myth of morality

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

In fact, if you read my entries carefully, you will see that Ted says very little, but sure quotes a lot, like a parrot.
Yes. This has been noticed.

Clemsy
Ted
Associate

Post by Ted » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

And what do you conclude from this noticia?

Speaking of quotes:
We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
And...since Nin is present and wishes to say more:
When I was working on the diary
I became aware of a wonderful image:
relationships were very much like stellar
constellations--friendships gravitated around
the cities of my life. Paris, New York, Los Angeles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is not one big cosmic meaning for all,
there is only the meaning we each give to our life,
an individual meaning, an individual plot,
like an individual novel, a book for each person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There were always in me, two women at least,
one woman desperate and bewildered,
who felt she was drowning and another who
would leap into a scene, as upon a stage,
conceal her true emotions because they
were weaknesses, helplessness, despair,
and present to the world only a smile,
an eagerness, curiosity, enthusiasm, interest.

We are going to the moon, that is not very far.
Man has so much farther to go within himself.

Anais Nin citations are from the Introduction to The Diary of Anais Nin, 1931-1934,
Edited and introduced by Gunther Stuhlmann. © 1966 by Anais Nin.

Introduction © 1966 by Gunther Stuhlmann.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
There is not one big cosmic meaning for all,
there is only the meaning we each give to our life,
an individual meaning, an individual plot,
like an individual novel, a book for each person.

And now that I am on the subject...a personal note from Ted himself :smile:....

Many moons ago, when I was in private correspondence with James Hillman, and "suffering my personal hell," I shared my "traumatic childhood" with him, a whole page of it, crying like a baby, and in his own inimical way, he responded with one of his infamous one-liners:
It doesn't have to be a trauma...put it in another narrative.
The rest is (pre)history....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ted on 2003-05-29 04:33 ]</font>
Robertthecampbellstudent
Associate

Post by Robertthecampbellstudent » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

I like this posting.

I like what Liminal had to about accepting the darker parts of life. (2nd post)

I liked what David had to say about judiasim vs janism. (11th post)

I liked what Richard had to say about accountablity. (12th post)

I liked what Ted had to say above. Ted thanks man, you give a lot to this site.

I have included my own POV in the next post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robertthecampbellstudent on 2003-06-07 09:55 ]</font>
Robertthecampbellstudent
Associate

Here is what I think about morality:

I don’t necessarily think the world needs more mystics or discussions on morality. What we need is more good people. Mysticism may improve or motivate, but the shortest distance between any two points is a strait line. The easiest way to be a better person is just to be a better person. Forget about developing yourself, nobody really cares about that, they just want to know, did you treat me kindly or did you do me harm.

As I wind up saying in a lot of my other posts, life is pretty simple. Music, art, good food, good friends. This is what everyone wants and needs. It’s pretty simple to acquire.

We do a lot of philosophizing on this site, trading ideas and patting each other on the back, but how much real talking do we do?

So here is the point:

1-When is the last time you gave your time or money to a person or a cause that needed it?
2-Do cheat on your lovers?
3-What do you say or do in awkward silences on elevators?
4-I don’t care whether you give homeless people money or not, but do you look them in the eye when you pass them on the street?

I could list lots of other questions but they would all be saying the same thing.

Robertthecampbellstudent
Associate

To All:

I have web burnout and I'll be gone for about a week. I hope everyone is doing well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Robertthecampbellstudent on 2003-06-10 07:11 ]</font>
Painted Owl
Associate

Post by Painted Owl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Hyeyong,I think your posting,The Myth Of Morality, itself answers your questions.It is a myth,and as such a system,and as Campbell has said,is the system going to serve you,or is it going to eat you up.Outside the social context,morality has no meaning,how could it,to what would it refer? The focus it seems to me, of the major religions which have their orgin in the middle east,is to tell you to be a good boy.The social order is its concern,and teaches you little or nothing about yourself as an individual.

I hope this is helpful,it is a Campbell quote,from where I know not." The dragon,thou shalt,as Nietzche terms the social fiction of moral law,has been slayen by the lion of self-discovery.And the master roars the lion roar,the roar of the great shamans of the mountain peaks,and the eagle then soars upon it's own wings."

You will forgive me for name dropping,but much of the time it is better to go to the source, rather than listen to paraphrases.

Carl Jung,"The chief objects of moral judgement,self-survival verses survival of the species." Heraclitus,"To god all things are right and good." Later Shakespear would steal this and rephrase it,there is no such thing as right or wrong,only thinking makes this so.

Check out,"Thus Spake Zarathustra,by Nietzsche,the three transformations of the spirit or rather,the three metamorphoses,I think that will clarify a great deal for you.

"One day his chains fell away of themselves,and the world eon of Zeus dissolved." Prometheus Bound,Shelly

Great Topic!!!!
"Those whom know the most must mourn the deepest orr the fatal truth, the tree of knowledge is not that of life." Goethe