Who is in the details?

Joseph Campbell believed that "...each of us has an individual myth that's driving us, which we may or may not know." This forum is for assistance and inspiration in the quest to find your own personal mythology.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Samarra
MRT Leader

Who is in the details?

Post by Samarra » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:25 pm

This is a response to Lizpete’s posting under a different thread. My reply is not relevant to that topic, so I started a new one here…

About two months ago, my aunt used the phrase, "the Devil is in the details." It was the first time I'd ever heard that. A few weeks later, I was watching From the Earth to the Moon, and Tom Hanks said, “God is in the details.” Now that was a little spooky!

The timing was interesting, as a month later, I joined the JCF as an associate. Simultaneously, I started a new job where I was expected to join the corporate forum also as… an “associate”. Even more spooky!

I’ve recently written a screenplay and am trying to get it made into a movie. I viewed my day job as interfering with my bliss, since the script hasn’t exactly been sold yet. But, I have bills to pay .

Because of this conflict, I had a minor bipolar episode. In my manic state, I viewed my day job as evil; that I was being controlled by the corporation, who actually had the audacity to ask me to cut my hair -- which really fed the paranoia.

My doctor started me on massive doses of an antipsychotic, which slowly brought me back to center. I realized that the job was there to keep my family going until I could close the movie deal and start my new job as a director. So in my current state of mind, I would like to propose that neither the Devil nor God is in the details. It’s the Truth that’s in the details.

Any thoughts on that?
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:47 am

Samarra, it's possible that you have heard the phrase The devil is in the details many times, but only when it started becoming significant to you, you remembered the phrase and recognized it in that film with Tom Hanks. Maybe the phrase might be understood as the opposite of not to see the wood for the trees. Some people tend to forget about the whole view, some tend to ignore the details. So who is in the details? God or devil? Depends on who takes care for the details. Or rather how we do it: Like a god or like a slob.

Quoted from http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/694.html:
The "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996) shows this phrase as a variation of "God is in the details - Whatever one does should be done thoroughly; details are important. The saying is generally attributed to Gustave Flaubert (1821-80), who is often quoted as saying, 'Le bon Dieu est dans le detail' (God is in the details). Other attributions include Michelangelo, the architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the art historian Aby Warburg. 'The Devil is in the details' is a variant of the proverb, referring to a catch hidden in the details. 'Governing is in the details''and 'The truth, if it exists, is in the details' are recent variants. Listed as an anonymous saying in the sixteenth edition of Barlett's 'Familiar Quotations,' edited by Justin Kaplan."
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
Ned Kelly
Associate

Post by Ned Kelly » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 pm

As a lawyer, I can tell you that the details are always negotiable! 8)
Martin_Weyers
Working Associate

Post by Martin_Weyers » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Ned Kelly wrote:As a lawyer, I can tell you that the details are always negotiable! 8)
That's why I believe we're living in a world of mediocracy: Today you can negotiate even with the devil!
Works of art are indeed always products of having been in danger, of having gone to the very end in an experience, to where man can go no further. -- Rainer Maria Rilke
hariskotoul
Associate

Post by hariskotoul » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:56 am

I believe details are relative to context. Under certain circumstances something might seem as a detail and under other circumstances it may be the main issue. The importance of something almost always becomes clear at a later stage and perhaps in a different setting. So we can never be sure.
The only criteria we can use are through our accumulated experience. But then again it is very limited.There are always going to be things we do not know anything about, we do not control or we do not have experience of. Things we tend not to think a lot about, things we take for granted or do not even know that they exist. There lies God, the devil, the truth or whatever we think controls our lives. But what if nothing controls our life but us?
We can always see a glass half full of water as half-full or half empty. It is a matter of choice and perspective. Choices are reactions to needs.
So basically what I am saying is you choose what you need. What do you need to find in the details?