Following one's bliss

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

deus_ex_machina
Associate

Following one's bliss

Post by deus_ex_machina » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Campbell did not say: "...Look for your bliss,' nor did he say "....seek out, or find your bliss." He said Folllow your bliss. It seems to me this implies that it is not any one noun, or verb, but a lifelong process.

For me it is an intuitive personal "Grail Quest." It is the fulfillment of my spiritual purpose via my own personal mythology. I determine and define the nature of my own spiritual purpose. Nobody else can do this for me.

Ultimately, it is the point at which I have gone from self-actualization, to self-transcendence. I have become my own gestalt. I am more than the sum of my parts, I am something greater than my individual ego (Google Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs).

So I suggest we set aside any notions of "...Happily ever after..." it is not that tangible; rather, It is something we constantly strive and aspire to be. We do not have to do it perfectly, and we do not have to do it the same way every single day. When we put ourselves in the right space, we do not have to seek it out because it will find us.

Whenever we connect with that space where our minds, bodies, and souls meet, we are following our bliss.