A definition of "God" that both science and religi

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 am

God: spiritually; the creative cause of life and manifest reality; the ultimate source of all; ultimate reality (expressing and manifesting through human mind). All pervasive, inexhaustible; the natural perpetual source of everything else. Having the qualities of infinite, divine, inexpressible, incomprehensible, intangible, immutable, caring, creative love, truth, compassion, forgiveness, humility, principle and intelligence.
Actually...you're a little late. Many people have used different words to describe this idea on this website for sometime now. Not to mention that myths have been saying this for thousands of years.

Nothing new...just not taught.
Infinite moment, grants freedom of winter death, allows life to dawn.
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Why isn't it taught?-Brian
Because there is no "value added" to societal existence. There is no control value of the masses in teaching this knowledge.
Who would be responsible for teaching it?
You would think the "religious" sector. However, since religion is supposed to reinforce society, good luck. Education is State run...so here's how you should behave; if not, please submit your appliction for food stamps and section 8 housing.
When would be a good time to start?
Oh..about 5,000 or so years ago.
I mean if I can figure this out, why can't anybody else?
Well I did. But as I said before...a wet log can't catch fire.

If your talking about the masses, this is my dilemma as well. :(
Does fundamental orthodox religion still have such a strangle-hold on the educational system (especially in the USA) such that science "cannot" be taught in schools?
Uh..yes. and any sytnheisis of the two is viewed as nonsense.
So why is this research (looking for the God particle as an example) being performed if "science" already understands "God" ? Even if religion doesn't?
Obviously for tangible proof. But since the tangible proof that exists is dismissed as nonsense, the search continues.

And the grant money keeps flowing. :wink:
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey Brian,

Your entusiasm is wonderful, so I have to ask, did you just have the "ah ha" moment? Because eventually, the reality of "the ignorance" hits you the face.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop trying... :wink:
Why does fundamentalorthodox religion have such a serious problem with this? Other than their own "ignorance"?
Control, Control , Control. Religion isn't a guarantee of enlightenment, it wants to ensure stability. I don't know if this is ignorance, vice willfull misinforation.
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, I have been hit in the face by the ignorance. I ended up losing my job because of some of these ideas. Due to harrassment and discirimination I ended up retiring to protect my pension benefits.
OUCH! :x This is what would happen to me as well. So I'm forced to keep my mouth shut at work.

And some days it's really very hard. The only "hint" I leave is my "Dalai Lama Quote a Day" calendar. Only one person has ever asked me about it, but I just said "I like the Dalai Lama because he's religion neutral". It seemed to suffice.
Neoplato
Associate

Post by Neoplato » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:20 am

Why not post Jesus' Two Commandments above your work station at your workplace: I guarantee you that for many it will be the first time they have ever heard about them; let alone seen them in print. -Brian
I'd wonder if they would understand them. :lol: Seriously, that would only attract attention to myself...and believe me, I don't need anymore attention.
you could just claim "freedom of religion": . . .
Um...no freedom of religion there. Especially when your "religion" appears to be symtoms of schizophrenia (See Myths to Live By).
Depending on your level of courage and integrity, You might have some fun with this . . . .
I see you're not an accountant. :wink:

We worry about conformity and why the numbers don't match. And unfortunately...if I don't match, I'm out on my ear.

I told somebody once that I was a non-denominational Christian. They said "Well, at least your 'normal'" :shock:

Of course what I really meant was that my beliefs are not a denomination of Christianity. :wink:
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:06 am

Brian,

Have you read any of Joseph Campbell's work?

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm

BrianLeslieEngler wrote:Hi Clemsy,

Yes I have; and I would like to look up the passage being referred to. Where would I find it? By the way, I also have his DVD's or at least some of them.

If you are referring to the title of a book, fine. If you are referring to a topic on this forum, fine. I'd still like to look it up . . .

Or maybe you could just explain it to me . . .

I guess you comment is a put-down, correct?

-Brian Leslie Engler
Not at all. It was a simple question. Your initial posts do not mention Campbell. This is a Joseph Campbell website, and while familiarity with his work is not a prerequisite for participating here, it certainly is a good idea if you are going to understand where associates who are familiar with his work are coming from.

The relationship between schizophrenia and the inward journey of the hero is a common theme in Campbell's work. Neo is citing the book mentioned, Myths to Live By, chapter 10. You can find the book HERE.

Besides, seems to me that Neo may be saying that one's religious convictions could appear as schizophrenic to others. He was making no accusations that I can see.

Myths to Live By is a great book. I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas