Forum Upgrade

Looking to start a RoundTable in your area? Hosting a mythological event in your area? Have a suggestion how to enhance the forum conversations?

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Forum Upgrade

Post by Clemsy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:34 pm

The much needed software upgrade is well underway and should be completed soon. Thanks for your patience while the site was down.

Mark had to slay many a dragon in the process, so he gets the Joseph Campbell St. George Award that I just made up.

I think you'll easily adjust to the new functions, which really streamline the posting process. If you have any problems, please feel free to discuss them here.

...Just realize that, as of now, the process isn't yet finished.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Forum Upgrade

Post by bodhibliss » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Hey there friends

I tried a test posting while we were in limbo yesterday - of course, the forum wasn't accepting my password, or anyone's password - but, after getting over my natural resistance to change, it is far easier to post. I love having the range of choices - bold print, italics, inset quotes, url links, emoticons - available at the click of a button, rather than having to manually insert instructions.

On the other hand, i don't see any way to edit my posts (i tried earlier today - need to clean up some items from that last long post in the psycho-active thread), but can't seem to find the edit button

... and the moderator forums have disappeared (perfect time for a native uprising ... ), but as Clemsy points out, we are still in process.

Kudos to Mark for slaying this dragon (little did you know when you took it on how multi-headed this hydra is!); thanks for your herculean efforts, Mark!

namaste,
bodhibliss

(I found the edit button)
Robert G.
Associate

Post by Robert G. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:32 am

I appreciate the upgrade, but the pages are really hard for me to read now (the bright white background is not working for me :? ) Is it just my browser, or a step in the process, or is this the new look?
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:44 am

Is it just my browser, or a step in the process, or is this the new look?
Maybe, yes and partly.

I'm not having that problem... may be your display settings? Try adjusting your screen? However, Mark isn't finished tweaking the appearance. May improve when he does. Let us know if not.

Clemsy
Vissi
Associate
Location: Symbol City, Deep In the Heart of the Sonoran Desert

Post by Vissi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Latest update: Presently the login process for the JCF site and the forums are not integrated.New associates will not have access to the forums until this is fixed. Again, please be patient as we iron the wrinkles. For those associates who can log in, feel free to leave site feedback
in the Village Compound.
The above message was on the top of the forum pages this morning and I'm posting in accordance with the request.

Thanks to Mark and all concerned for their efforts and hard work to make the upgrade a reality! It is appreciated.

Beautiful day,
Dixie
Poncho
Associate

Post by Poncho » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:55 pm

Sorry chaps and chapesses

I prefer the old format (may be that's why we lost our Empire - resistance to change etc etc). Visually, the old one was better.

I agree with bodhi bliss about the inability to edit. For instance the change over has meant that many of my links to other websites have been messed up and need rejigging but because there's no edit button I can't sort it out.

As I'm typing this I notice bottom left of this posting box it says HTML is off but I'm not sure how to switch it on.

I suspect that as on many sites we will eventually get a window of opportunity of 10 minutes to iron out errors after the initial posting on the Forum, before it locks you out permanently on that particular post. The great thing about the old Forum was that the time limit for editing was unlimited.

Also my starl ight picture seems to have been messed up on most of my posts by the changeover. Can any of you blokes on the Forum help me out please.

Thanks
Greetings from over the Silver Sea
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi there forum friends,

in my opinion, the forum looks fresh and clear, but still respectable - just perfect for a forum dedicated to Joseph Campbell! (Maybe not frumpy enough though for chaps living on remote Northern islands!) (Look, the emoticons are new, but my favourite grinning one is still there!) - Edit: But it seems not to work :^(

Also shouting in bolds is much easier now!!

And html should not be necessary as long as bb-code works

Ivor, sorry for picking on you - only in good fun! In the upper left corner of your post, there should be an edit button.

There is a discussion going on, if editing should be limited. We were experiencing (very) few times associates who suddenly started deleting pold posts massively, for what reason ever. This behavour really has damaged the forums, because posts by other associates, referring to the deleted ones, suddenly were meaningless. However, it's not decided yet, if unlimited editing will be allowed, or if there will be a small or large or huge time window..

As soon Mark has made the basic work, we can start fixing bugs and take care for the fine-tuning. Further comments about colours, editing function and so on, are appreciated! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mrgreen:
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:41 pm

...including enabling smilies as the default setting :!:

(Just uncheck the box below the 'post reply' window for now.)
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:50 pm

:D Thanks! :mrgreen:
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
ALOberhoulser
Associate

Post by ALOberhoulser » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Nicely done y'all!

It may take time, but a fresh update was needed IMO :?
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Now the JCF fora look like many others I visit: posting is easier, but that "special" look is gone (maybe that's why Ivor feels uneasy-if there is one thing that Englishmen abhor, it is uniformity: they just have to be different).

I have seen some threads called "sticky" in the other fora. They contain basic info and are "pinned" to the top: i.e. they always stay there. We could have some such threads in each forum, explaining the basic premises of Joseph CAmpbell. Recently, we have seen many associates totally missing the spirit of what Joe said, in many conversations.

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Clemsy
Working Associate

Smilies and Greenwich Mean Time

Post by Clemsy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:16 pm

1) Ivor, When you're the only one driving a '65 Mustang, you do stand out. It's a great car, but dang! No power steering, power breaks, FM radio, air bags...

The broken links is an issue. :( Don't know if it's fixable beyond doing it manually as you go along.

2) Thanks Al!

3) I'll forward your idea, Nandu.

4) :idea: Just discovered that you can change the default setting for smilies in your profile. That's the profile link at the top of the page, not the bottom of a post.

5) Also check HERE for the appropriate GMT setting in your profile. (Example: Eastern Standard Time = GMT -5). That link should cover all time zones.

Cheers,
Clemsy

PS: You may want to browse the bbcode help page for assistance on the new functions.
Bliss 5150
Associate

WE FEAR CHANGE!

Post by Bliss 5150 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:14 pm

...Well I must say I love what you've done with the page. Thank you so much! My decline of the west post is now in COLOR!

The buttons are great and make things so easy to format.

Seriously, I am very proud to be posting to this board. Not only for the brilliant minds on it, but to those atlases who keep it from crashing down on us.

People don't like change, I know that is now news for you. However, I just wanted to write you and say thanks.

Different is always a bad thing, just keep your spirits up and let them get used to it.

It's really much better than the old site!

I am very grateful for all your hardwork!

Aloha!!!

Look I can even type hard to find messages like James Joyce! Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes!
Mark O.
Working Associate

Thanks for all the fish

Post by Mark O. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:38 am

Thanks for all of the feedback - I am keeping a list and prioritizing concerns, so please keep them coming. The main task right now is tweaking the database and page coding so that the new associates can log in (slaying the session and cookies dragons for those geeks out there). Once that problem has been addressed, I'll launch into the cosmetic issues, etc. I appreciate your comments!

Mark
Psyche
Associate

Post by Psyche » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:13 am

Hi all! :D

Hey moderators -- great new stylish forum...I like it for its clean look (like Martin said); and find the new buttons and emoticons, etc. a fun challenge. :twisted:

however, I can't send PM's (the system tells me that I cannot send one so soon after just sending one...and I haven't even got the first one off yet!) :shock:

Also, I can't access the Community Council forum anymore...so I can't offer anything good there right now... :evil:

:D

Anyway...good luck to the computer programming folks who are working out the bugs!! So far so good! :idea:

P.

by the way, did I mention that I like the buttons and emoticons?? must be a visual artist thing, right martin??