Symbols in dreams, Eagle, Spinx, Pyramid of sand

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Rene
Associate

Symbols in dreams, Eagle, Spinx, Pyramid of sand

Post by Rene » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:41 pm

ok here it goes, This is the most peculiar dream to date... and I have had my share :-0

ok in my dream, I am sitting in a halo'd room with my step son, the room would be totally dark without the halo illuminating it, My step son says , Rene do you want to see what I made? I am excited and say yes!! he hands me this miniature , it fit into the palm of my hand.. the size was apx 3x3 inches, rectangle shape, in the front is a small sculpture of a head , ( an egyptian head that you see on pyramids i think it is called a spinx), behind this head is a crafted "perfect" pyramid... apx 1/3 the size of the entire miniature, you could even see the lines between each brick / stone ,behind the pyramid is the sculpted Eagle with his wings spread wide open....

so he hands this miniature to me, and as I receive it in my hand , the pyramid I discover is nothing more than sand, fine sand and I remember having a thought this is the same sand as in an hour glass
I watched the sand pour down my hand... so all that is left is the head, this spinx, and the eagle

we both smile as if we are in awe . like 2 children on a playground discovering something for the first time and then i wake up .........

anyone have any thoughts come to mind about this dream? thx
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi Rene,

I'm going to make an "attempt" at this, but with a disclaimer.
Dream interpretation for entertainment purposes only. It may be deemed by some that the interpreter is not qualified for this duty, he may be bias and not reflect all philosophies discussed on this website. :D
I'm not sure if you're familiar with Neoplatonism, but like so many other "beliefs" it is based on the principle of "three". There is "the one" (plato called this "the good") which is the source of all life; this transcends into the intellect (which I sometimes refer to as the "we" or nous) which for me is the same as Jung's "collective unconsciousness". This then transcends into a material form, referred typically as a "soul". So I see your eagle, pyramid, and sphinx as "the one, the intellect and the soul".

This concept is also depicted by the solar disk of Akhanatan as a sun with rays that form into human hands.

So behind the "material form" of a sphinx, there is the "intellect". A pyramid is a prism that takes one source of light and turns it into many colors, sort of like the "rays of the sun". And behind that is the "source of life", which you depicted as an eagle. Maybe to represent "freedom to live". The pyramid turning to sand I feel also represents time, but each grain of sand represents a "lifetime" all forming an unconsciousness that's as vast as "grains of sand".

So when your step son says "look what I've made" , it could mean the same thing as "look what you've made" or look what we've made. Neoplatonism is considered to be "monist" in nature. In monism, the "creator" and "created" are one. We transcend the source of life, and are not seperate.

Let me know what you think. Everything should be on wikipedia. I'm sure others will chime in now that I gave them a "target" to shoot at. :D
Rene
Associate

Post by Rene » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 am

Hi thankyou for your response, I have never heard of "Neoplatonism" I find it fasinating,
and as I read your reponse , I have to tell you that today on my facebook header, I typed in "Rene is thankful for Soul kisses"... hehehe so maybe we are on the same wave length

You also mention >>>The pyramid turning to sand I feel also represents time, but each grain of sand represents a "lifetime" all forming an unconsciousness that's as vast as "grains of sand". <<<<

I also thought that the pyramid tuning to sand represented time... I also thought the spinx being a symbol for the beginning, the eagle the end ....... but the eagle standing the test of time like solidity

very interesting dream indeed...... I also should mention , i may or may not be important is that from the time my step son was small, he would stir the muse in me... It is like he and I would talk and within minutes i was running for a pen and paper to jot down a poem or two
lol......... still can't figure that one out
jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 am

I just thought I would add a little note of caution here. Dream interpretation is very much dependent on knowledge of the dreamer's history and general psychological state of being. If we are not in possession of these pieces of information, we tend to interpret what the dream means to us rather than what it means to the other. Psychiatrists and Psychologists like Freud, Jung and Rank were very careful about gathering great amounts of information before attempting to interpret their clients' dreams. I would suggest, Rene, if it is in your budget, buying a dream encyclopedia to get yourself started. Many can be purchased at a bookstore for less than $20. The best kinds give several types of interpretations for each image because some people are more religious than others and this can have a big impact on the symbolism. A dream book will help you get started at understanding what is going on in your life and how it is being represented in your dreams. From there, you can mature to almost never needing the book and seeing the meaning behind the symbols quite easily.

Just some food for thought.

By the way...nice disclaimer Neo! And a nice 'self-interpretation' as well! :wink:
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:20 am

By the way...nice disclaimer Neo! And a nice 'self-interpretation' as well!
Well...I said it would be "bias". Experience defines symbols, so I defined her symbols based on my experience. Hey,,,I think this is pretty good for someone who only deals with numbers. :wink:
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Rene
Associate

Post by Rene » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:26 pm

jonsjourney wrote:I just thought I would add a little note of caution here. Dream interpretation is very much dependent on knowledge of the dreamer's history and general psychological state of being. If we are not in possession of these pieces of information, we tend to interpret what the dream means to us rather than what it means to the other. Psychiatrists and Psychologists like Freud, Jung and Rank were very careful about gathering great amounts of information before attempting to interpret their clients' dreams. I would suggest, Rene, if it is in your budget, buying a dream encyclopedia to get yourself started. Many can be purchased at a bookstore for less than $20. The best kinds give several types of interpretations for each image because some people are more religious than others and this can have a big impact on the symbolism. A dream book will help you get started at understanding what is going on in your life and how it is being represented in your dreams. From there, you can mature to almost never needing the book and seeing the meaning behind the symbols quite easily.

Just some food for thought.

By the way...nice disclaimer Neo! And a nice 'self-interpretation' as well! :wink:

yes thankyou... good advice and I agree, I've been doing some research online in terms of exploring symbols and their various meaning , I hope I am approaching this dream properly
My Step sons beliefs are totally opposite of mine , in the sense that he sees life through the eyes of science, if it can't be proven sceintifically then it is discounted... where as I tend to be more of a mystic type person..... i trust my experience in eveything , to Him the pyramid is about the dimensions and the building of it....... Eagle has meaning to him , and printed the image logo on his buisness cards for construction, (years ago),
He would look at the Eagle for its intellegence to capture prey, its keen eyesight, not any esoteric or christian symbolism... yet we connect well and have a great relationship

I'm still allowing this dream its space and see what comes of it... :-)

so I keep this in mind when exploring the symbols...
Rene
Associate

Post by Rene » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Neoplato wrote:
By the way...nice disclaimer Neo! And a nice 'self-interpretation' as well!
Well...I said it would be "bias". Experience defines symbols, so I defined her symbols based on my experience. Hey,,,I think this is pretty good for someone who only deals with numbers. :wink:
lol... no you did great thankyou!! :wink:
jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:53 pm

I agree Rene, Neo did great, and as he said, especially for a numbers guy! Numbers guys...ugh. :roll: Besides his disclaimer was comprehensive!
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams
Samarra
MRT Leader

Inner Child

Post by Samarra » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Rene,

I think the end of your dream is the most powerful. You connected with your inner child through the interaction with your step son. As he is no longer a child, you could say that you also connected with his.

We, as adults, are so caught up in the day-to-day routine of paying bills and rushing here and there, that we tend to forget about living in the moment. Children have not yet learned this handicap. Sometimes, we briefly recapture this feeling of “the bliss of now.”

As I am writing this, I am sitting in a hospital cafeteria. A few tables away, there is a little boy with his face pressed against a large window. It’s raining here in Chicago, and he is watching the droplets stream down. I am living in his bliss, right here, right now as I type these words, thankful for this gift… the gift of a child.

Keep dreaming, Rene.