Worthy Successor? / Kindle electronic text

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Pococurante
Associate

Worthy Successor? / Kindle electronic text

Post by Pococurante » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Who today is writing work on par with the Masks of God series? I'd like to see the current thought on the topics he broached a half century ago.

Also, please arrange to have his works transcribed to the Kindle as well as other mainstream e-Readers. Already my eight year old's school is moving to electronic text. And as much as I like re-reading the four volumes of Masks I'd prefer to not have to lug around the dead trees... ;-)
noman
Associate

Post by noman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Hello Pococurante, and welcome to the forums.

You ask a good question. Some of Campbell’s work is getting old. We’d like to get the current information. There are plenty of popular generalists.

Here is a good one on Science:

A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson, 2003

Here is one on spirituality and consciousness and putting it all together:

A Brief History of Everything, Ken Wilber, 2000

This might be the best overall view of the study of mythology:

Mythography, William G. Doty, 2000

There are plenty of generalists within any one discipline. But there is only one Joseph Campbell. He took ideas from, Frobenius and Boas in anthropology, Joyce and Mann in literature, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche in philosophy, Freud and Jung in psychology, Jeffers and Eliot in poetry, and mixed them all up in his own way with theories of religion, aesthetics, psychology, anthropology, spirituality, and mythology. His profile as a scholar is too general and too unique for there to be any one author carrying on his work. But you can find scores of outstanding books within any one discipline.

- NoMan
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Kindle is an excellent idea - but at the moment the quality of images on that device as well as the other electronic readers on the market is not up to Joseph Campbell's standards, along with other problems of this and other electronic readers.

A release of Masks of God on Kindle sounds appealing, but right now would require a great deal of editing of the text that is far too expensive an undertaking for us at the moment (especially just for Kindle - that would have to be coupled with a general release of the printed volumes, and again is too expensive at the moment in the absence of advances from a publisher to cover those costs).

On the bright side, we're expecting e-reader technology to catch up to our needs in the not-too-distant future.

Namaste,
bodhibliss
lancimouspitt
Associate

Post by lancimouspitt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 pm

I've debated about getting a kindle or like product.
Though I don't ever think i'll prefer it to an actual book.
It would certainly make reading on the go easier and their would be less weight involved,but I think some books are best kept in book form.

I couldn't imagine looking through an "E" version of something like Jungs Red Book.
But hey,to each his own. :wink:
Sam Wright
Associate

Post by Sam Wright » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:44 pm

One major problem with making a book for e readers right now is that it would only be available on that one e reader the others wouldn't be able to use it therefor i would hold off on this until either all e readers are able to translate and use all formats or one e reader takes complete control of the market place. On a personal note i don't really get the e readers i don't see any real advantage to them and i certainly don't see an advantage that would justify how much they cost it seems to me to be more of a this is new so it has to be better idea then an actual improvement.
Almost any man can withstand adversity if you really want to test a mans metal then give him power.
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Sam, you make perfect sense.

Having Campbell's books available on Kindle would definitely increase royalty revenue, but the release would be exclusive to that e-reader.

I do suspect in the next few years there will be improvement in the technology, and some sort of multi-platform approach (so we aren't left having to guess if Beta or VCR, for example, will have the competitive edge), but eventually we will no doubt have to make Joe's work available in some sort of electronic format. The advantage from JCF's perspective is there would be essentially no cost for printing and distribution (much like the shift to iTunes & Amazon audio downloads vs. pressing & distributiing physical CDs to retail establishments).

Oh, the times, they are a'changing ...
jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm

In addition, there are some among the masses (myself included) who still enjoy the tactile sensations of reading a book. This emotional limitation will eventually be replaced by technology and I am no fan of static ideas, but like so many changes that occur, sometimes the pace of the tortoise is preferable to that of the hare.

CD's are great. Digital downloads are even better in some respects. Some people still like to grab a vinyl LP, set the needle down, and settle in for the warm sounds, along with the occasional pops and cracks, of pre-1983 music! In fact, there are many purist audiophiles who believe the ONLY good way to hear music that was mixed for vinyl records is on vinyl records. :wink:

Maybe the nature of reading will shift with the new media, just like music changed in the digital age?
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams
Persephonespring
Associate

Post by Persephonespring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

I ordered an Apple i-Pad based on the fact that I can download books using a Kindle app, as well as other e books. I have JC's books and CD's and I would be very interested in downloading them for on-the-go reading.
Might be a drop in a bucket, but, as I like to say, no drops, no ocean. :-) Clemsy