The Universe Responds... somehow

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

sladeb
Associate

The Universe Responds... somehow

Post by sladeb » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:49 am

I write this in a state of surprise about where my journey is taking me. As many long time associates know, for a long time now I have been working on a PhD, looking at human response to crisis and the design of environments to support crisis response. In August last year I started my own company to encapsulate all that I had learned and put it into practice. My particular focus is response to large scale civil disaster.

Suddenly, 9 months later, I find myself standing at the edge of one of the most astonishing journeys of my life. I have just returned from an initial 7 days in Thailand where we worked to design effective communications to support the NGO community in responding to Myanmar. And all things working out within a month I will be on the ground working to alleviate the suffering and help in the rebuild of the Irrawaddy Delta. At the same time we are planning for response to the gathering global food crisis. Last Sunday I found myself standing in the middle of my bliss, and being astonished with where the journey is taking me. I have let my wishes extend into my surrounding environment and the paths and doors have opened.

Astonishing. Like Nandu, I found myself living in my bliss in my work.. and the line between work and play is non existent.
The one thing I have learned about the quest journey is that as soon as you draw to the close of one quest - another calls and the journey begins once more.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Slade, thanks for sharing those thoughts! It not only sounds like your work has born fruit, but the nature of your work is one of compassion and altruism.

Couldn't think of anything more important for the world today.
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
noman
Associate

Post by noman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 am

I have just returned from an initial 7 days in Thailand where we worked to design effective communications to support the NGO community in responding to Myanmar. And all things working out within a month I will be on the ground working to alleviate the suffering and help in the rebuild of the Irrawaddy Delta. At the same time we are planning for response to the gathering global food crisis.
- Sladeb
You’re totally awesome Sladeb. I remember you saying in these forums how important it is for the hero to deliver his or her boons to society. It’s inspiring to hear someone put their words into action.
Keep us informed.

- NoMan
bodhibliss
Working Associate

Post by bodhibliss » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Yeehaw!

Let me add my kudos, Sladeb. It does my heart good to know you are on the ground taking care of the business of compassion

... talk about right livelihood!

Please keep us apprised as time allows - and let us know how our help can be most effective - particularly where associates can direct their contributions.

Perhaps, after the dust settles, you might be willing to contribute an entry for the MythNow blog detailing your experience and describing how following your bliss brought you to this point.

Keep Dreaming the Myth onward,
bodhibliss
nomad9
Associate

Post by nomad9 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:20 pm

I was trying to get a-hold-of "bodhibliss" because I was told they may be able to help me with finding Campbell's astrological chart. "fire in the Mind" explains much about his views on astrology, particularly around his relationship with his wife. In the notes Campbell states that his moon was conjunct her sun. I looked it up and found that his measurements differed with my own and I thought that his were wrong and doubted this greatly due to Campbell's proficiencies and thought then that his birthday may be different from what is listed.
This was an intuition due to the fact of the quotes noted in the book of Campbell's that were ; " I had to stop casting charts because I didn't think it was right to know the future." and "I knew I wasn't going to get away from her." speaking about his and his wifes chart configurations. Campbell was quite interested in casting charts around the time of his meeting his wife and this decision was very important to him about "her."
Can anyone help to discover whether he was mistaken or if I was or if his birthday was different from what the book said?