Dreaming of George Lucas

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Samarra
MRT Leader

Dreaming of George Lucas

Post by Samarra » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:13 pm

To all:

I’ve recently had my investors pull out from a feature film that I wrote. Since then, I’ve been having dreams at night about pitching the idea to George Lucas. My subconscious seems to be hard at work trying to find a solution!

Since my screenplay is based on Joe’s Monomyth, specifically the Hero’s Journey, I thought I would put out a call to adventure to the JCF community. If anyone out there has inroads to Hollywood, I would love to tell you about my very unique idea.

Please give me a call if you think you can help “open doors where there were only walls.”

My mobile is (585) 278-8402.

Sincerely,
K. Joseph Samarra
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Do you need a music score? I play keyboards and saxophone, I think jonsjourney said he plays guitar. Do we have a bass player and drummer out there? :)

Unfortunately, I have no roads to Hollywood. Suddenly, I'm thinking about "The Muppet Movie". :)
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Evinnra
Associate

Re: Dreaming of George Lucas

Post by Evinnra » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 pm

Please give me a call if you think you can help “open doors where there were only walls.”
Disqualified from calling you – by not knowing Hollywood’s inroads – but wishing you all the best.

May the force be with you. :)
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com
Samarra
MRT Leader

Everyone In!

Post by Samarra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:00 am

No one is disqualified, Evinnra. Feel free to call me anytime… I love to talk. Just ask Neoplato. He called me out of the blue once and we talked for an hour! I really love the JCF; It's like an extended family.
:D
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:12 am

I dialed the number in curiousity and was surprised when someone answered. I didn't know what to say. Now that takes a lot of faith to post your number to a website. But then again, this is the JCF. We've usually been through the "trials", so a phone call may be as easy as dialing a long lost friend. :)
Evinnra
Associate

Re: Everyone In!

Post by Evinnra » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 am

Samarra wrote:No one is disqualified, Evinnra. Feel free to call me anytime… I love to talk. Just ask Neoplato. He called me out of the blue once and we talked for an hour! I really love the JCF; It's like an extended family.
:D
Thank you so much for extending your friendship so kindly. :D
Maybe one day I’ll call you – perhaps when my heavy Hungarian accent diminished and I can consider my self less of a hassle to listen to.
:roll: :oops:
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com
lancimouspitt
Associate

Post by lancimouspitt » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Neoplato wrote:Do you need a music score? I play keyboards and saxophone, I think jonsjourney said he plays guitar. Do we have a bass player and drummer out there? :)

Unfortunately, I have no roads to Hollywood. Suddenly, I'm thinking about "The Muppet Movie". :)
Bass player right here!
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Great! And your located in Ohio with JJ. Now all we need is a drummer and we can start "The Joseph Campbell Project". :wink:
Kriz24
Associate

Post by Kriz24 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Have you tried contacting people via film festivals? I'm not sure if that's the right route to take but it could be I suppose.
lancimouspitt
Associate

Post by lancimouspitt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:09 am

Neoplato wrote:Great! And your located in Ohio with JJ. Now all we need is a drummer and we can start "The Joseph Campbell Project". :wink:

That would be a great music project! :D
jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 pm

My primary instrument over the years has been bass guitar, but I play six string too as well as noodling around on Keyboards...

Another possible name: gods Mask. Sound to egotistical? :wink:
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams
proudfoo
Associate

Post by proudfoo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:04 am

Hi there,

I'm a film student at the University of Southern California -

Would be greatly interested in reading your idea and helping in any way I can.

I am a student of Campbell's and of Lucas' and know where you are coming from.

Hopefully I can offer some kind of help. You can email me at [email protected].

All my best,

Ben
Overmanwarrior
Associate

Re: Dreaming of George Lucas

Post by Overmanwarrior » Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 am

Hi, Samarra,

I can understand the frustration of investors pulling out of a film project, been there myself more than a few times. But, and I’ve been involved in this situation more than once, people in Hollywood most likely won’t understand your idea. So inroads to Hollywood probably won’t lead you where you want to go. They’re great for distribution options, but not in creating anything unique, which your project sounds like it aims for.

If you can find a film maker who has passion, and some new investors, and get your film in the big film festivals as a result, as a completed project, you’ll do far better to have a blissful success.

George Lucas could have never made Star Wars in the studio system. He is an independent film company. If Hollywood got it, or could study it in a film school, there would have been hundreds of Star Wars films by now, but there are only meager attempts to copy.

But Star Wars is a very authentic idea. George Lucas toughed it out following the path where there wasn’t a path, and brought us all magic that still endures today.

I worked as a stunt consultant on a 3D project for Real D 3D recently, and I have to admit that it was fun to work on a set, and see agents, and producers working diligently off to the side with cell phones to their ears making power deals from their very expensive cars. And I watched the actors argue about who got the best trailer on the set. I listened to make-up artists complain about the actors after they were finished with them. During the lunch break I sat with the writers and when they didn’t have anything to say I sat with the director, who was frustrated at how the studio was holding his hands behind his back, which seemed to happen a lot. I ran all over Los Angeles with the producer, and I admired their reasons for getting into the film business, but was willing to settle into really just an errand runner for the studios, and extremely underappreciated on the set by everyone, mostly the actors.

It was clear to me that nobody on that project was going to be making the next Star Wars, far from it. What they’ll get is a film that may make 150 million at the box office and a reasonable DVD market where everyone makes a few bucks. But they certainly won’t change the lives of anybody, and nobody 25, 50, or a 100 years from now will remember a thing done on that set.

Economic necessity dictates that we do things in the wasteland, but that doesn’t mean your heart has to follow. And a project like a film that you write, you owe it to the project to see that it is as authentic as possible.

Just a thought, 8)