Bliss, etc.

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Trion
Associate

Post by Trion » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:46 am

Just got introduced to the term "follow your bliss" over the last couple of days and i have fallen in love with everything about it. So simple and yet so tricky to put in words. My heart knows the way without the words but my head wants to understand. I'm just glad it works and that in these times there are others who feel the flow of one humanity emerging more powerful than the individual ego.......thank you for being there
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:34 am

A blissful welcome to the JCF forums, Trion! Your's is a proper & healthy approach to the phrase Follow your Bliss, so you're certainly at the right place here!
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Sir Gawain wrote:Follow your bliss: First discover what would provide you with complete happiness, then follow it. Not on a material level but spiritually. For every person it will be somewhat different. For myself I came to grips with the realization that my nature (combative and belligerent) is not bad. It merely directed me in the long run to live the Way of the Warrior. I welcome conflict and challenge as an opportunity to test my mettle. All the while following a code of behavior and philosophy that helps me refine what I find to be truth. It allows me guidance and clarity combined with a sense of purpose.
What is it that allows you to think and feel at the same time?
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:31 am

Welcome Gawain, sir knight, great and powerful warrior!

Let's have a fight. How do you express your belligerence?

Take your best shot.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:35 am

deus_ex_machina wrote:What is it that allows you to think and feel at the same time?
Hi Deus,

Hmmmm.....thinkin' 'n' feelin' and rubbin' muh tummy.....at the same time?

It depends on the feeling.
RDCharlton
Associate

Post by RDCharlton » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:06 pm

Ah, CB my friend,
Methinks you have found a bit O'bliss in questioning the nature of bliss. For, if I remember correctly, questioning is part of the fabric of your soul, yes?

Bear
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 am

Yup.

:wink:
freespiritintraining
Associate

Post by freespiritintraining » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:34 am

Hello all,

Re: This previoulsy quoted statement: " . . . Maha-satipatthana Sutta (DN 22)
[22]"And what is right meditation (sama-samadhi)? There is the case where an
aspirant, quite withdrawn from sensuality, and withdrawn from unskillful
mental states, enters and remains in the first ecstasy (jhana): bliss (piiti)
and joy (sukha) born from withdrawal, accompanied by applied and sustained
attention (vitakka and vicára). With the stilling of applied and sustained
attention (vitakka and vicára), one enters and remains in the second ecstasy
(jhana): joy and bliss born of tranquility, unification of awareness free
from applied and sustained attention (vitakka and vicára) with internal
assurance. With the fading of joy one remains in equanimity, aware and
alert, physically sensitive to bliss (piiti). One enters and remains in the
third ecstasy (jhana), of which the Noble Ones declare, ‘equanimous and
aware, one has a pleasurable abiding.' With the abandoning of grasping and
aversion for pleasure and pain (sukha and dukkha) -- as with the earlier
disappearance of pleasure and pain -- one enters and remains in the fourth
ecstasy (jhana): purity of equanimity and awareness, with neither pleasure
nor pain. This is called right meditation." . . . . (end quote).

This is or could also be a description of my direct experience of "God" in "The Void".

See also a Buddhist description of "sunyata".

If you have hung in here with with me so far: I would specifically refer you to "Final Chapter" of "my story". there's a surprise in it for you . . . you'lll see . . .

Does anyone have any comment about this? Any questions? Or is everybody describing the same thing; just using different words to do it . . . .?

Just wondering . . . .
May God Bless you And Those you Love And Care For: It does Anyway: Whether you Like it or Not.
orpheusmaximo
Associate

Post by orpheusmaximo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 am

Follow Your Bliss

By that I understand following my true nature, the bliss being but the resonation of the truth. And as a musician, if this truth resonates in others and make them respond to it, it reverberates the truth in me.
Now a being that doesn't exercise its fundamental form is not spiritually alive. Is a being that lives in actions and reactions but is devoid of soul. Lives in the wasteland.
The bliss then is the true stance of being alive, as a single unit and as part of a network. Its harmony of self and its many faces and bodies. It revitalizes on all levels.

( re - again, vitalizes - gives life )
romansh
Associate

Re: So, this is bliss, huh?!!

Post by romansh » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm

CarmelaBear wrote: 1. Feelings of joy and happiness come and go.....so that isn't it.
2. Seeing with the heart is an uncertain proposition at best....
3. Choosing what's right is its own reward, I suppose....
4. Thinking it through isn't much help, really....

What's bliss again?!!

I forget.
For me bliss is:
When drinking my favourite beverage, not to ponder whether the glass is half full or half empty but to partake in the drinking.
And should I find myself thinking my glass is half empty, it's time to order another round.

for me;
not judge, be .....
orpheusmaximo
Associate

Post by orpheusmaximo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:18 am

romansh wrote:
CarmelaBear wrote: 1. Feelings of joy and happiness come and go.....so that isn't it.
2. Seeing with the heart is an uncertain proposition at best....
3. Choosing what's right is its own reward, I suppose....
4. Thinking it through isn't much help, really....

What's bliss again?!!

I forget.
For me bliss is:
When drinking my favourite beverage, not to ponder whether the glass is half full or half empty but to partake in the drinking.
And should I find myself thinking my glass is half empty, it's time to order another round.

for me;
not judge, be .....
Absolutely, and also TO BE ABLE TO ORDER another round! Thus, isn't it maturity then, not to be on the bliss while supporting such blissful moments ( day-to-day work ) but doing it to allow such bliss for You and Your loved ones. And if so, isn't the everyday struggle easier on the soul? ( specially if You work with something You love to do ).
And once that is realized ( that may be many hours of struggle for one moment of realization of Your bliss ), doesn't all Your life, hard moments and all, live inside the path of Your bliss?
romansh
Associate

Post by romansh » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:06 pm

orpheusmaximo wrote:
Absolutely, and also TO BE ABLE TO ORDER another round! Thus, isn't it maturity then, not to be on the bliss while supporting such blissful moments ( day-to-day work ) but doing it to allow such bliss for You and Your loved ones. And if so, isn't the everyday struggle easier on the soul? ( specially if You work with something You love to do ).
And once that is realized ( that may be many hours of struggle for one moment of realization of Your bliss ), doesn't all Your life, hard moments and all, live inside the path of Your bliss?
orpheusmaximo
I suspect you are right,
I have played a fair amount of squash, and during the rallies, there is bliss.
Win or loose the point, I am pulled out of the bliss as I start to judge the outcome.

By the way, if you used the word maturity in a positive sense, then I would ask would a person want eliminate immaturity?

All the best
orpheusmaximo
Associate

Post by orpheusmaximo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:49 am

Hi romansh:

I used maturity as as a learned thought process where:

-One has learned by experience that living in the temporal sphere, attaining the realization of bliss is a temporary state, which realization is positive, and may bring a positive, healthy attitude towards the many, positive & negative, forces of life.

-A reasonal standing, but not nrcessarily negative (although logic is in its core binary, one / zero yes / no ), but neutral, knowing that there is joy and there is hardship but these are temporal situations inside Your timeless positive experience we call bliss.
A reasonal standing of enjoying the positive, and living through the negative without letting it rob You of Your bliss.

I once did a solo boat cruise through the Intracoastal Waterway from Tom's River NJ to Savannah GA. There were moments of Dolphins at Dawn and moments of a zillion Flies pestering You all day. There were moments of current in favor and against, of 12 hour easy cruising and of getting stuck in the mud ( and needing help from boaters or Seatow ). It was all inside my great desire to discover that part of America ( having been born on the Fourth of July and grown up with great love and admiration to America, but mostly in Rio, Brazil ) and each and every moment was part of my bliss and of my path towards it.

That should be the way of following Your bliss I believe.
romansh
Associate

Post by romansh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks for your reply orpheus.

I think we are on parallel paths, just taking slightly different routes.

I think (for me) being completely lost in whatever I'm doing is close to bliss:
mowing the lawn
playing squash
driving
digging the vegetable patch
solving a problem at work
reading a book
sitting down and looking at the view

and so on, but I suspect the important thing is not to pass judgement on the activity (to the best of our ability).

Changing the subject slightly .... this is a reall quiet forum?

all the best
orpheusmaximo
Associate

Post by orpheusmaximo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:26 am

romansh wrote:
Changing the subject slightly .... this is a reall quiet forum?

all the best
In non-judgemental words: " It is what it is..."

Passing judgement means rational evaluation and surely will take You from The realization of Your bliss ( Joy? ), that undescribable moment of atonement with our center of being ( soul? )
The bliss itself ( I believe ) is bigger than the mere momentary realization of it. Is life itself in harmony with our fundamental, is among other things the reason why You are:

mowing the lawn
playing squash
driving
digging the vegetable patch
solving a problem at work
reading a book
sitting down and looking at the view

And its motion & realization.

Is the realization of an electron particle of its speed & position.

It is atonement & harmony and by its definition ( bliss ) the vitalizing & re - vitalizing energies that come with it. It is making love to Your Love.