Campbell and Schopenhaur

Who was Joseph Campbell? What is a myth? What does "Follow Your Bliss" mean? If you are new to the work of Joseph Campbell, this forum is a good place to start.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Darwin
Associate

Post by Darwin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Do any of JC's books deal with Schopenaur's philosophy in a comprehensive manner? Since my injury I've found that the support I've received from the motorcycling community has been overwhelming. It seems to strengthen Schopenhaur's thesis that people do not have individual wills but are rather simply part of a vast and single will that pervades the universe: that the feeling of separateness that each of has is but an illusion. I really get that feeling from the outpouring of help and support I've been receiving from not just close friends but from casual acquaintances and even from people I do not know. It's as if the inherent danger involved in our chosen sport gives us all a greater sense of interconnectedness. It's as if almost every motorcyclist I know realizes that what happened to me could happen to any of them, and in some way what happened to me did happen to all of them.

These people are far from perfect. The same strong will and intense passion that drives them to engage in a dangerous activity because they love that activity also makes them opinionated and hot headed. I've made a career of providing information to this community. Sometimes I get disillusioned and bitter from dealing with such hot-headed, opinionated people (in other words, from dealing with people much like myself), but my current situation has shown me that I am privileged to be a part of such a generous, caring, opinionated, hot-headed community.

Painted Owl
Associate

Post by Painted Owl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Painted Owel on 2003-10-15 18:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Painted Owel on 2004-10-08 20:02 ]</font>
Darwin
Associate

Post by Darwin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Thanks Painted Owl.

philspar2
Associate

Post by philspar2 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Sorry to hear you had an accident. Are you OK now ? We opinionated and hot headed motorcyclists care what happens to each other!

I agree with you and Schopenhauer! Every time I hear of or see a motorcycling accident I feel wounded. I even hold my breath for a second. Also, when I have had accidents in the past other motorcyclists have been extremely considerate to me.
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

Darwin

(which is my cat's name, so fond am i of this appellation which means "dear friend")

Though Joseph Campbell offers no comprehensive discussion of Schopenhauer, the bits and pieces scattered throughout the body of Joe's work offered enough of a glimpse to lure me into reading both volumes of The World As Will and Representation.

I would suggest reading the final volume of The Masks of God series, Creative Mythology. Campbell refers to Schopenhauer's thought on over thirty different pages, in addition to a dozen separate quotations from Schopenhauer (a few of which run several pages). The correspondence between Schopenhauer's philosophy and Campbell's mythology is well-defined, as the observations they make within these two different disciplines complement one another.

The primary difference i find between the two lies in Schopenhauer's storied "pessimism" - which is more a label for his philosophy than an expression of personality (and i have trouble with the term, unless we as well refer to the Buddha's pessimism) ... a withdrawal from the World, Life as "something which should not have been" ...

whereas Joe embraces what might be called a more optimistic, exuberant approach - moving past the withdrawal into nirvana of the Hinayana Buddha (the nothingness of extinction), into the "joyful participation in the sorrows of life" exemplified by the Bodhisattva of the Mahayana.

Rather than dispel maya, deny the world illusion, Campbell engages, embraces, and sees through the World Illusion all in the same moment.

Campbell dances with Maya

and has a darn good time kicking up his heels!

namaste
bodhibliss

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bodhi_Bliss on 2004-05-08 21:07 ]</font>
nautis
Associate

Post by nautis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

removed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nautis on 2005-03-08 21:53 ]</font>
RavenCane
Associate

Post by RavenCane » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:22 am

nautis ... great quote ...

Campbell quotes Schopenhauer at times in different communications ... one that strikes me is, if I can remember ...

Individuation is but an appearance in a field of space and time ... space and time are the conditioning forms though which my cognitive faculties apprehend their objects ... hence the multiplicities and differences that distinguish individuals are likewise but appearances ... these exist only as mental representations ...

... [and Schopenhauer's conclusion] ... my own true inner being actually exists in every living creature as truly and immediately as known to my consciousness only in my mind ... this realization is the ground of compassion upon which all true unselfish virtue rests, expressed in all good deeds ...

... [my thoughts] space and time structure perception so you "see" separateness in the objects of the world at large ... and in the internal constructions, thoughts, images in your own mind ... if, when "seeing", you can "let the perceptual separateness go" ... what do you see?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RavenCane on 2004-07-01 05:49 ]</font>