With loss comes bliss

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Travis W Forbear
Associate

With loss comes bliss

Post by Travis W Forbear » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 pm

I have always been a happy go lucky kind of guy. I considered myself open-minded and open-hearted. I never had the chance to meet Joe Campbell (I was 10 when he died), but 20 years later his words have helped me like no other.

I'm going to backtrack for a moment and tell you how I came to love Joe. In 2004 my son died shortly after he was born. He had polycystic kidney disease. In 2005 exactly one year to the day and almost hour I watched my daughter die of the same disease. In 2006 I finally hit rock bottom. I became deeply depressed. I tried everything to regain a small part of my life, but to no avail. I began to sink deeper and deeper. I read every book I could find to try to explain the why? One night, while attending a class, I heard a section of The Hero's Journey/ Maybe it was my mindset at the time, but it really didn't hit me with the impact it should have.

About a year later something made me think of that night. I went to the local library to see if I could find something by Joe. No books, but they had a VHS copy of The Power of Myth. I didn't know it then, but my life was about to be changed forever.

I'm always reminded of something Joe said on the Mythos I DVD: "I'm not trying to change the world, just a few people along the way". Well, I'm proud to include myself among those few.

Today I live my life, not haunted by what should have been, but what can be. I am forever grateful to all those people who keep Joseph Campbell alive.
Travis W Forbear<br>Just another traveler along the road.
Rev Nancy Ash
Associate

Joe is smiling...

Post by Rev Nancy Ash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:41 pm

Dear Travis, fellow travelor and friend,

I am so deeply moved by your story that I felt
compelled to respond. Yet in this present moment...
simple words do not express properly.

It is the feeling that is important...from Soul.

You have such courage, and by your beautiful sharing
I know your insight will help many. You have done what
I call "a 360" (three-sixty). From darkest despair
you completely turned yourself around to a positive
affirmation of what life can be. You are an inspiration.

May your heroic light continue to shine as you follow your divine
purpose in this life. You may not have met Joe...that's not important,
because I know he is smiling now!

In the spirit of the sacred circle...if you ever need to "talk"...I'm here.

Best with Blessngs
Nancy
www.doinga360.com
Doing a 360: Turning Your Life Around Completely to Follow Soul's Purpose <br>Being is the sacred ground for the "doing."
deus_ex_machina
Associate

Re: With loss comes bliss

Post by deus_ex_machina » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:50 pm

Travis W Forbear wrote:I have always been a happy go lucky kind of guy. I considered myself open-minded and open-hearted. I never had the chance to meet Joe Campbell (I was 10 when he died), but 20 years later his words have helped me like no other.

I'm going to backtrack for a moment and tell you how I came to love Joe. In 2004 my son died shortly after he was born. He had polycystic kidney disease. In 2005 exactly one year to the day and almost hour I watched my daughter die of the same disease. In 2006 I finally hit rock bottom. I became deeply depressed. I tried everything to regain a small part of my life, but to no avail. I began to sink deeper and deeper. I read every book I could find to try to explain the why? One night, while attending a class, I heard a section of The Hero's Journey/ Maybe it was my mindset at the time, but it really didn't hit me with the impact it should have.

About a year later something made me think of that night. I went to the local library to see if I could find something by Joe. No books, but they had a VHS copy of The Power of Myth. I didn't know it then, but my life was about to be changed forever.

I'm always reminded of something Joe said on the Mythos I DVD: "I'm not trying to change the world, just a few people along the way". Well, I'm proud to include myself among those few.

Today I live my life, not haunted by what should have been, but what can be. I am forever grateful to all those people who keep Joseph Campbell alive.
Travis, I am glad you found something you could take away from such an experience. Being able to transform the sadness of such a tremendous loss is a very special gift.
captainruss
Associate

Post by captainruss » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:15 pm

Hello, I'm new to the site. Glad to be here.
In response to forbear - My journey since losing my wife a year and a half ago has been the most significant event of my life thus far. Although aware of many spiritual ideas over the years, including JC' works, I still kept myself rooted in my day to day life. My wife, who had experienced numerous instances of personal loss from an early age was just naturally on a blissfull path and even toward the end was preparing me for her own departure. The struggle and the path through the grief and pain forced me to be more aware of my path in life. I also believe I'm starting to understand what she seemed to know for so many years. She was always the quite hero in so many peoples lives. What do we fear? Pain? once we have lived though such debilitating pain as loosing one who is closest to you in this life, then what do we fear? What I fear most now is not feeling. Don't know if that all makes sense but I see my traumatic experience as a gift that allowed me to wake up to the life I needed to live now. Would I ever have gotten there without it? Hmm.
Leap and the net will appear
davidh
Associate

Post by davidh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Life is suffering.

Joyfully participate in the sorrows of the world and everything changes.

A young girl came up to JC after a lecture and stated:
Prof. Campbell, our generation doesn't suffer; we go straight to bliss!
His response: Well that's fine, all you miss is life.

I don't think those of you writing above have missed much of life.
Rev Nancy Ash
Associate

Four Noble Truths

Post by Rev Nancy Ash » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes Dear Friends,

The Buddha taught in his 1st Noble Truth:
Life is Duhkha...suffering. Suffering exists.

2nd Noble Truth:
Desire (Trishna) or Attachment is the Cause of Suffering.

There is an end to it! Ah...The 3rd Noble Truth is Liberation (Nirvana). 'Bliss'

The 4th Noble Truth is that Path to Liberation...in other words (JC): "Follow Your Bliss"

Best with Blessings
Rev Nancy
www.doinga360.com
Doing a 360: Turning Your Life Around Completely to Follow Soul's Purpose <br>Being is the sacred ground for the "doing."
boringguy
Associate

Post by boringguy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:17 am

Hi all,

captianruss,

Looking back on a simular story in life from a little farther down the road, I can say this about my own journey.

I am thankful for the gift of freedom, of choice, of responsiblity, in life.

I am very thankful for the gift of love, which I never could have earned or deserved.

And maybe.............only a little more so for the gift of grief.

bg
Associate

Post by creekmary » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:59 am

.."the gift of grief"...

It makes me think of the song Amazing Grace - twas grace that taught my heart to fear, and grace my fears relieved

Sort of a creation of duality. Can you know the comfort without the grief? Know the relief without the fear? Know good without evil?

I used to pray for wisdom and strength. I just didn't think of what the toughening up process might entail. How many times you smack your head on the bar before you wisen up enough to duck.

Susan
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:58 am

For five [5] days I have been going to a hospital where my nephew is whithering away from liver cancer. Strong and mighty he was intellectually. Now, he can't move; have to be bathed by someone else as well as fed. Nothing this once mighty, strong intellect can do but lie there and fight to live when to myself and his wife all is hopeless.

We see things from the outside. We do not know what has motivated others and make them fight, fight, fight for what we believe is a hopeless cause. But for everything which takes place under the sun, there is a reason, and purpose even when our minds cannot grasp such reasoning. But this I know. Life does not move. Consciousness does not move. And Original Thought does not move. But there is a Spirit which moves. And that Spirit is what moves our individual reasoning and logic away from the inner bound of that Life, Consciousness, and Original Thought which contains all the rudiments of creation right where they are. And I know that the further we move in our thoughts from the Center, the more we suffer and struggle to get back where we started from.

Life is infinite. We are Life's representatives no matter how young or old. And if we dare to look up when we are suffering and struggling, we find people such as Joe, or Joel, or someone who will guide us to a brighter day. There is always someone there for us. And we will have our little pity parties, but, as I stated in my second paragraph, I will close by saying there is a time for every purpose under the sun. Find that purpose, and your energy will return to you and you can go forward in your thoughts of living to help someone as you have been helped by someone.
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com
JamesN.
Associate

Post by JamesN. » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Dear Jufa, Thank you for sharing a most moving and poignant insight during such a difficult and frustrating time. Please accept my; and I am sure others who read this; heartfelt best wishes. JamesN.
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Thank you JamesN. I wrote what I did to let others know that what they go through, someone else at the same moment is also going through trying times. And that inspiration and encouragement we give in such moments as these, should always and continuously be in our hearts and outpouring and genuine. We all suffer and struggle within our own worlds of thought even when appearances such as physical deteriortion stand. So kind words should be foremost upon our lips even when all seem to be well in our soul, and the souls of others..

Daily we all suffer, struggle, and die a little without ever realizing "'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you." Heaven is not some far-away state—the reward of years of tribulation here. Heaven is right here—here and now! When Christ said that Heaven was within us, He meant just what He said—that the power for happiness, for good, for everything we need of life, is within each one of us. That most of us fail to realize this Heaven—that many are sickly and suffering, that more are ground down by poverty and worry—is no fault of His. He gave us the power to overcome these evils; He stands ready and waiting to help us use it. If we fail to find the way, the fault is ours.

Your mental concept is all that matters. Its relation to matter is that of idea and form. There has got to be an idea before it can take form. As Dr. Terry Walter says: "The impressions that enter the subconscious form indelible pictures, which are never forgotten, and whose power can change the body, mind, manner, and morals; can, in fact, revolutionize a personality."

p.s. At 2 am on this day my nephew made his transition'
Never give power to anything a person believe is their source of strength - jufa
creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I sympathize with your loss. We lost mama on father's day. Suddenly in the market getting ready for the meal.

Susan
Evinnra
Associate

Post by Evinnra » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:00 am

Dear Jufa, thank you for your moving insights. So sorry to hear about your loss, I pray for your nephew to keep steadfastly true to him self on his mission through eternity. Although now he is passed from this stage of existence, I pray he’ll have the strength and calmness to proceed further - on and on and on.

Indeed, it is only when we suffer that we realise how well we are surrounded with the kindness of ‘others’. Nothing feels quite so satisfying as the reassuring presence of someone wise when our heart aches. We do find those who are truly beautiful when we look up while in pain. I am eternally grateful for all the help I’ve received from beautiful souls and hope to help others the best as I know how.

Evinnra
'A fish popped out of the water only to be recaptured again. It is as I, a slave to all yet free of everything.'
http://evinnra-evinnra.blogspot.com
jufa
Associate

Post by jufa » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Have been extremely busy since the 31th, with the death of my nephew, and then, with a cousin being killed in a m-cycle accident. But I did want to stop by and say to Susan and Evinnra, and all others who did not respond but related, thank you one and all.
Rev Nancy Ash
Associate

Post by Rev Nancy Ash » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Dear Jufa, friend in the sacred circle,

I am deeply moved by your sharing.
Written words are an attempt to express properly
our sincerity, our compassion, our loving consciousness.
The intention underpinning this note for you is just that.

It is the feeling that is important...from Soul. I reach out
to you in this moment offering a hug from my heart of hearts.

When you posted us about your nephew's transition
I felt such a resonance. Death is a change, yes, but
not the end. Heaven is indeed right here and now...if
we choose to "see" it that way--as you and I do.

Yet, the suffering we see around us is challenging.

You have such insight, and by your beautiful posts
I know your strength will help many. You are an inspiration.
This forum really is a "Conversation of a Higher Order."
Perhaps your nephew is with Joe right now...smiling.

May your heroic light continue to shine.

Best with Blessings and Healing Prayers,
Rev Nancy
www.doinga360.com