Mythology and Ministry?

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Richard Arthur
Web Developer

Post by Richard Arthur » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

>I wish I had come to a better understanding of religions when I was much younger, but was too busy being a working mom and wife to even think about the deep stuff.

I think you'll find studying the "deep stuff" is a breeze compared to being a working mom and wife. Experience and maturity surely count for something!
Molly J
Associate

Post by Molly J » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Absolutely, there's much to be said for having the experiences of 40+ years under your belt. But how did these young pups around here get so smart and intuitive so soon? Must be the flouridated water.
cg
Associate

Post by cg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Goode1, I hope you are still monitoring this thread. I see that you have not been to the Sem' yet. Take it from someone who has followed a course of Seminary study. When you get there the first think they do is to remold your thinking. Some faiths do this with more vigor that others but they all do it. They will pound into you that there is only one way, and that is their way! Everything else is of no value - even evil!

Please guard against that! I have been a student of religions for many years. I see a value in all of them, some more than others. To paraphrase Mr. Campbell, "God has many voices." I know, I have "heard" a number of them.

My suggestion to you is to "fill" yourself up with the writings of Joseph Campbell. Get some of his tapes to listen to as well. I would also commend to you the study of Buddhism! It is one of the most tolerant religions on earth. You don't have to become a Buddhist - just learn their ways of dealing with other faiths.

The sad truth is that Seminary will harden you against other people and faiths if you are not on your guard.

I hope I am not putting you off? If you do go to Sem' keep the truth that you know close to your heart. Share it carefully. When you have graduated then put it in practice. The world needs people like you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cg on 2003-10-13 14:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cg on 2003-10-13 19:13 ]</font>