Joseph Campbell’s papers now available at the New York Public Library!
Location: New York Public Library Manuscripts and Archives Division Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, New York, NY 10018-2788
In The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell famously wrote, “The latest incarnation of Oedipus, the continued romance of Beauty and the Beast, stand this afternoon on the corner of 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, waiting for the traffic light to change.” Why that corner? Because it was the location of one of Campbell’s favorite buildings, the main branch of the New York Public Library.
Joseph Campbell Foundation is very excited to announce that the New York Public Library’s Archives and Manuscripts Division now houses the collection of Joseph Campbell’s personal papers, including his correspondence, journals, drafts and manuscripts, teaching and research notes, audio and video recordings, and photographs, as well as press clippings on Campbell and his work.
NYPL’s collection of Joseph Campbell papers date from 1905 to 1995 (most date from 1930s–1980s), and consists of materials related to Campbell’s career as a college professor, lecturer, researcher, and author. The collection is arranged into eight Series, and holds Campbell’s original writing; teaching materials; files from his appearances in film and television; his research files; correspondence; photographs; and press clippings. Campbell’s files detail his research and writing work on mythology and literature, and chronicle the many lectures he gave throughout his career.
Campbell’s personal library, including hundreds of annotated books, as well as personal mementoes and artifacts, remains at OPUS Archives & Research Center at Pacifica Graduate Institute in Carpenteria, California.
The New York Public Library has provided a search tool for the collection, which is available online. The collection is housed in the NYPL’s Manuscripts and Archives Division and may be accessed in the Brooke Russell Astor Reading Room on the third floor of the library’s main branch, the Stephen A. Schwartzman Building.