices, creative arts, mythology, indigenous wisdom, literary and poetic imagination, deep ecology, and mystical philosophy, cultural history, and social critique. Each of these knowledge domains is described further on the webpages noted above.
BenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISSBenyBoyBLISS