The Caress of the Goddess

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

nandu
Associate

The Caress of the Goddess

Post by nandu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:13 am

I was unsure at which forum I should post this topic: it works equally well in Mythos for the Creative Community, Exploring Your Personal Mythology and of course, Conversations with a Thousand Faces, as well as here. Then ultimately I decided, since it concerns my bliss more than anything else, that this was the right forum.

I started writing a novel in November, as part of the NaNoWriMo madness. I knew very well that with my busy schedules, I couldn't finish. However, it was a break from the monotony.

But a strange thing happened. The novel which started out as a pastime, suddenly took on a life of its own: even though I didn't complete, it still remains alive. And the story changed by itself-drastically.

What began as a dark fantasy featuring the Yakshi became a doomed man's search to lay his childhood demons to rest forever. In his journey into the past, he encounters demons from realms of both fantasy and reality: and the protagonist absorbed a lot of myself into him. But what is most interesting is how the Goddess, Kali, entered the story. The hero, who is HIV+, ultimately redeems himself by having sex with the Goddess.

I first shied away from this blasphemous idea: but Kali persisted, and Her fearsome form which has been my bugbear since childhood suddenly took on sexual overtones. I began to get excited by looking at Her terrible visage. And talk about serendipity: wherever I turned, I saw Her magnificent presence.

Yesterday night I had a dream. In it, I am visiting the local temple of my childhood village, and I find one area which has not been explored. It is full of the idols of Kali. Strangely, they do not frighten me, as they usually do. And I am accompanied by the female members of my family, who enter the sanctum sanctorum where the idol is located, which is usually out of bounds for all except the priest. But my grandmother tells me: "that rule doesn't apply here."

I feel very excited. I sense the Goddess just around the corner...

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:39 pm

For those of you not fimiliar with Kali, here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali

Nandu wrote:
The hero, who is HIV+, ultimately redeems himself by having sex with the Goddess.
By embracing death, we are reborn.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:06 pm

I find one area which has not been explored. It is full of the idols of Kali. Strangely, they do not frighten me, as they usually do. And I am accompanied by the female members of my family, who enter the sanctum sanctorum where the idol is located, which is usually out of bounds for all except the priest. But my grandmother tells me: "that rule doesn't apply here."

Whoa ho! Nandu this is so cool! Your story (and where do stories come from, anyway?) has brought you to an interesting threshold. These elements are fantastic!

This reminds me of my own encounter with the anima image in my own dreams in the Creative Dreaming thread, except yours is brimming with powerfully personal yet mythic imagery.

The "unexplored area," "sanctum sanctorum" and "that rule doesn't apply here." Wow.

Nandu, I think you should continue pecking away at that novel. You can't stop now! You're on the threshold! This reader wants to know what happens next!
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Clemsy wrote:Nandu, I think you should continue pecking away at that novel. You can't stop now! You're on the threshold! This reader wants to know what happens next!
Clemsy, I don't think Kali will allow me to stop. I am hers now, I think.

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
jd101
Associate

Post by jd101 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:32 am

Hi Nandu,

I don’t get on the jcf forum that often, and I just happened to open this post…

7 years or so ago I did a hatha yoga workshop with another ‘nandu’, and I post a short bio on him below. This guy was pretty interesting so I purchased and read his first book, ‘Kali’s Odiyya”, which by the way is very well written and a most unusual account of tribal goddess worship in Kerala. Most orthodox Hindus probably shy away from such accounts…labeling them as ‘left-hand paths’, dark side tantra or worse. Personally I found the book fascinating and eye opening. At any rate,
reading some of your posts, and particularly this thread propelled me to this memory of my meeting with this teacher, and I thought the coincidence was worth sending you this post.

When I first read your post, I thought of some of the unforgettable and absolutely astonishing stories from Nandu’s book (which he purports to be his true autobiography). I also thought of and wanted to offer to you my flash that you are pursuing what Campbell describes in his stories about Jung investigating what myth he was living by. Jung as you no doubt recall, was fascinated as a child with creating little buildings with stones, and as an adult rekindled this passion with his building on a larger scale. It was out of this activity that he started working with his sketches, dreams and personal writings from which his mandala drawings emerged.

May you bring forth your passion as well.

Below is the bio on the other Nandu:

Amarananda Bhairavan, affectionately known as Nandu, is an internationally renowned Vedic Priest and Master Healer. During his joyous childhood amongst an extended family on the west coast of India, Amarananda trained in Oti vidya, a tantra unique to Odiyyathis or tribal medicine women of Kerala. Initiated at the age of nine by his aunt, Amarananda Bhairavan remains a direct descendant of this eight thousand year old tradition of goddess worship. His mystical education and initiations in the ancient Oti vidya tantric practices are the subject of his two visionary books: Kali’s Odiyya: A Shaman’s True Story of Initiation and Medicine of Light: A Shaman’s Journey through Mystic Space-Time
john
Samarra
MRT Leader

Deepa Kali

Post by Samarra » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Nandu,

I can very much relate with your writing experience, as I have recently completed a screenplay which is based on Joe's Monomyth... although I didn't know about that structure when I wrote it (just a little spooky).

It was truly amazing! The words flowed to the page like water from my soul. Sometimes it was as if I was watching someone else's fingers typing on my laptop. I equated it to listening to my muse, much the way you do to Kali.

One of my characters, Deepa, named after a friend of mine, is from India. Since she doesn’t have a last name yet, I’m going to make it “Kali”.

Deepa Kali – that has a nice ring! It’s appropriate, as her catch phrase throughout the film is, “God is dead… worship the Goddess.”

Thanks for the reference!