A definition of "God" that both science and religi

What needs do mythology and religion serve in today's world and in ancient times? Here we discuss the relationship between mythology, religion and science from mythological, religious and philosophical viewpoints.

Moderators: Clemsy, Martin_Weyers, Cindy B.

Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:30 am

I understand and you are correct that to most here this is nothing new. However, no baby is necessarily being thrown out with the bath water. The Christ image is one of many that can bring one to the same place.

No image at all works, also, as far as I'm concerned.

The Promised Land being a realm of the heart, as it were. Christ is within. Buddha is within. Etc, etc. These are just lenses we use to focus our attention, metaphors that point in a certain 'direction.'

I assume those who participate here know the stories. Campbell's work with these stories is why we're here.

We don't need to use the same vocabulary. In fact, everyone's vocabulary is different, is personal.

Yet, pretty much, we say the same thing. We have fun sharing are different perspectives on this same thing.

Occasionally someone comes around believing their vocabulary, or way, is the best and only way. I seem to perceive concern that you may be here to share 'the good news' to folks who have already read the paper, as it were. May not be the case at all, but I can see where some may see it this way.

Cheers,
Clemsy
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:47 am

BrianLeslieEngler wrote:So, what are you doing about it or with it; other than just theorizing about it, talking about it, impressing each other with how much you know about it; and so on and so forth ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
How do you know that we are not doing anything with it?
BrianLeslieEngler wrote: It seems to me that Mr. Campbell explored and devoted his life to researching, organizing and articulating these ideas so that simple people like me could understand them and use them to create a better world; one life at a time.
Fine... as long as it's your life. But leave my life alone! :wink:

Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Andreas
Associate

Post by Andreas » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:32 am

Hehe, I have to answer this one and I will do it with a question.
How are you using your "Christ", your "Buddha", your "Mohammed", your "Confucious", your "Lao Tse" your "Hitler," your "satan", your "devil " your God?

What are you doing that is new, dynamic, original or creative? - Brian
How can you be creative, dynamic and original when you are following someone else path? :P
“To live is enough.” ― Shunryu Suzuki
Clemsy
Working Associate

Post by Clemsy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 am

So, what are you doing about it or with it; other than just theorizing about it, talking about it, impressing each other with how much you know about it; and so on and so forth ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
I could ask the same of you, Brian.

And did you just say," As for me being a shaman; and perhps the greatest "shaman" who has ever lived...?" And I'm trying to "impress" people?

I'm just having a conversation. That's what we do here. As for "what I'm doing about it," well... I could go on and on about that. However your attitude, which I am now officially concerned about, really does inspire me to tell you that's none of your concern.

Now about your attitude. I understand why the other forum banned you. Let me be plain, this is a private website with Guidelines for participation. The speech you are free to use here is defined in those guidelines.

1. Respect others. Your comment quoted above is condescending and judgmental toward me personally. You are showing disrespect.

2. Respect others' opinions: These are Conversations, not Conversions. You got yourself bounced from another forum and came here, posting your personal essays from that forum. This isn't a blog for you to use to enlighten others, which is precisely what you are doing.

You have been shown nothing but respect from me. So now I find myself having to officially warn you follow those guidelines very carefully or your time here will be short lived. So any more condescending, disrespectful remarks as your post to me contains and you will be banned for a period of 30 days. (Further infractions are followed by a permanent ban. Just so you know.)

As for
It seems to me that Mr. Campbell explored and devoted his life to researching, organizing and articulating these ideas so that simple people like me could understand them and use them to create a better world; one life at a time.

Quite true. This is where chat about that 'understanding' part, from our different perspectives, share them, and, hopefully grow a bit thereby.

If you have a problem with this, conversing on an equal footing with everyone else, than I highly recommend you take your catechism elsewhere. Personally, I have no interest in it.

Mainly because of the way you are presenting it.

Most sincerely,
Clemsy
Forum Moderator
Give me stories before I go mad! ~Andreas
nandu
Associate

Post by nandu » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 pm

BrianLeslieEngler wrote:With respect: What kind of "hero" are you being? What kind of "god" are you being?
Just trying to be myself (my Self)
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:How are you helping to make your world a better place for others?
Well, I'm more concerned with how I am realising myself.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote: How are you using your "Christ", your "Buddha", your "Mohammed", your "Confucious", your "Lao Tse" your "Hitler," your "satan", your "devil " your God?
By following my bliss (which happens to be engineering: I am helping the oil companies to get more oil out of the ground, thus growing richer, all the while contributing my mite to global warming :oops: :cry: )
BrianLeslieEngler wrote: What are you doing that is new, dynamic, original or creative?
Nothing much... other than living my life.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote: Personally, if you were to ask me how I was doing this myself in my life on the outer path; the material path; my life looks pretty much the same as anyone else's. Quite frankly, that doesn't even really concern me anymore.

But the inner path? The spiritual path? That is the real hero's real journey.
Of course. We are on the same page here.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote: So, here is a question: What are you afraid of? And why? What is inhibiting you from living exactly the way you want to live? From being the person you really want to be regardless of your material, outer circumstances?
Well, I am afraid of death, disease, desolation... everything the average human being is afraid of.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:And if your answers are about the outer, material condition of your life . . . . Well, you just did not get it, and you are still a "victim" of your circumstances . . .
Yes, I'm bound by my circumstances, as we all are. But how can you say I did not get "it"? What qualifies you to judge my journey?
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:And how exactly am I messing with your life? Or upsetting it? We have never met and you don't even know me . . . all you did was read something . . . .
You said you were going to use Joe Campbell's ideas to create a better world, one life at a time. I was just asking you (jokingly) to leave me out of the betterment process.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:But, if there was a perturbation or a psychic / mental / emotional / spiritual disturbance which was stimulated by what you read, why not follow that and see where it leads? Find out the inner, spiritual "truth" about that?

That could be an interesting (hero's) journey . . . but it is your inner spiritual journey to make, not mine or anybody else's. And of course, it takes courage . . .
I am glad you acknowledge it's my journey. Let me humbly point out that I don't need to see your "truth" to start my journey-same as you don't have to see my "truth" to start yours.
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:Quite frankly, mine started when I was four years old, and it continues to this day.
I guess everybody is on their own journey. Have you read "Before the law" by Franz Kafka?
BrianLeslieEngler wrote:And then again, maybe I am just full of shit as far as you are concerned. That is OK too. As any of my good friends can tell you, I can be as full of shit as anybody.

The thing is: I can admit it. I'm not even shy about it, or embarrassed to admit it..
You are full of shit only if you think so, Brian.

Cheers
Nandu.
Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavanthu
Bhagavan Das
Associate

The essential unity of all religions By Bhagavan Das

Post by Bhagavan Das » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:37 am

The essential unity of all religions By Bhagavan Das

http://books.google.com/books?id=orXCm_ ... &q&f=false