post your favorite Campbell quote and what it means for you

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Tom Strong
Associate

post your favorite Campbell quote and what it means for you

Post by Tom Strong » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Joe Campbell has a quote that is quite provocative. He says "life has no meaning you bring meaning to it". Think of a work of art, say a painting, hanging on a museum wall. What meaning does this work have if no one is looking at it? That is, say, during the hours when the museum is closed and the work is just hanging there in the darkness is the image or canvas or paint or texture or frame providing any meaning from itself to its surroundings? Now the museum opens. Someone comes and pauses and observes the painting, now does it have meaning? I think this is what Joe Campbell is saying.
indraant
Associate

Post by indraant » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Great topic.

I find this one just hilarious

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."

but one of my favourite is

"Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths."
Aterin‚Ñ¢
Associate

Post by Aterin‚Ñ¢ » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:12 pm

"Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself."

I've always lived by this quote. It's really the truth, because we are "the puppeteer of the puppet called life".
Samarra
MRT Leader

Favorite JC Quote

Post by Samarra » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:42 am

"For you and me, we must say yes."
- JC recalling his meeting with Shiri Christina Menon
Last edited by Samarra on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Strong
Associate

Post by Tom Strong » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Another quote I like is "along your way you will come to a great chasm, jump! , it's not as wide as it looks".

For me it means don't be afraid to take the risky way. If you always turn back because you percieve the obstacle is to big to overcome you live the life society wishes for you and not what you wish for yourself.
Samarra
MRT Leader

Your Leap of Faith

Post by Samarra » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:06 pm

You go with that leap, Tom "Indy" Strong!

Just remember that next, you have to chose from which chalice you shall drink. Choose wisely, my friend!
Dedance
Associate

Post by Dedance » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. I love the interesting conversations and articles. As a writer, my favorite Joseph Campbell quote comes from Myths to Live By, when he speaks about “instant art” He says artists have not been "quite enough engaged in the agony of solitary creative work to press beyond their first acquisitions or marketable styles and techniques. And the next consequence is "instant art" where some clever individual with as little formal agony as possible simply renders something unforeseen - which is then criticized and either advertised or suppressed by either friendly or unfriendly newspaper folk, who have also had a lot of socializing to attend to and find themselves baffled before anything really complex or significantly new."
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey, Dedance! Another fellow Upstater! Welcome to the forum!

Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Dedance
Associate

Post by Dedance » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 pm

Clemsy wrote:Hey, Dedance! Another fellow Upstater! Welcome to the forum!

Clemsy
Thanks! I think I'm going to learn a lot.
Samarra
MRT Leader

The Fool Without a Mentor

Post by Samarra » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Dedance,

I like your quote. It fits my personal Call to Adventure quite perfectly. Unlike you, I've had no formal training as a writer. Strangely enough, I wrote a screenplay over the past year. The words just poured from my soul to the page; my fingers magically typed as if controlled by someone else!

The end result was so unique, that it got the attention of some film investors and producers. They are actually going to make it into a movie and I’m going to direct!

It reminds me of the story of Harpo Marx (Groucho’s brother), who taught himself to play the harp, and was widely recognized as a master. One day, he decided to take formal lessons from a world-renown harpist. The teacher took one look at Harpo’s instrument and said, “I cannot teach you. This thing is tuned completely wrong!”

I think that type of disregard for convention, finding your way without a mentor, is typical of the Fool archetype. We’re going to do it… do it alone… and even when society calls us crazy, we know that it can and must be done. Of course, there comes a time when the Fool must trust allies to get him across the chasm. If he doesn’t , he will fall off of the precipice and his ending will be tragic. If he does trust his friends, he finds the boon and can bring it back to aid society from its woes.

Thank you for that JC quote which only reinforces that I’m still walking the right path!
Bjorn
Associate

Post by Bjorn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:13 pm

I have so may favorite quotes! But one of the best is probably: "The priviliege of a lifetime is being who you are."
nmcil12
Associate

Post by nmcil12 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Aterin™ wrote:"Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself."

I've always lived by this quote. It's really the truth, because we are "the puppeteer of the puppet called life".
I love this idea and Campbell quote - thanks much for posting it - there is such power and liberation for living our lives.
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:01 pm

There's two that I try to live by :-)
People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we are really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonance within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.
- Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

So through the eyes love attains the heart:
For the eyes are the scouts of the heart,
And the eyes go reconnoitering
For what it would please the heart to possess.
And when they are in full accord
And firm, all three, in one resolve,
At that time perfect love is born
From what the eyes have made welcome to the heart.
Not otherwise can love either be born or have commencement
Than by this birth and commencement moved by inclination.

By the grace and by command
Of these three, and from their pleasure,
Love is born, who with fair hope
Goes comforting her friends.
For as all true lovers
Know, love is perfect kindness,
Which is born - there is no doubt - from the heart and eyes.
The eyes make it blossom; the heart matures it:
Love, which is the fruit of their very seed.

- Guiraut de Borneilh (c. 1138-1200?)

These quotes speak to me on the metaphysical level and on the personal level. And I think that they are related. :-)
Mary Jo
Associate

Post by Mary Jo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:26 pm

"Meaning" is a relational concept. Without that relationship, whether it be between a painting and a viewer, or a tree and the sun, meaning is not applicable.
Leilani in Hawaii
Associate

Post by Leilani in Hawaii » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:57 pm

Aloha! I am new to the site, too. I have been a storyteller my whole life, and am coming to Joseph Campbell rather late...better late than never.

I like what Mary Jo says, that meaning is created by relationship. And if we feel isolated and alone, then it's very difficult to create any meaning at all. I recently thought that the definition of eternity is not knowing how much longer you are going to be alone. And just after I thought that, a friend called, and eternity ended, and I arrived in The Now. :)

And as for "instant art," I think solitude is important, but it is just as important to converse with others. Share maps of the heart to see where there are congruences and dissonances. Where there is harmony, and where there is jazz.
Mary Jo wrote:"Meaning" is a relational concept. Without that relationship, whether it be between a painting and a viewer, or a tree and the sun, meaning is not applicable.