Dream Journaling

Joseph Campbell formulated what became his most quoted dictum, "Follow your bliss" in the decade before his death. Join this conversation to explore this idea and share stories.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

FictionalWMD
Associate

Post by FictionalWMD » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

However, I do recommend this idea of dream journaling as often as one is able to. It gives me a sense of direction with my thoughts and ideas. I hope this helps someone out there looking to figure out their direction. Smile
I have a dream journal also. Dreams that are the most outlandish are ones I'm able to retain when i return from that goofy subconscious of mine... I jot them down in detail. I see them as story ideas for later works down the line. When I look back at the journal I see what I wanted most at that time manifesting. I'm interested in what the symbolism of dreams are, such information as to bring back our boons from the sublime could prove invaluable. Maybe a unifying theory of physics or two, a couple packs of cancer cures and a diet military budget to go.
jonsjourney
Associate

Post by jonsjourney » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 am

Just a "technical help" remark FictionalWMD....if you want to quote somebody's post...there are several ways....I copy the post, paste it in the reply window, then highlight the passage and press the quote button.

I think there are several ways of doing it, but that is my somewhat archaic technique.
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." -Douglas Adams
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

Fiction, your bbcode was disabled. Look at the check boxes below the post window the next time you post. I fixed this one for you. 8)
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Grailking
Associate

Post by Grailking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 am

Dream journaling is an essential tool for me
For a number of reasons;
1. It helps me remember many more dreams than usual. Like watering a plant. Your mind seams to reward you with more dreams for paying attention.
2. It provides me with loads of inspiration and imagery for my creative endeavors .
3. It is a ritual that symbolizes growth, consciousness and my role in connecting with something greater than the ego.
cadfael
Associate

Post by cadfael » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Dreams can be interpreted in any fashion. We see that in William Shakespeare's Julius Ceaser. Therefore, is there always any real specific meaning to a dream? I agree with Sartre in that we create meaning. The Conscience mind creates the meaning of the sub-conscience. I must also add that these dream journals seem a bit egotistical. If we are honest with ourselves then we ought to see the meaning that we create in our lives for the good or bad then move on.

Cadfael
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Cadfael, dream journals are not egotistical. I fell out of the habit, but when I did the dreams came like a flood. Dreams are fables from our deeper wisdom, and many hold important messages, from Self to self.

I learned a lot. It was also a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
creekmary
Associate

Post by creekmary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I need to start again I guess. I have been having dreams lately but I just grasp at those wispy tail ends of them when I wake up, and lose them. I feel like I probably still got the message subliminally sort of since my mind almost remembers, but I'd like to have them a little bit more to the front so I can look at them and examine. The only thing I brought back from the last one was the image of a big black circle with a stem. Like a cherry or music note, but I think it was something off a tree. Practice makes perfect I suppose.
Fishy Phil
Associate

Post by Fishy Phil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 am

creekmary wrote:I need to start again I guess. I have been having dreams lately but I just grasp at those wispy tail ends of them when I wake up, and lose them. I feel like I probably still got the message subliminally sort of since my mind almost remembers, but I'd like to have them a little bit more to the front so I can look at them and examine. The only thing I brought back from the last one was the image of a big black circle with a stem. Like a cherry or music note, but I think it was something off a tree. Practice makes perfect I suppose.
I've just started keeping a dream journal and it is amazing what comes out from "down there" :shock: The tree could be the world tree of course Mary - the black circle is maybe hanging on there with the stem and you need to be willing to pluck it off the tree ie feel some of the darkness to reach wholeness (roundness).
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:01 am

I have these early morning dreams. Just before I am fully awake. They take the form of a Greek dialog, Where a wise master explains some truth to his student.

For the longest time I identified with the master. This went on until I realized that these were new ideas for me and that I was the student.

I don't know how to Interpret this. The lessons make a great deal of sense.

Ron
Cindy B.
Working Associate

Post by Cindy B. » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:52 pm

I would suggest, Ron, that in such dreams you are both master and student.

If our dreams reproduce certain ideas these ideas are primarily our ideas, in the structure of which our whole being is interwoven. They are subjective factors, grouping themselves as they do in the dream, and expressing this or that meaning, not for extraneous reasons but from the most intimate prompting of our psyche. The whole dreamwork is essentially subjective, and a dream is a theatre in which the dreamer is himself the scene, the player, the prompter, the producer, the author, the public, and the critic. --Jung

:)
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s. --Jung
Roncooper
Associate

Post by Roncooper » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Cindy,

What you say makes a great deal of sense to me. Thanks.

Ron
Fishy Phil
Associate

Post by Fishy Phil » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:21 am

Roncooper wrote:I have these early morning dreams. Just before I am fully awake. They take the form of a Greek dialog, Where a wise master explains some truth to his student.

For the longest time I identified with the master. This went on until I realized that these were new ideas for me and that I was the student.

I don't know how to Interpret this. The lessons make a great deal of sense.

Ron
Maybe it indicates you are actually ready to listen to what the subconscious is nudging you about. It can be easy to dismiss images and feelings that come up by giving them an interpretation as if you already know everything. By definition what is in your subconscious you don't know consciously about. You've cut yourself off from it. You've got to let it take you to an uncomfortable place that stretches you - just like a struggling student. A full cup can contain no more tea. An empty cup can.