The Bliss Bubble

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

CarmelaBear
Associate

The Bliss Bubble

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:12 pm

The whole world was stuck with Iraq because the Americans feared Kerry more than Bush. The world is going to be stuck with another warrior president. Take your pick, the men and women, the Dems and Reps, are all ready to shoot and the world is their firing range. Now, the excuse is this. Next year it will be another excuse.

There is nothing you can do, world! You're just like me and all the other sucker Americans who are going like lambs to the slaughter. We have no moral legs to stand on.

If caring helped, I would wear my heart on my sleeve, but it doesn't matter at all. It's all in the Constitution. Key words: Commander-in-Chief. That means we shoot first and issue a phony cover-up afterward.

The warriors are in charge. We are all powerless.

After their spin fest, there are two survivors, both planning to take over. That much tragedy, that much disappointment, that much blind faith on the part of those who are not concerned about being party to needless, worthless killing.

Of course, I know, you're in heavenly bliss! Golly, you're just happy that the person you vote for fills certain Commander qualities. After all, it's beyond your ken. You're not qualified to decide whether war is necessary or whether it ought to be fought. You love the Constitution that made the Congress ready, willing, and able to cede all their war powers to the One Most Egomaniacal Macho Person (remember, women do it, too).

99.9% of the American people could absent themselves from the polls, and the same game would play itself out. It won't affect our personal happiness (I don't know about you, but I don't let my happiness be affected by things entirely outside my control), but it affects our STATUS as people who live in a country by the people, of the people, and for the people.

I live in a Bliss Bubble. Here, I do not participate in that farce we call the 2008 presidential election.
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Re: The Bliss Bubble

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 pm

CarmelaBear wrote:The whole world was stuck with Iraq because the Americans feared Kerry more than Bush. The world is going to be stuck with another warrior president. Take your pick, the men and women, the Dems and Reps, are all ready to shoot and the world is their firing range. Now, the excuse is this. Next year it will be another excuse.

There is nothing you can do, world! You're just like me and all the other sucker Americans who are going like lambs to the slaughter. We have no moral legs to stand on.

If caring helped, I would wear my heart on my sleeve, but it doesn't matter at all. It's all in the Constitution. Key words: Commander-in-Chief. That means we shoot first and issue a phony cover-up afterward.

The warriors are in charge. We are all powerless.

After their spin fest, there are two survivors, both planning to take over. That much tragedy, that much disappointment, that much blind faith on the part of those who are not concerned about being party to needless, worthless killing.

Of course, I know, you're in heavenly bliss! Golly, you're just happy that the person you vote for fills certain Commander qualities. After all, it's beyond your ken. You're not qualified to decide whether war is necessary or whether it ought to be fought. You love the Constitution that made the Congress ready, willing, and able to cede all their war powers to the One Most Egomaniacal Macho Person (remember, women do it, too).

99.9% of the American people could absent themselves from the polls, and the same game would play itself out. It won't affect our personal happiness (I don't know about you, but I don't let my happiness be affected by things entirely outside my control), but it affects our STATUS as people who live in a country by the people, of the people, and for the people.

I live in a Bliss Bubble. Here, I do not participate in that farce we call the 2008 presidential election.
We are only powerless because we allow them the power. If we truly united against them, there isn't a force on earth that would prevent us from stopping them.

The only enemy is apathy.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:26 am

Thomas Friedman was on David Letterman's Tonight Show, and in his conversation he mentioned that at the Pentagon there is a saying:

"A vision without resources is a hallucination."

I'm not sure what resource(s) it would take to mobilize the majority effectively. Perhaps you would like to start by making a list for us? Then, we can get this show on the road.

Pardon me if I seem somewhat disappointed with the options available to people like me who are not made of money.
Xanadu Within
Associate

Post by Xanadu Within » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 pm

I tend to agree with deus_ex_machina about apathy. It seems Campbell's acceptance of the world as it is and his conviction to continue to follow bliss is, in fact, the furthest thing from passivity. When I say passivity, I do not mean peaceful non-Violence as espoused by Christ, Ghandi, MLK, etc., for theirs is non-violent participation, but participation non-the-less. We as humans are existentially obligated to participate in a game we did not choose to join (life). A nihilistic approach to this would lead to apathy, but the approach that Campbell takes acknowledges the limits of the individual while also acknowledging the potential that every individual has in his/her existential participation.
CarmelaBear
Associate

Post by CarmelaBear » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:27 pm

Participation in WHAT exactly?!

There is a unity we call the United States government. It is expressed in the Constitution, and that document results, time after time after bloody time, in the person who makes us feel most comfy and safe in a world of impending threat from our latest demons. This time the Great Evil Ones are the "terrorists", which we unwittingly created when we fought the Soviets and took over the world with our hegemonic will to dominate everyone. Before that, the Nazis and the Japanese divine wind and before that other bad guys we all fear. Even Jesus and Ghandi would not have approved of Pearl Harbor, slavery, the holocaust, etc.

Apathy is the opposite of doing something constructive, but it's not the opposite of doing something that actually works.

In the drama that is human destiny, there are two ways to achieve goals. One way has to do with the power of will that is concentrated on material changes within time and space. They involve linear plans, implemenation, mobilization, and results.

Another way involves surrender to higher, superior power by the use of intention and belief, rather than concrete manipulation of bodies and supplies and machines. Most believe in an entity, a Supreme Being, benign and trustworthy and real.

In geometry, four equal sides make a square, whether you believe it or you are skeptical.

In religion, the transcendent can become manifest, but belief and intention play more than a useful role. They may be gateways to paradise, hell, and a career in medicine.

Put another way, let's say you desperately need water. You are in the middle of a total desert (no plants or animals....miles of moon dust). What does the activist do? Would it be apathetic to just keep walking and praying?

Okay, I believe we live in a political desert. I think walking and praying makes sense to me for now. If I find out there's a better plan, I'll check it out and try to do something more.

~